Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:17:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Damned Altar and Living Idol Question  (Read 1768 times)

Offline Grumbling Grognard

• Scientist
Damned Altar and Living Idol Question
« on: January 16, 2016, 03:54:51 AM »
P. 90 of my 2ed pdf for "Damned Altar" reads in part:

Using the Damned Altar

The Altar is set up by the Lurker player during deployment, at least 5” from any Lurker model. Any Human
or Humanoid Lurker in base-to-base with the Altar may spend an Action to make a sacrifice. Keep track
of the number of sacrifices each model has made using counters or a die. Immediately after making any
sacrifice Action, the model may choose to request a blessing from the Altar. Roll 1D6, add the result to the
number of sacrifices made by the model seeking the blessing, and consult the Damned Altar table to see
what the results of the foul prostrations are. Only one blessing may be sought by each Lurker model, so
choose when to contact your dark overlords wisely!

My question is how is a "model" defined or more exactly how do I use a mob of cultists making sacrifices?

Do I get +5 per mob per action thus +10 for a single turn of sacrafices by a single mob?   ...and then the effect is for the entire mob?   >:D

The living idol works much the same way with figures worshipping to add power counters.  How do I handle mobs for the idol as well?

Thanks,
GG

« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 05:56:44 AM by Grumbling Grognard »
Scott Clinton
(aka The Grumbling Grognard)

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
Re: Damned Altar and Living Idol Question
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 05:40:23 PM »
The rules (perhaps not specific enough in this regard...) require a model in base-to-base. The Mod template makes this problematic as only one model can be in base-to-base when placed next to the Alter (or idol...). I say, no to Mobs in this regard. If you must use a Mob then only one member can preform the Actions required. Hope that helps.

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 07:03:21 PM »
Hmmm...  Is this more of a "high priest" at the alter type of thing rather than a communion service?  Honestly the same question arrises for several other plot items as well like "The Devils Hop Yard".  Can a mob commit sucicide in the hopyard and gain 5 d6?  I gather no, or perhaps one at a time only?

I am trying to figure out how to use mobs of cultists at the hopyard, at the alter-service, etc.  The scenarios in question are for a convention, and will be using pre-built teams at ~55pts each and representing the final game the participants will play in a 4 hour time-slot.  So, I am using as much fun stuff as I think they can handle considering they are newbies and all. :)

Another example I have, and the one that made me stop and think is the "Living Idol".  My scenario involoves MiGo.  When one activates, they call can go and spend both activations worshipping the idol as it is the size of a large blast template (you could use a horde of leaders too I guess).  So... On the first turn Mr. Idol is up and about and really pissed off.   >:D  I am not sure that isn't too powerful.  Then the thought of mobs came up...and the alter...and hop yard...  ???

I want to keep a very strong Lovecraftian atmophere to every game and I doing that with cultists and traditional, Lovecraft critters but even more I like the scenario for the hopyard and some of the plot points like the Damned Alter and the Living Idol.  Thus my questions.  I can see how using mobs as a single figure will surely speed up the process for the Lurker player.  Not neccessarily a good thing considering how powerful some of the plot items are...   :)

Scott
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 07:58:38 PM by Grumbling Grognard »

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 06:05:56 AM »
I have played with these a bit and thought it over and this is how *I* am going to use/rule these plot points and scenario types...

The Damned Altar seems to work just fine for mobs.  1 mob = 1 base.  So, one action by the "mob" of praying is just 1 action for that mob.  When they ask for a blessing, it is for the entire mob (all the same, to keep it simple).  Seems to work fine and I like the idea of a mob of chanting cultists  all transforming...  or going poof!

The Living Idol appears to be written to allow mass worship and that damned-thing is as much a hazard to the Lurker as the good guy!  But in this case, one mob is actually 5 figures praying so it adds up quickly.  But, then again, I am using MiGo so it works the same way for them anyway.  ::)    I may back off on this plot point later after another test run or two and some player feedback form my group however.   ???

The last thing I was worried about that works this way was The Devil's Hopyard.  This insane crafting of Uncle Mike's is a bit different and is actually a freaking scenario so it is FREE should the Lurker get a good roll.  If I allow mass suicides by mobs the Lurker can call some big-ass daemons real, real quick.  On turn 1 with a tiny effort.  So, I just restricted the plot point to a single suicide per turn.  IMHO this is also not hard to rationalize/visualize with it being a true ritual and while technically a suicide it could very well require much ceremony (well, at least one action's worth!), even assistance by a priest (say with a big knife standing over them!  Thus...

House Rule for Devil's Hop Yard
Maximum of 1, single, figure, attempting suicide for the "Devil's Hopyard" per turn.

House Rule for the Living Idol and Damned Altar
Mobs may use the Plot Item in which case all references to "figure" are per mob (ex. Re. the bless for The Damned Altar roll one time and apply the effect to all figures in the mob)

« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 11:50:17 PM by Grumbling Grognard »

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 07:03:05 PM »
Another play of the Hop Yard with a pair of mobs and a dedicated "stall" technique with a Thousand Young and I am adding other House Rule...

Devil's Hop Yard/Damned Altar/Living Idol House Rule:
Any Lurker that is engaged in melee or hit by ranged fire loses all prayer/sacrifice/worship tokens for the plot device/Hop Yard.

Sorely needed if mobs are allowed to charge up the Hop Yard/Idol.  This also seems more in-theme to me.  I, personally, find it very hard to pray when I am being stabbed or shot!  :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 11:51:22 PM by Grumbling Grognard »