Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:17:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 40K Skirmish, Space Marines half squad  (Read 8936 times)

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 40K Skirmish, now with "truescale"
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2016, 10:21:38 AM »
Really cool conversions, I love these. I'm particularly interested in all the truescale stuff, so I find this highly interesting! :)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2016, 10:30:31 AM »
Now mine looks like it is almost sneaking around on its toes  :( Dunno what I could add to it to make it more dreadnought though... more skulls?  lol

I think the only problem with that Dread is the 'stiff' legs.
I think GW copped out on making it more poseable where they are concerned and there fore you have this silly pose.
I think cutting and reposing are the best option.
 ;)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2016, 12:08:34 PM »
Now that's a proppa Space Marine! I wouldn't fret the dreadnought pose too much. It passes muster. It's still a big, hulking robot-y thing.

I really like the trend for smaller more flavourful 40K stuff on here of late.

Me too. I hope this trend just keeps growing and eclipses actual 40K lol
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2016, 07:24:10 PM »
I really like the trend for smaller more flavourful 40K stuff on here of late. If you want more narrative and objective focused games you might take a look at pulp alley, its quite popular for 40k on here it seems. (I'm considering doing this myself)

I picked up the start collecting mechanicus box from work this week to use for pulp alley, frostgrave and IHMN 40k games.

This project is being bookmarked for my inspiraion/theft folder :)
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2016, 07:34:14 PM »
Nice work,cracking conversions mate :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2016, 04:15:54 PM »
@von Lucky: I might try something like to add to the base if not anything directly to the dreadnought itself.

@YPU: I have heard only great things about the Pulp Alley, I have thought about it for the BoB gaming but why not 40K as well?

@Mason: I think I'm not up to cutting the dreadnought... would need to get a second one to try that :)

@Rhoderic: maybe it's a nostalgia thing, getting back to the roots of 40K gaming :)

@nic-e: Will be grand to see your AM forces take shape, keep us posted :)

@Blackwolf; many thanks good Sir :)

Here's the second easy "truescale" marine, this time battle brother Ilarion, wielding the trusty equaliser aka heavy bolster :) Pictured with another battle brother and member of Adeptus Arbites:

All of the five marines will have studded should pad, I just like them that much! :D

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: 40K Skirmish, truescale heavy bolter 25 Jan
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2016, 07:01:31 PM »
While I like the idea of true-scale, I'd definitely struggle with the parts-cost.  I actually have parts here to do quite a few of them in the true-scale fashion, but I may shy away from it.  They do look awesome and I think that's the easiest/best way I've seen it done.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2016, 07:09:28 PM »
While I like the idea of true-scale, I'd definitely struggle with the parts-cost.  I actually have parts here to do quite a few of them in the true-scale fashion, but I may shy away from it.  They do look awesome and I think that's the easiest/best way I've seen it done.

Yes, it would be quite costly to do a whole army of them in truescale but since I aim to have a half squad of so for a more narrative type of gaming, I decided to be a "big-spender" and get the needed bits, mainly the GK torso back parts. Of course that leaves me with plenty of extra bits which will hopefully be useful later on. And if not anything else, I can always try to trade bits for bits :)

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2016, 10:39:23 AM »
@YPU: I have heard only great things about the Pulp Alley, I have thought about it for the BoB gaming but why not 40K as well?

Yes, Pulp Alley definitely works for 40k stuff. We've just kicked off a campaign: http://preacherbyday.blogspot.com/2016/01/the-last-stand-pulp-alley-game.html

Lovely work on the truescale marines too. The perfectionist in me wants to try, but I don't want to scrap the normal marines I have painted so far!

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2016, 12:10:04 PM »
Yes, Pulp Alley definitely works for 40k stuff. We've just kicked off a campaign: http://preacherbyday.blogspot.com/2016/01/the-last-stand-pulp-alley-game.html

Lovely work on the truescale marines too. The perfectionist in me wants to try, but I don't want to scrap the normal marines I have painted so far!

Looks great that game of yours!  8) Where can I found the info regarding the rules?

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2016, 12:32:31 AM »
Looks great that game of yours!  8) Where can I found the info regarding the rules?

you can get the rules free (not the league creation rules though iirc) from the Pulp alley website. A great, versatile set of rules, adaptable to anything, cannot recommend them enough.

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2016, 10:57:17 AM »
Yes, free quick start rules here: http://store.pulpalley.com/category-s/1823.htm

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2016, 11:29:23 AM »
Thank you gents, will check them asap. Pulp Alley has been on the list to be purchased so maybe I need to do that soonish.

In the mean time, third marine appears. A regular battle brother, so to speak (the one on the left):

Now, there's still two to be made, one will be the sergeant, saving him the last as I need to decide what kind of chap I want him to be. Part of me wants to give him a power glove but also just bolt pistol + chainsword combination would look nice. Then again there are some nice combi-weapons in the BAC box sprues... decisions, decisions... Oh well, the fourth one will be special weapon (plasma I guess) wielder nevertheless.

Offline JoeRugby

• Scientist
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2016, 10:55:28 PM »
Really like your true scale marines Pocoloco.  :o

They still look like marines from the waist down unlike most true scale marines that use terminator legs.

Thanks to the rest for the pulp alley links  :)

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 40K Skirmish, battle brother Flames
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2016, 12:04:59 PM »
Many thanks JoeRugby, glad you like them but honestly I am a mere copycat, true credit for the idea must go to Tabled Podcast as stated earlier one. The conversion work is just perfect for me, cutting and glueing and no GS work needed (unless one wants to, that is).

Here's the fourth member of the Space Marine half squad, battle brother Flammeus:

Next stop Sergeant and another agent of the Masters of the Red Planet...