Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:00:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686650
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gothic Buildings for Rogue Trader; Warhammer and Frostgrave  (Read 1346 times)

Offline Legiocustodes

• Scientist
  • Old school gamer since 1990!
    • Oldhammer 40k
Gothic Buildings for Rogue Trader; Warhammer and Frostgrave
« on: January 24, 2016, 01:25:40 AM »
I am a firm believer that you can't play games like Rogue Trader without some decent terrain to fight over; after all the whole purpose of these sorts of game is to enable the players to suspend their disbelief and this is far easier to achieve when incorporating some gorgeous looking scenery into the battle.

As you may know from my other posts I am running a Rogue Trader campaign on my blog at the moment http://classicastartes.blogspot.co.uk/ and as part of this project I've sworn to try and generate some bespoke terrain for each battle fought. The next skirmish will be taking place in a Sisters of Battle outpost and so I decided I needed to produce some suitably Gothic monastic-looking buildings to represent this facility.

Luckily Pegasus miniatures produce some excellent scenery that fits this vibe nicely and so I have spent the last couple of weeks vigorously spraying, washing, glazing and drybrushing three of these fantastic sets. (There is a full tutorial of how the following buildings were painted here: http://classicastartes.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/scenery-warhammer-oldhammer-frostgrave.html?showComment=1453552801116#c1197235530982311650 )

The sets I have selected are two variants of the Gothic Small Building and one Large Gothic Building, luckily the parts are all interchangeable so there is an endless variety of configurations you can make if you decide to mix and match the assorted sets.

I also used this Rogue Trader scenery project to have a go at my first attempt at Object Source Lighting and if you look very closely behind the torches/lanterns on the models you might be able to make out the reflection of the flames on the walls.

I had a couple of MDF Gothic walls lying around that I had acquired some time back, so I thought I might as well paint these up too as they also had a very Rogue Trader feel to them. I'd never used MDF scenery before and always viewed it as a bit of a cheap option, however once I put my wargamer's snobbery aside and set about assembling and painting these kits I was really impressed, and once the paint had been applied they really blended in well with their plastic counterparts.

Additionally a good friend had given me a large MDF ruined sky scraper that he could not motivate himself to assemble and so I decided to give this kit a quick go as well, and again I was pleasantly surprised with the results.  Don't get me wrong, I am aware this doesn't look quite as good as my plastic scenery but at a quarter of the price this is a concession that I am willing to consider. Also when you have a large battlefield with a significant number of plastic structures it is easy to hide these MDF versions in the cityscape and as such they make useful and cost effective fillers.

Overall I am very pleased with how this selection of terrain has turned out and I am keen to get them deployed on the table top for a few games of Rogue Trader in the near future!
Check out my blog for all things 30k, 40k, Oldhammer and tutorials:
http://classicastartes.blogspot.co.uk