Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:37:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691082
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Super System 4th ed questions  (Read 4261 times)

Offline Zeebeest

• Bookworm
Super System 4th ed questions
« on: October 07, 2015, 12:25:29 AM »
Hi,

I have some questions about the rules especially about creating heroes. I've been looking all over the Internet for answers but didn't find any, so I hope there are some people her who can help me out.

1. When buying a weapon which brings your damage to super level, do you have to buy super Strength or a super on your weapon? Example: Weapon 2D and Strength 5, giving you damage 7D, needs Super (on weapon) or Super Strength? Or a Ranged attack 5D with Marksman 2, giving 7D Strike Dice, needs Super (on Marksman) or super Strike?

2. When buying Linked Powers, do you discount -10% from the total of the combined powers or for each power separately and the add those up? It seems to me that taking the discount after adding up all powers gives you more points back.

3. When making a Gadget Pool you can combine multiple powers but the total points for those powers can't be more than the points allowed for that slot before adding modifiers? Example: 30BP, Full slot Ranged Attack 5D (15pts) + Super 3 (14pts) + no range mod (-50%) + Blast AeO only (+0%) =15pts

4. When making an Elemental Control Pool you can only add one power to a slot but the total points for that power can be more than the total points allowed before adding modifiers? Example: 30BP, Full slot Ranged attack 14D (42pts) + Super 3 (14pts) + No range mod (-50%) + Blast AeO only (+0%) = 28pts

5. When making an Elemental Control Pool can you add super (attribute or normal) and other modifiers to the selected power or not? Example:  Ranged attack 14D + Super 3 + No range mod + Blast AeO only

Thanks,

Zeebeest
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 05:53:42 PM by Zeebeest »

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
Re: Super System 4th ed questions
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 08:00:55 PM »
Hi,

I have some questions about the rules especially about creating heroes. I've been looking all over the Internet for answers but didn't find any, so I hope there are some people her who can help me out.

1. When buying a weapon which brings your damage to super level, do you have to buy super Strength or a super on your weapon? Example: Weapon 2D and Strength 5, giving you damage 7D, needs Super (on weapon) or Super Strength? Or a Ranged attack 5D with Marksman 2, giving 7D Strike Dice, needs Super (on Marksman) or super Strike?

Either one will work, so long as you have one level of Super to cover the 7D pool.

2. When buying Linked Powers, do you discount -10% from the total of the combined powers or for each power separately and the add those up? It seems to me that taking the discount after adding up all powers gives you more points back.

Each power separately.

3. When making a Gadget Pool you can combine multiple powers but the total points for those powers can't be more than the points allowed for that slot before adding modifiers? Example: 30BP, Full slot Ranged Attack 5D (15pts) + Super 3 (14pts) + no range mod (-50%) + Blast AeO only (+0%) =15pts

Correct.  That would count as a full slot since its powers cost 29 points, but only use half the pool points due to disads.

4. When making an Elemental Control Pool you can only add one power to a slot but the total points for that power can be more than the total points allowed before adding modifiers? Example: 30BP, Full slot Ranged attack 14D (42pts) + Super 3 (14pts) + No range mod (-50%) + Blast AeO only (+0%) = 28pts

Definitely not, Powers in an ECP are costed and added to a slot in the same way as a Gadget Pool.  No power in any pool can exceed the max pool points (before disads).
The difference between the pools are as follows:

Gadgeteers don't assign powers to their slots at
   purchase time.  They can completely change the powers
   in their slots between scenarios.  Aside from the
   obvious versatility that grants, they really get a boost
   if they know who they'll be fighting next battle :).

ECP models, do assign the power at the time they buy
   the slot, but can vary their allocation in any or all
   their slots from turn to turn.  One turn their Ranged
   attack may be AOE, but the next turn they can spend
   their APs to change the slot to a normal RA, but it's
   always a Ranged Attack of some kind.

5. When making an Elemental Control Pool can you add super (attribute or normal) and other modifiers to the selected power or not? Example:  Ranged attack 14D + Super 3 + No range mod + Blast AeO only

Not sure you're asking here, but if I read it correctly, the answer is yes (see the RA example in previous answer).  However, as noted above, no power can exceed the max pool limit (which you've done in this example).

Hope this helps!
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline Zeebeest

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 03:28:00 PM »
Thank you very much!

The ECP was the most confusing, but now it's very clear.

Again, thank you.

Offline Zeebeest

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 09:46:02 AM »
Hi guys,

Another small request.

I own the ss4 rulebook from lulu, but don't own the pdf and would very much like a quick reference sheet for my first plays. I could fotocopy the page from my rulebook, but I prefer a nice and neat printed one, so if someone could provide me with the pdf page that would be awsome. It's page 165 and 166.

Thanks,

Zeebeest.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 04:32:42 PM »
Zeebeest, I think I replied to you on this via email, but let me know if I did not.

My memory is poor!  ;)

Offline Zeebeest

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 06:15:37 PM »
Back with some more questions.

1. Can you combine Hyper Attack or Phase Attack with combat maneuvers or powers like Implacable Charge? Since both attacks state that it is either a Strike vs Dodge roll or a normal attack roll, I would say yes, and flurry gives a nice cinematic and over the top powerful combo btw.

2. What counts towards a dice pool cap? As i see it, only attributes and powers marked with a 'dice symbol' count, leaving other powers, mods, boons, banes, combat maneuvers and carried dice to exceed your dice pool cap.

3. Can you combine Density Decrease with Bodyguard? The way I understand it, a Density Decreased model can be the target of an attack but doesn't suffer effect from it (with some exceptions of course), thus it must be able to do so with Bodyguard. Very sick combo if you can do this :)

4. Can you use (not attack) powers more than once per turn? Say Hyper Move 3 times in a row if you have enough AP?

5. Do you have to pay AP to land with a model in flight or only for taking of?

6. Just to be sure, Cloak blocks line of sight, right? and if so how high is the cloak, we figured it's a sphere in radius. And what is the standard radius of a cloak not centered around a model (Ranged Cloak for example)? I'd say 2" since it normally radiates 1" around a model and standard bases are 1".

Well, that's it for now,

Thanks,

Zeebeest.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 11:14:00 PM »
Sorry, I am in the fire academy now, don't often have Internet access, and really don't game any more.

You can definitely Hyper Move multiple times.

I would say no on combining BG with DD. It's technically ok, but a kind of crappy, gamey thing to do. I'd outlaw it for my games.

The only thing that can exceed dice caps are dice carried over from attacks. Anything else, just use the dice caps. Everyone will be happier for it.

Hope this helps.

I may not surface again for some time--we just finished medical and are heading into firefighting proper, and that will take everything I have.

Good gaming!

--Scott

Offline Zeebeest

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 06:02:34 PM »
Thanks scott,

wish you the best and have fun.

Greetings,

Zeebeest.

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 03:22:58 PM »
Sorry, I am in the fire academy now, don't often have Internet access, and really don't game any more.

You can definitely Hyper Move multiple times.

I would say no on combining BG with DD. It's technically ok, but a kind of crappy, gamey thing to do. I'd outlaw it for my games.

The only thing that can exceed dice caps are dice carried over from attacks. Anything else, just use the dice caps. Everyone will be happier for it.

Hope this helps.

I may not surface again for some time--we just finished medical and are heading into firefighting proper, and that will take everything I have.

Good gaming!

--Scott

Congrats on the Fire Academy Scott.

Wondering though, what this means for the future of Supersystem and the other Goalsystem games.

~Eric

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 04:02:03 PM »
Joe D., Rico, and to a lesser extent, me, will continue to manage the rules and in time, develop new sets.

Once I make it out of the academy, I'll be working two 24s per week, so that should give me some more hobby time.

Hope this helps, and thanks for the well wishes!