Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 04:00:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691270
  • Total Topics: 118383
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Could Ospreys new Sci-Fi gang skirmish game revive many a dead Necrmunda crew ?  (Read 10328 times)

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
    • War In A Box - New Location!
I'm already sold.  Just let me know when you are willing to take my money.  I don't even care when the publish date is, just tell me when I can pre-order through Amazon.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
We played SoBH last night and had a blast.

I thought the deal was that this is not going to be SoBH in space, rather something different from Mr. Sfiligoi?

Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
I thought the deal was that this is not going to be SoBH in space, rather something different from Mr. Sfiligoi?

Yep - new system. It'll still be somewhat familiar to players of SoBH though.

As one of my ongoing projects is sci-fi urban gang war (not particularly cyberpunk-themed, but more of an amalgam that does include some cyberpunk but also Judge Dredd, Cowboy Bebop, Batman's Gotham and other stuff), could I hope to use Rogue Stars for gaming these? For instance, will there be "squad themes" to represent organisations like street gangs, mafias, cults, undercity scavengers, police forces, secret "government security forces" and corporate mercenaries?

Yes. A gang's theme is a crucial element of gameplay. Theme (cult, bounty hunters etc.) provides common traits and equipment for characters (e.g. cultists may not have access to heavy weapons, but will be able to tap into psychic powers). Then, each gang (regardless of theme) chooses a tactical discipline that provides a focus for their operations. These disciplines might be things like the gang leaning towards melee, or having high morale. Between theme, traits, equipment and tactical disciplines, there's a huge variety of approaches you can take - so even two 'Mercenary' forces will almost certainly look and play very differently.

I'm (slowly) building a force of pirates that specialize in teleportation-enabled hit and run assaults...
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
If most of us are completely honest, the arrival of Frostgrave and Dragon Rampant have been seized upon by previous disillusioned Warhammer players to find a new purpose for their painted figures.....
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com

It was more a statement on enjoying his games rather than the mechanics of the upcoming rules. Which I heard were going to be different. Sorry I wasn't clearer.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
Dentatus, all good. Looking back at my post I'm sure I jumped the gun. A lack of tea, no doubt.  :)

If most of us are completely honest, the arrival of Frostgrave and Dragon Rampant have been seized upon by previous disillusioned Warhammer players to find a new purpose for their painted figures.....

Indeed, dusty old 'fantasy' treasures have been coming off the shelf and out of boxes chez nous, so with any luck some neglected sci-fi minis will soon get their day in the sun once more.

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
I have a LOT of sci-fi and near-future miniatures from different manufacturers that have been begging for a game that will allow them all to appear on the tabletop. This could well be it. I'll definitely be picking it up.  If it's relatively straightforward, easy to learn, and offers not just some good sci-fi flavor but some tactical variety and fun, it could be just the ticket.
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline Cergorach

• Student
I'm curious for the new Osprey games...

Bublegum Crisis minis:
http://www.groundzerogames.co.uk/index.php?_a=category&cat_id=132

Frostgrave is new, Mordheim is new. Also, most of us, when starting a new group are thinking "How much is this going to cost us with expensive OOP ebay figures!?!?". I'm on the converting plastic minis bend, but not everyone is. Frostgrave gives you far more choice on how to build your group. I've seen groups made from GW minis, all Reaper Bones, folks are planning to use Zombicide Blackplague heroes, etc. Many folks had a new spurt in the terrain making section. Folks now have a reson to paint their monsters and not use them in RPGs.

I think that Infinity is picking up a lot of the sci-fi skirmishing, but lacks campaign/experience mode and pretty much requires Infinity miniatures. A new Osprey game would mean more flexibility in minis and hopefully some sort of campaign/experience system. But we'll see...

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
I know it says "Skirmish Wargaming in a Science Fiction Underworld" on the cover, but wonder if this could be used for a Star Trek style landing party/away team game? I'd normally use Pulp Alley, but playing Frostgrave has reignited my love for D20 games.

Offline baldlea

• Librarian
I'm in this camp too. I own Frostgrave but haven't played it. From reading it through, the system looks terrible.

I'm completely retracting this comment. I played Frostgrave for the first time the other night and loved it. A fun, chilled out game.

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
I know it says "Skirmish Wargaming in a Science Fiction Underworld" on the cover, but wonder if this could be used for a Star Trek style landing party/away team game? I'd normally use Pulp Alley, but playing Frostgrave has reignited my love for D20 games.

Absolutely. It's even got rules to model tactical teleporter use.

I'm completely retracting this comment. I played Frostgrave for the first time the other night and loved it. A fun, chilled out game.

Hey! Glad you enjoyed it!

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
Absolutely. It's even got rules to model tactical teleporter use.

Now I'm intrigued.

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
It's even got rules to model tactical teleporter use.

Hmm. I'm now thinking Blake's 7…  :D