Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:57:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691091
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Coyote Rock - An Old West Outpost: Update - Blacksmith and Outbuilding  (Read 11295 times)

Offline Monkey

• Bookworm
    • KT Nestboxes
Re: Coyote Rock - An Old West Outpost: Update - Nodding Donkey
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2016, 05:27:38 PM »
I didn't realise they were so far out. I'll have to have a think about it and see how I feel. At the minute I'm still leaning towards if it looks good, it can stay, but I won't know how it looks till I get the whole setup out and play a game or two. I suppose there is always ebay if they don't sit right or opponents keep questioning it.
http:www.ktnestboxes.co.uk

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 06:35:37 AM »
Keep the rigs for other games.  Just build a more appropriate one - google early Pennsylvania oil fields and you should get a scad of ideas to work with.  Or just think in terms of really tall and skinny water tank support tower with a windmill sort of thing on top but not a windmill.  More or less.

Offline Monkey

• Bookworm
    • KT Nestboxes
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2016, 08:26:22 PM »
Ok, so moving on from the dubious oil well... I painted the other Perry's cabin.

The photography isn't brill, the contrasts between the colours don't look as strong in the flesh (or at least I don't think they do). I've shamelessly stolen Mason's sign method which I saw on his Upshot Creek Thread and I think it works a treat.

If I'm honest this building and the other Perry's ones are a little on the small side (They are fairly clear 25mm, whereas I've gone with all Black Scorpion models) but they will do for now. Maybe if I make good headway they can be replaced at some point, but that is likely to be a few years away for now.

Next on the list is the TT Combat Moonshine Distillery, this has the opposite problem, in that it's a little on the large size (aimed at Malifaux I guess?). I've got other bits and guys to crack on with too. I think next on the list will be the Sarissa blacksmiths, I'm also planning on going to the Hammerhead show in March so I'll see what I can pick up there too. I've got my eye on other things (spent a good part of the day looking at the Grand Manner site which I'd never seen before - they have some nice stuff on there, but it's not cheap  :-[ )

In the meantime I have a question about gaming mats. Firstly size. I'll be playing DMH which specifies 3x3ft, but I was thinking 4x4ft would be better.
I was also thinking of this one - http://www.deepcutstudios.com/product/wargames-terrain-mat-steppe/ mainly because I like their Frostgrave one and I could buy two at once. Does the background image suit? Can anyone suggest a better one. Also what material should I go for? I like the idea of mouse-mat, but it's the most expensive option. My worry is the thinner ones won't lie flat. Does anyone have any experience with mats made of other materials - is this likely to be a problem?

Thanks.  :)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
You've done it well.  I was rather unimpressed with the Perry house I built (surprising since I quite love their plastic figures).  I'd pass on future ones.  You did that one some proper justice though.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
You've done it well.  I was rather unimpressed with the Perry house I built (surprising since I quite love their plastic figures).  I'd pass on future ones.  You did that one some proper justice though.

You have.
I used to have one but never got around to doing anything with it.
This is the second one that I have seen recently that has made me regret that decision, although I already have enough stuff in the pile to make a few more buildings so it may never happen now.
 8)

Nice sign too.
 ;)

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
Sell the oil rig and get more chickens  lol I really liked the chickens and dog and their buildings.

Offline Monkey

• Bookworm
    • KT Nestboxes
Thank you for all of the nice comments. I'll have to see if I cam find and more chicken stuff. I quite fancy a pig sty if anyone can recommend a good one? I quite like the visual thought of a guy jumping over a wall mid gun fight and finding himself knee deep in pig crap.

I also bought one of these today. It seems like a nice piece that will work in any period. http://stronghold-terrain.de/index.php/terrain/medieval/alter-schuppen.html

Nobody has any advice regarding gaming mats then?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 09:13:52 PM by Monkey »

Offline hentzau

• Librarian
We had a discussion about gaming mats back over in this thread.

I personally use a large piece of tan vinyl I got on sale at a fabric store.  I like the Deep Cut plains mat, with the idea of putting down road strips on it to define the town streets, but I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.  If I did get one, I would do it in mousemat material.

Hotz Mats has a mat that already has streets defined, but I don't own one.  I've seen some layouts on that mat that look pretty nice though.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
I cannot comment on gaming mats as I have no firsthand experience.
I use a two part board, each section being four feet by two, for most of my gaming that is pretty generic and painted a mix of 'sandy' colours with various 'scenic' materials on top of a textured wallpaper base layer.
This works for me, although it could do with a new lick of paint in places as it is five years old now and has seen a fair bit of wear (I even used it to stand on when painting the ceilings...) but it really has served me well over the years.
Worth considering.
 ;)

Some pictures that give the general idea....

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Hotz does a decent pre-painted road mat...but I've found their quality of felt and printing to be pretty inconsistent.  The new "hotness" is definitely colour printed mats made from 2-4mm thick mouse-pad material.  It's wonderful stuff - haven't seen a decent desert-with-roads one done though.

What I'd like is something akin to this, but for an Old West town:

http://www.deepcutstudios.com/product/wargames-terrain-mat-cobblestone-streets/

I have a Deep Cut Studio mat in "Steppe" and it's wonderful for non-town layouts.  I could even get away with a town on it, but I think the roads are a bigger part and should be present.  I use the Steppe mat for my Adobe town and games out in the wilderness.

Ideally, I'd go with Mason and build permanent boards but my storage abilities and space in my car are already severely hindered.  It's quite nice to roll up a mat (I use spare broom handles picked up at the hardware store to roll mine up) and take it that way.

Here is a picture of the Hotz Mat in use:

I will say, given the quality of other mats from other companies...Hotz is not that good.  That being said I've gotten a lot of use out of it.  Worth checking out Fat Mats and Cigar Box Battles etc. to see if they've made one.

Offline hentzau

• Librarian
Yeah, my gaming buddy has a custom Hotz mat and he was pretty disappointed for the quality he got vs the price he paid.  I just put that out there because your town looks pretty sweet set up on one, Elbows.   :)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
I've purchased numerous Hotz products in the past...with hugely differing quality.  I won't be ordering anything else.  The desert town mat I received is okay.  The naval mat with hexes (blue felt with hexes) is very nice - much nicer felt with very crisp and clean painted hexes.  The "European fields" mat I got for some WW1 air combat was...terrible.  Thin, fraying felt with piss poor paint on it.

They were one of the "only games in town" for a while, but I'd go anywhere else now.  Deep Cut is the only other one I own, but it's fantastic.

Offline hentzau

• Librarian
I've purchased numerous Hotz products in the past...with hugely differing quality.  I won't be ordering anything else.  The desert town mat I received is okay.  The naval mat with hexes (blue felt with hexes) is very nice - much nicer felt with very crisp and clean painted hexes.  The "European fields" mat I got for some WW1 air combat was...terrible.  Thin, fraying felt with piss poor paint on it.

They were one of the "only games in town" for a while, but I'd go anywhere else now.  Deep Cut is the only other one I own, but it's fantastic.

Funny.  The Hotz mat I was referencing above was a European fields mat as well.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
I'm on my second Cigar Box mat, and I'm very pleased with both. My desert mat for Troy most likely will also get the role of Mexico in the very near future... ;)

Offline Monkey

• Bookworm
    • KT Nestboxes
Wow! thanks for all of the suggestions. In an ideal world I'd go for a Mason style permanant board (especially if it can double as a step  lol ) but I just don't have the space. I'll have a look through all of the other websites that have been suggested, but I think I'm still favouring the deep cut studios.

Elbows, did they ever respond to you once you'd sent off the suggestions from the other thread?

Thanks  :)