Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:32:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691073
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Coyote Rock - An Old West Outpost: Update - Blacksmith and Outbuilding  (Read 11292 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
The last email I got from them was that they were going to pursue making roads which they could lay-over a normal mat...and weren't sure if they were going to do a full road mat themselves.  I'll fire off another email sometime and see if they've made any progress.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Monkey

• Bookworm
    • KT Nestboxes
Right, got a bit of a bumper update. The missus has been working away again, so I've set about using my extra spare time wisely (I'll do a bumper chore night the day before she gets back to get everything ship shape again) to make some progress with the painting.

So without further ado, here are some more of the residents. This takes me up to 20 painted guys now, so finally enough for a decent game - (it's taken about a year  :o :( to get this far!). For a chance the photos aren't too bad either, so if anyone has any suggests for improving the painting, feel free to say.

I also finished building number 4. It's the TT Combat moonshine distillery. I've left off the massive crates and barrels though, as they just didn't seem to fit. I think I'd describe this as solid but uninspiring. I might add a sign at some point, but for the minute I don't think a town with only 4 houses would support that many businesses. The roof is detachable, which is great, but I've found that as this is scaled at the 30mm end of things, it does jar a little when sat next to the Perry's buildings which are more true 25mm. I might have to ditch something here at some point in the future, but for the moment, beggars can't be choosers.

http:www.ktnestboxes.co.uk

Offline Monkey

• Bookworm
    • KT Nestboxes
My Stronghold Terrain old shed arrived as well. I'm really please with this, both the model and the paint job. It's such a characterful model which will fit into all kinds of settings. The roof is fixed on, but I don't think that matters.

Once I'd finished this i did lay everything out to see how it looks, and it actually looked ok, kind of like a fledgling settlement, which was a nice surprise.

I went to the Hammerhead show yesterday, as it's nice and local. I was specifically looking for more buildings for my town. I spent the majority of my budget on a figure case and some bargainaceous 7th Voyage rule books, but I did pick up the Sarissa blacksmiths and a Timeline Miniatures outbuilding. I also bought a 4ground windmill as I wanted to see for myself what the pre-painted stuff was like. I'm actually quite impressed and might pick up a few more of their products in the future.

Offline Monkey

• Bookworm
    • KT Nestboxes
Right, it's been a while without an update, but I have finally done some stuff.

First up is a little mdf shed/out builiding I picked up from Hammerhead. It doesn't open, but it was £4 so I can't really complain. I'm pleased with how it's turned out, although I wonder if it is a little clean looking? I'm a bit hestitant to try weathering it, as it's not something I'm that good at, and I'm worried it won't look very good afterwards.

I also bought the Sarissa Blacksmith. I think this is a pretty cool kit and I'm pretty happy with how it looks too. It's a fairly generic piece so I'm sure it will see use in other games as well. I did wonder if I'd messed up the sign by adding too much sepia wash when trying to mute the white of the paper, but it doesn't look too bad in the photos.

I'm thinking my use of generic buildings might be diluting the old west feel of my fledgling town a bit, so I think I'll probably get some of the small Sarissa old west buildings next to try and bring this back a bit.

As always any comments are gratefully received.  :)

Offline pops

• Scientist
    • Wargamers PX
Wow!  I love what you did with the flooring in the blacksmith's shop.  Just recently put that one together myself.  Now I use your photo to try the finishing touches! 

Great job!

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
The Blacksmith's looks great, have you got a photo of all your buildings together yet?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
The Blacksmiths is excellent, one of the Sarissa kits I considered picking up!