Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:10:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Caulking, canvas and glue  (Read 2154 times)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Caulking, canvas and glue
« on: February 03, 2016, 08:25:24 AM »
Hi,

I just finished my first caulking+canvas roads and I'm a fan. Love the effect and how easy they are to do. But I don't like the roads to be just brown pieces of caulked canvas. So I want to add some turf and other finishing touches to them. I used wood glue as I thought super glue wouldn't be the best solution (super glue dries hard and I thought that wouldn't be handy on a flexible road). BUT wood glue contains some moisture that evaporates and thus the canvas and caulking have warped a bit. CURSES! This morning I applied some wood glue to the underside of the canvas to see if that would help.

But do you guys know what medium would work the best on the caulking, in order to glue turf and grass and such? I considered clear caulking, but that's a bit of a hassle and messy to do.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Caulking, canvas and glue
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 08:33:23 AM »
Just push it into wet caulk?

I just covered mine in sand while wet.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 08:37:57 AM »
Thought about that one, but that would interfere somewhat with painting and drybrushing the caulking. I'm using a white caulking with brown ink and brown pigment added. Works well, but I want to add some paint afterwards. The drybrushing is needed to make it pop and bring out the details IMO.
But it's a good option to try on some new roads to be done!

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 03:04:09 PM »
Most of the tutorials I have read do as rich suggested. Either laying down a thick layer of flock and rollering it into the caulk, which won't help you or scattering it onto the caulk.

Either way it implies that flock sticks to the caulk without glue so should work for you if you scatter in a specific pattern. I guess you must wait for the caulk to dry before removing surplus flock or you will get it all over, which will negate the effect you are after

Let us know how you get on, I intend to try this for fields and a base mat but still working up the courage to do it.

Did you put the caulk and paint in a mixing tub and then applied it with a spatula? Or mix in with on the road section.

Thanks

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 09:46:45 PM »
You might want to try to apply the glue/flock before cutting out the roads. I've flocked my mat with PVA glue and had no problems with warping… this was a 80x100cm mat.

Offline MattofWar

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 10:08:49 PM »
I think wood glue shrinks more than cheaper white school glue.  Or it's just stronger and able to pull things out of shape more.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 10:11:00 PM by MattofWar »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 01:45:04 AM »
Too late for what you've done already - but if you do more - try spray painting the whole thing, top and bottom, before any other steps (have to dry one side before painting the other!) and then follow your normal routine for the road and then add the texture.  Personally, I'd use acrylic house paint to hold the texture: gives another layer of color and works pretty darn good as an adhesive in my experience.  And it has a long enough drying time you can do a pretty good stretch and mix up a variety of colors and even textures to go beside the main road.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 02:21:28 AM »
I'd recommend Uhu for tufts and Copydex slightly larger areas.Pva will work if you start with a thin base layer and speed the drying with a hairdryer applying the heat form underneath first then the top.once the thin base coat is dry apply the layer of PVA you wish to add the detailing to .but it really is a case of less is more.Also spray mount adhesive works ,as does carpet adhesive (not the spray type though)it's flexible and strong but does require practice.
Mark.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 04:56:57 AM »
"Shoe Goo". It's clear, flexible like rubber/caulk, and will bond pretty much anything.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 04:59:01 AM by Connectamabob »
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 07:48:53 AM »
Wow guys, excellent suggestions and lots of options to try out! I'll try some and post the results here. Will take a while, but it will be done.