Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:35:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shadows of the Past Board Game  (Read 14164 times)

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shadows of the Past Board Game
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2016, 12:25:00 PM »
Yeah he was only ever in the IDW comics and the turtles are for the IDW licence versions too.

The stretch goals that came out are seriously rubbish and the gaps between them are stupidly high for what you get.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2016, 03:35:24 PM »
Neither of these options appeal to me.

The glass case turtles that were the food previews look great but as clix they seem to have lost the aesthetic and look like cheap toys.

Nice metal range of Turtles. Complete with van. That's what's needed!
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2016, 05:34:31 PM »
From today New York Toy Fair  :o

Offline wellender

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2016, 07:38:15 PM »
I am far more interested in the Batman Surfing with a Shark miniature.  Where has that been all my life?

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War

Offline Freelancer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2016, 02:00:57 AM »
I've been waiting to see if they release anything substantial, but they are really dragging it out with only a few extra mousers and the vague promise of bebop and rocksteady. I want Triceratons! I want Utrom and Fugitoid! Looks like I will be pulling out of my pledge before the end as I already have decent turtles, splinter and mousers.

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2016, 09:28:00 AM »
If Rocksteady and Bebop are unlocked ill stick with it.

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2016, 09:42:49 AM »
Dropped my pledge yesterday. Basically I got the early bird basic set, and sort of expected a few more recognisable characters. Unfortunately, all the characters I wanted were Works only, and the Bebop/Rocksteady announcement was the last straw. It just made the early bird not worth it for me personally, and the opportunity to get the works EB instead was lost. I just think the lack of transparency is a real negative of this campaign - even when they announce what the next stretch goal is, they don't give a target, they just say 'Will unlock at ????'. Meh.

Anyway, I took my cash and backed the new Conan RPG instead. Must have my nostalgia kick somehow! :-D

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2016, 05:03:06 PM »
Out of curiosity, what do you think buying the character add-ons that were "The Works" only would cost you at retail? If you figure even $10 USD each for small guys, like Casey and Splinter, and $15 each for big guys like Bebop and Rocksteady you're close to $50.

I know not everyone wants to or can move up to the higher pledge, but as the producer, if I put all the stuff in the cheaper pledge, no one will buy the bigger one. As a company trying to make a profit you have to spread it around a bit. I know a lot of people are unhappy about it, but it makes sense from a business standpoint.

Not saying what the next stretch target is however, is really lame. It's not a goal if you don't actually know what you're shooting for!
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2016, 05:31:43 PM »
A lot of people are comparing the game to the similarly priced Imperial Assault, but actually that game does not represent good value, so it's a poor comparison. I think the Works should have all the limited stuff, alternate version cards, special sculpts, extra scenarios, fancy box, signed art, etc., but not core gameplay stuff. If Bebop, Rocksteady and Splinter were add-ons for both versions, I'd have stayed in and raised my pledge. But they're stretch goals for the Works only - that means characters that I see as far more integral to the IP than those weird foot elite guys aren't in the base game. Does that make sense?

Also, no actual minis yet, and some pretty soft and featureless renders - doesn't fill me with confidence.

As a backer of Zombicide Black Plague and Conan, I know what a quality, high-value Kickstarter board game looks like, and how a campaign should be run (If I'd actually got Conan, that is, but I can be patient...) Sorry to sound harsh, I just really wanted to love it for nostalgia purposes!

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2016, 05:33:01 PM »
Added to that, if they'd announced how the campaign was going to work from day one instead of keeping their cards close to their chest, I might have gone for a Works EB. As it was, I got the standard EB, and ended up feeling like I hadn't got a good game out of it, so dropped out. Given their total right now, I don't think they'll miss me lol

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2016, 06:58:46 PM »
...they're stretch goals for the Works only - that means characters that I see as far more integral to the IP than those weird foot elite guys aren't in the base game. Does that make sense?

I think this is where the producers are in a no-win situation. What different groups of people see as integral to the IP is different. Depending on the version you grew up with, depth of knowledge about the various incarnations and the kind of gaming you're hoping to do with the stuff in the box(es).

I'm still holding out for some good shots of the miniatures myself, because if those don't materialize it won't matter. I'd pick up the clix for decent character renditions in 3d form if the IDW game minis don't look promising. So far I haven't seen enough to make me certain we'll get them, but I'm sticking around to see how it shakes out.

In all honesty, I don't need a turtles game at all. I've already made my own turtles, splinter and Casey, plus a few ninja and a shredder. They're not 'official', but they look good enough for me to be happy to game with them. Anything else that comes out is all just gravy now...

Offline Teskal

• Student
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2016, 07:39:09 AM »
Dropped my pledge yesterday. Basically I got the early bird basic set, and sort of expected a few more recognisable characters. Unfortunately, all the characters I wanted were Works only, and the Bebop/Rocksteady announcement was the last straw. It just made the early bird not worth it for me personally, and the opportunity to get the works EB instead was lost. I just think the lack of transparency is a real negative of this campaign - even when they announce what the next stretch goal is, they don't give a target, they just say 'Will unlock at ????'. Meh.

Anyway, I took my cash and backed the new Conan RPG instead. Must have my nostalgia kick somehow! :-D

It is possible to change the pledge amount to $140 if you have the EB or do it in the PM later.
One reason why I stick with the EB.

We could be happy that IDW tell us further SG's, even without the goal amount, not every KS does it.

I've been waiting to see if they release anything substantial, but they are really dragging it out with only a few extra mousers and the vague promise of bebop and rocksteady. I want Triceratons! I want Utrom and Fugitoid! Looks like I will be pulling out of my pledge before the end as I already have decent turtles, splinter and mousers.

I fear that the Triceratons, Utroms and Fugitoid need to wait after the KS. They will come most likely with the Krank expansion.

I think the KS can get 1 million without problems in the last 7 days, I hope we will see much more mini goals and not the crappy 4 ally card goals... (Ok, I think they are mostly a step inbetween to get the next SG like Bebop or Rocksteady.

... If Bebop, Rocksteady and Splinter were add-ons for both versions, I'd have stayed in and raised my pledge. But they're stretch goals for the Works only - that means characters that I see as far more integral to the IP than those weird foot elite guys aren't in the base game. Does that make sense?

Also, no actual minis yet, and some pretty soft and featureless renders - doesn't fill me with confidence.

I do not think that B & R or Splinter are so integral to TMNT. Splinter for example is not part of most missions. Even Casey was more often on a mission (2003 series) with the turtles as Splinter was.
B&R appeared not even in all comics or tv series, especially the Mirage comics, so what makes them so integral? They are cool (and I want them) and many like them so they are reused in the newest comics and the new 2012 tv series.

The foot bruisers and foot elite are important to give the foot clan soldiers more non-unique character varieties.

But about the soft and featureless renders I'm worried a little bit, too. IDW had also already earlier 2 board games with minis and it is the same producer for the TMNT minis. Does anyone know which company made the minis of the previous games? I do not even remember the names of these games...

I also wish more different poses for the foot and bruisers.

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2016, 09:00:55 AM »

I do not think that B & R or Splinter are so integral to TMNT. Splinter for example is not part of most missions. Even Casey was more often on a mission (2003 series) with the turtles as Splinter was.
B&R appeared not even in all comics or tv series, especially the Mirage comics, so what makes them so integral? They are cool (and I want them) and many like them so they are reused in the newest comics and the new 2012 tv series.

Haha. This is exactly why I think Obsidian3D is correct. The version of the turtles that I know and love is the original 80s Eastman and Laird comics, and the associated cartoon series from the early 90s. I've never even seen the 2003-2012 series (what's a Triceraton?). This probably explains why this Kickstarter isn't for me  lol !
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 09:02:44 AM by psyberwyche »

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2016, 09:09:30 AM »
The previous game they made is called V Wars. The company who made the minis for them will be doing Turtles too. Trying to get close up shots of the V Wars minis though is not proving easy.