Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:09:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Western Games Rules - whats good?  (Read 6248 times)

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
Re: Western Games Rules - whats good?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 03:19:58 AM »
I'm a fan of The Rules with No Name.  Just got my copy of the new book - pricey, but very nice.

You should still be able to get the free download of the Rules with No Name. I think I got my copy from Boardgamegeek.

Thanks, but I've already got my copy from Foundry.  It's clear where the cost came from - you get a hard cover book with glossy colour pages, including not only the basic and optional rules, but also a painting guide and a nice Gary Chalk article on building a western town.  I recommend it!  (but try the free version if you're not sure)

W

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 12:16:32 PM »
We use Savage Worlds with Deadlands Reloaded, which allows for the introduction of more fanciful elements (if you fancy it), 'steampunk' type elements, magic, undead, etc, etc.

You could also play it as a straight western if you prefer. 

Plays quickly, and handles quite a few protagonists (up to 30 models is fine - probably the most we have used, so far).

The added bonus is that you can use the same rules set (Savage Worlds) for other genres...

Offline Ruarigh

• Librarian
    • The Ooh Shiny Complex
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 12:26:19 PM »
Depending on the style of Western game you want, I like:

Sixgun Sound: Blaze of Glory (Twohourwargames) - small skirmishes and good solo play as well as a campaign system in the rules. Not for the control freaks among you.

Hey You in the Jail (RFCM / Peter Pig) - Small unit actions with mini-campaign set-up. These are fun and quick to play. Geared towards 15mm figures with some individual characters as leaders for groups of 3 figures per 30mm*30mm base.

Once upon a time in the West (Tabletop Games) - Smaller skirmishes. These rules have been around since the eighties at least. They come in four flavours, each of increasing complexity but we used to really enjoy playing them. They include stats for pretty much any gun that was used in out west too.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 12:29:42 PM by Ruarigh »
The greatest revenge you can have on a man that steals your wife is to let him keep her.

Offline Le matou rouge

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 03:15:30 PM »
Don't forget "Wanted : dead or alive" from Over The Wire

I don't try theses rules myself, but if they are as good as "The Wild Roses of Witchtown"... 

meow,
Matt
We are the Village Green Preservation Society
We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular
Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula
Ray Davies

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 04:11:03 PM »

Thanks, but I've already got my copy from Foundry.  It's clear where the cost came from - you get a hard cover book with glossy colour pages, including not only the basic and optional rules, but also a painting guide and a nice Gary Chalk article on building a western town.  I recommend it!  (but try the free version if you're not sure)

W

OK, maybe I should order one for myself too. Sounds interesting enough.
Far less active than I used to...

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 05:46:17 PM »
I'm a fan of The Rules with No Name.  Just got my copy of the new book - pricey, but very nice.

You should still be able to get the free download of the Rules with No Name. I think I got my copy from Boardgamegeek.

W

Was thinking more for Ducat, than you Will! If you're happy with the book that's fine, but just seems a bit too pricy for my tastes!
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline BigMecha

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 08:32:18 PM »
There is a game called - Boot Hill (role playing system).

You can use miniatures with the role playing system.  It doesn't say, but
it sure works well!!!!

::::: Ancients::::::::
:::::: World War I :::::::
::::::: World War II ::::::::
:::::::: Science Fiction :::::::
:::::::::::    Fantasy   :::::::::::::::

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2008, 02:20:26 AM »
My all time favorite is the old Avalon Hill boardgame "Gunslinger."  It was originally conceived as a miniatures game.  What's unique about it is the action card deck in which players have to pull and sequence two seconds worth of action cards.  The basic time increment is 0.4 seconds. Actions take anywhere from one to three increments, and can be delayed by the effects of wounds, falls, or blows.  It feels like the slow motion gunfight at the end of the movie "The Long Riders."  There's real tension in the play as players choose between movement, accumulating more aim on a target, or taking the shot.

"Gunslinger" uses a card deck to resolve gunfire based on the range and the amount of aim time accumulated on the target.  There is a chart for damage based on the variety of weapons available.  I particularly like the character sheet that has boxes for left and right hands and a both hands box where weapon counters can be placed.  It uses hex maps, but could be adapted for play without hexes.  I haven't tried the "Gunslinger" campaign system.

Unfortunately I get stuck playing other games because the players around here think AH "Gunslinger" is a little too elaborate for them.

Question:  Is "Wanted Dead or Alive" the game that uses a card deck instead of dice?
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2008, 10:18:44 AM »
There is a game called - Boot Hill (role playing system).
You can use miniatures with the role playing system.  It doesn't say, but
it sure works well!!!

Second that - I have a couple of rulebooks somewhere (used to have 3, but one mysteriously disappeared....  ::) ).

TSR btw.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84