Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:52:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690911
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Venus - a VSF campaign setting  (Read 35491 times)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Venus - a VSF campaign setting
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2009, 10:58:04 AM »

I really must apologise, I haven't updated this thread in some time..... I even have some stuff ready to post. I shall do it this weekend.

oohh exciting, can't wait to see what. :)

We must resurrect the campaign and plan a game for the future, I think we have all got sidetracked in some form or another. I still haven't done anymore work on the Queens own Venusian mounted rifles...!
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2009, 11:14:41 AM »
You've already read one of the pieces.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2009, 11:36:29 AM »
You've already read one of the pieces.

Ah,ha.. I know of what you speak now ;)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2009, 11:59:03 AM »
Okay, huge delay as I've not been online much lately. Here is a piece of setting info that answers a few background questions. I'll try and get another piece up this week too.

So, to understand this one, I'll have to give some background and technology info. In order for the colonization of the planets to take place, mankind has to reach for the stars. In order to do this, aetherships were invented. An aethership propels itself through the void of space; powered by an engine drawing its energy from the rich Luminiferous Aether through which the suns rays travel (gotta love Victorian science). However, an aethership is an incredibly expensive and resource heavy investment which only the wealthier nations could afford to build and are, at least partially, military vessels. So how to encourage travel, trade and colonization?

The answer was simple. It was discovered that once out of a planets atmosphere, the light from the sun was significantly brighter and more reliable, in that it didn't set, although could be obscured. To take advantage of this resource, solarships were designed and built with immense mirror sails which reflected the light from the sun and directed it onto the solarboiler which formed the core power source of these vessels. While many times more expensive to build than a traditional ship, these solar vessels were at least achievable and mankind started to expand into the solar system. The problem with solarships was speed. The aetherships were much faster and had access to what was theoretically limitless power, while the solarships were more akin to old sailing vessels, plying the winds and taking a long time to get anywhere, particularly if a planets orbit disrupted their light. A major problem was in reaching the outer planets. As the ships got further from the sun, the light grew less intense and the solarboilers produced less energy. A trip to the outer planets was deemed unreasonable.

A Spanish engineer and businessman, Severo Monturiol, dedicated his life to solving this problem, but came up with a solution in remarkably short time. Contacting his investors and swearing them to secrecy he gathered funds, materials and ships to prepare for an expedition. Before leaving, he told the papers that within two years, solarships would be able to increase productivity tenfold and that all the planets could be reached! For a small fee of course. His expedition left and was witnessed heading towards the sun. Nothing more was heard and many believed the expedition lost until eighteen months later, a ship from the expedition arrived in orbit around Venus and started assembling a platform in orbit above the planet.

Severo appeared before the gathering press and told them that they must be patient, all would be revealed soon. Two month's later, the platform was completed and Severo held a grand party aboard the platform inviting any and all notables and newspapers to bear witness to his creation. At the high point of the party, the ceiling of the hall opened to reveal a glass dome looking out across the platform. As the guests watched, sections of the platform, driven by enormous pistons, moved into position forming what looked to be an amphitheatre. Suddenly, that section of the platform was bathed in golden sunlight, even though the sun was not due to reach there for some time. Severo explained that he had created giant focusing lenses and mirrors which enable him to focus the suns rays into tightly controlled "tunnels" of light through space. By linking these lenses at each planet, the solarships would have access to guaranteed power and recorded shipping lanes to follow. What's more, the solar ship he had arrived on from his new company base on Mercury had moved into the new shipping lane and was reporting a doubling of engine efficiency. The planets were opened to all and Severo Monturiol was swiftly titled by the press. Long live the Sun King!

The aetherships were still the masters of the void; they're ability to travel anywhere and reliance upon no-one means that those with the power and money still covet these leviathans. Plus, if running on all power to engines, they were still faster. However, the solarships were now seen as the future of travel and for a reasonable fee could freely use the Sun Kings shipping lanes. Severo was aware that his platforms and technology represented a source of wealth and power all through the solar system and that others would covet that power. So in order to protect that interest, he formed a private army that would guard his installations and enforce company regulations if required. Very pleased with the title of Sun King, however unofficial, he has had the company troops and uniforms styled to give an air of opulence and prestige. Let none doubt that he who controls the sun, controls the trade.

Many have ridiculed the Sun Kings army as ceremonial troops and nothing more than showy 'toy soldiers', those that have faced them in battle are under no such delusions however. The Sun Kings wealth can hire some of the best troops available and most are ex-soldiers from the armies of sovereign nations. While ostensibly defenders of company platforms, moon bases and planetary offices, the Sun Kings army is a company asset and is required to provide income, as such, they have been involved in several wars and skirmishes acting as 'peace keepers' or 'security' to nations and individuals.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2009, 12:51:40 PM »
Wow, I really like that. Such a great idea  :o  :-*  :-*

Let none doubt that he who controls the sun, controls the trade.

And he who controls the trade, controls the solar system  ;)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2009, 01:10:09 PM »
And he who controls the trade, controls the solar system

At least the important bits :)

Glad you like it. Now my 18month old daughter is sleeping properly I might actually get some stuff done......... maybe....

I'd love to do a Sun King army, but it's definately at the end of the VSF Queue. For figures I was thinking Perry Isabilino troops with some alterations. I love the idea of these guys given 'Death's Head' gasmasks.

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2009, 01:16:35 PM »
What do you think the forthcoming plastics are for? :D
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2009, 01:39:25 PM »
The problem with the Napoleonics is the cut of the clothing is totally wrong for later Victorian stuff. However, the plastic heavy cav has breastplates etc which completely obscure that fact. I'd not looked at them previously due to them being Napoleonics.

Looks like I'll be doing at least one Sun King unit then, as they're mercs, they can go in any of my forces :D

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2009, 01:13:01 PM »
Great backgound write up Dewbakuk. Looking forward to more..... and painted goodies.  ;)
Don't!

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2009, 05:11:04 PM »
With the main re-enactment (event organising) season coming to a close during September, I will soon have more time for painting-up toys. Included in the first batch will be more stuff for my Frenchies ...
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2009, 09:50:11 PM »
Painting........ I haven't picked up a brush for about 2 months :(

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2009, 11:33:49 PM »
With the main re-enactment (event organising) season coming to a close during September, I will soon have more time for painting-up toys. Included in the first batch will be more stuff for my Frenchies ...

There is a VSF re-enactment movement in the UK? Perhaps I should not be surprised... :)

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2009, 10:29:51 PM »
There is a VSF re-enactment movement in the UK? Perhaps I should not be surprised... :)

Not VSF enactment - my main 'other hobby' after wargaming is mid-18th century historical re-enactment.

However, there is also a growing interest in steampunk in UK, especially via this forum:

http://74.126.25.104/bg-forum/

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2009, 02:46:32 PM »
Not VSF enactment - my main 'other hobby' after wargaming is mid-18th century historical re-enactment.

However, there is also a growing interest in steampunk in UK, especially via this forum:

http://74.126.25.104/bg-forum/

Ah. And 'enactment' is obviously the word we are looking for.

Offline Fuzzywuzzieswiflasers

• Scientist
    • Little lead men of valour
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2009, 03:37:06 AM »
That is a fantastic background. The Sun King concept is a great idea. All of this great background stuff would easily fit into a world VSF campaign. We could have atlantis stuff, Sun king stuff, Mars and venus stuff Brilliant!

Sun King for evil scientist faction maybe???  ;)

Cheers
Fuzzy
Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly
down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red
Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture,
torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals.
Blackadder 4