Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:03:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690542
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Simple Dragon Rampant Campaign System  (Read 2373 times)

Offline roberto

• Assistant
    • A frightful bestiary
Simple Dragon Rampant Campaign System
« on: February 05, 2016, 04:23:43 PM »
So I've just adapted the old campaign system from Warhammer Ancient battles to Dragon Rampant, its a simple system with no map and little book keeping. It would be great if I could get some feedback, I really don't do much writing, not sure how clearly I've written it and whether it'll make sense to anyone but me. It's only two of pages and most of that is charts.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15a-_LZbtSLsUcu0s-fv7ZJEGqOHXVZX34y1w-AAyHGA/edit?usp=docslist_api

Edit:

Thanks for the feedback here's the second version:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15a-_LZbtSLsUcu0s-fv7ZJEGqOHXVZX34y1w-AAyHGA/edit?usp=docslist_api

Any feedback welcome.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 11:46:33 PM by roberto »

Offline roberto

• Assistant
    • A frightful bestiary
Re: Simple Dragon Rampant Campaign System
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 04:24:47 PM »
Here's the copy pasted version if anybody has trouble with Google docs:
Dragon Rampant Simple Campaign System

Version 0.1

Credit where it's due this system has been adapted from the campaign system in the Warhammer Ancient Battles rulebook designed and developed by Jervis Johnson, Rick Priestley, Alan Perry and Michael Perry.

Armies

Players start their Warbands with a total of 18 points to spend. Players are restricted in the way they can build there warbands at the beginning of the campaign, they may choose from the following list of units:

0-1 Heavy Riders
0-1 Light Riders
0-1 Elite Foot
0+ Heavy Foot
0+ Light Foot
0+ Bellicose Foot
0+ Light Missiles
0+ Ravenous Hordes

Restricted Upgrades (you may only use these upgrades once you have gained the relevant territory):

Spellcaster
Enchanted weapons
Blessed weapons
Mystical Armour

Restricted Units (you may only use these units once you have gained the relevant territory):

Elite riders
Lesser Warbeasts
Greater Warbeasts
Heavy missiles
Scouts

Characters

As per the rules one miniature should be designated leader instead of rolling on the leader traits table, the leader of the warband automatically gets the Commanding trait. If the leader is killed in battle you must roll on the table and accept the result as per the standard rules.

Territory

Territories are generated by rolling on the territory chart, everyone starts with three territories one can be chosen the other two are randomly generated territories, note down their effect and give them a name if you wish.

Before each battle, each player must stake one of their territories. One extra territory should be generated after the battle, whoever wins the battle keeps there staked territory and can choose between their opponent's staked territory or the extra territory that has been generated. The loser keeps the territory that the winner didn't want. In the event of a draw the player with the least territories gains the extra territory. If both players have equal territories discard the extra territory. Spies and events cannot be staked.

A campaign can last as long as you wish, however it's probably best to set a limit which when reached the campaign finishes. A good limit is 12 territories when one player reaches the limit they win! If you are playing with more than two players you could let the first two players who reach 12 territories battle it out in a final game to win the campaign.

Raids

If your opponent has double the number of territories as you have you may perform a raid on their empire. In a raid Warband points are limited to 18 each and you may only benefit from the bonuses of 3 territories. No extra points can be added to the warbands regardless of which territories are used. Only territories used maybe staked.

Territory chart (D66)

11-13 Abandoned Shrine
Roll a D6:
1-3 one of your units gain enchanted weapons.
4-5 one of your units gain blessed weapons. 6 one of your units gain mystical armour. If the territory is lost so are the benefits.

14-15 Wild Lands
You may now include lesser and greater Warbeasts in your warband.

16-24 Town
If you have a town under your control, you may choose one unit in your warband; roll on the leader trait table, apply the result to one member of that unit.

25 Enchanted Lands
You may include a spellcaster in your Warband.

26 Fortress
You may include elite riders in your Warband.

31-35 Road
You may add D3+1 points to the total value of your Warband. Roll once when generated to fix its value.

36-42 Bridge
You may add D3+2 points to the total value of your Warband. Roll once when generated to fix it's value.

43 Pass
You may add D3+3 points to the total value of your Warband. Roll once when generated to fix it's value.

44-46 Plains
You may remove the restrictions on light and heavy riders and include as many as you wish in your Warband.

51-53 Mountains
You may include one unit of Scouts per Mountains in your empire. Mountains also allow you use heavy missiles unrestricted in your army.

54 Port
Every port adds one point to the fixed value of your roads, bridges and passes.

55-56 Trade Route
A trade route allows you to reroll a result on the territory chart after winning a battle.

61-62 Mine
Roll a D6 after each battle on a 6 you have struck gold. You will gain a points bonus of D3+5 for your next battle. This is a one off bonus.

63-64 Forest
For each forest in your empire you may include one unit of scouts in your Warband.

65 Spy
See the spies section for how to use your spy. A spy is not a territory, immediately generate another territory when you roll this result. If you are rolling after a battle the winner of the battle gets to keep the spy, if the battle was a draw both players get a spy.

66 Event
Whichever player has the most territories must roll on the event table and apply the result to his empire. If both players have equal territories roll off to see who is affected, the person who rolls lowest gets the event. Reroll any ties. An event is not a territory, immediately generate another territory when you roll this result.

Spies

A spy network allows you to sabotage your opponents Warband, before each battle roll on the chart below. Remember you can only have one spy network. Roll a D6.

1. Your spy network has been detected and your agents slain. You have lost your spy network.

2. Stolen maps, You may choose the territory that your enemy stakes before battle.

3. Assassin! Roll a D6 on a roll of 4, 5 or 6 your spy sneaks past the enemy leaders bodyguards. You must now fight a duel with the enemy general. Each player rolls 3D6, a 6 counts as a hit, whoever roles the most 6s wins. If there is a draw or nobody rolls any 6s the enemy leader survives, if the enemy leader wins the spy is slain before divulging details of the network. If the spy wins the enemy fights without a leader for this game and must reroll there leaders traits before the next battle.

4. Sabotage, choose one unit in your opponent's Warband roll a D6 on a roll of 4, 5 or 6 the unit starts at half strength points. You cannot target the enemy leaders unit.

5. Bribery, nominate one enemy unit, at the start of each turn roll a D6 on a 1 that unit will not do anything this turn. You cannot target the enemy leaders unit.

6. Poison, the units rations have been poisoned, choose one enemy unit, all activation rolls for that unit are at -1. For example a if a unit would normally need 6+ to move it will now need a 7+.

Events

Roll a D6 and apply the following result to your empire.

1. Plague, roll a D6 for each town in your empire on roll of 4, 5 or 6 that town is destroyed permanently. If you drop below three territories your people migrate, generate three new territories.

2. Brigands, roll a D6 for each road, bridge and pass you own, on a roll of 5 or 6 you will not get the points bonus for these territories for your next battle.

3. Corruption, whilst corruption reigns all bonus points from roads, bridges and passes are ignored, for each battle you fight from now on you regain one of the bonuses from one of the affected territories.

4. Mine exhausted, randomly choose one of your mines, it has now been exhausted and no longer can be used. Discard this territory.

5. Revolt, randomly choose one territory this no longer confers its bonus to your warband, to make matters worse the revolt can spread. If you loose your next battle choose another random territory to revolt this carries on until you win a battle where upon the revolt is crushed.

6. Volcanic eruption, one randomly selected territory is destroyed.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 09:36:46 PM by roberto »

Offline Vindice

• Scientist
    • And Then Dice Happened
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 05:22:35 PM »
I like it. Looks relatively simple. I'll try and give it a go.

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 09:06:33 PM »
Digging this. Thank you for sharing it here!!  Have you posted/shared in the Dux Rampant forums?

I will review over the weekend and provide feedback in terms of clarity for "general audience".
With goodwill to all and malice towards none...

http://dilettantegamer.blogspot.com/

Offline roberto

• Assistant
    • A frightful bestiary
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 12:23:03 AM »
Thanks chaps, I wrote this out quite quickly, looking at it now I can see a few things I'd change. I think I'll swap some of the territories around and rename them, I've taken most the names straight from the wab book and they don't make a lot of sense out of context. I'll probably make lesser beasts unrestricted as they are probably central to number of fantasy armies.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 09:53:37 AM »
Looks like fun, will hopefully persuade my gaming buddies to give it a whirl.

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 03:43:39 AM »
Keep refining it! It's a solid start and shows promise.

Again, have you shared it on the Dux Rampant forum?

http://duxrampant.yuku.com/

Offline Polkovnik

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 09:10:57 AM »
Looks good. I would keep lesser beasts restricted. You can choose one starting territory so if you want a particular restricted troop in your army you just choose the appropriate territory.

Offline roberto

• Assistant
    • A frightful bestiary
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 12:45:51 AM »
Sorry Dilattante, just posted it on the Duxrampant board.

Offline Dilettante Gamer

• Scientist
    • The Dilettante Gamer
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 03:05:40 AM »
Sorry Dilattante, just posted it on the Duxrampant board.

Nice! Same version as the one linked above or v2.0?

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 03:43:46 PM »
What happens to your units after a battle?  It wouldn't be unheard of for you to lose nearly all your warband.  Do units come back or are they destroyed for ever?  If so it wouldn't take long to be whittled down to next to nothing.  If you keep them then it would lose some of the "danger" and force preservation aspect.

Offline roberto

• Assistant
    • A frightful bestiary
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 11:44:43 PM »
Hi Jon, thanks for pointing that out I've added a bit about that to v2, Your units come back after a battle, unless you lose your general (you still get a leader but you reroll his traits). I suppose the danger comes from losing out on territory. It's quite a forgiving system which is why it's recommended the campaign ends when you reach 12 territories.

Thanks for the feedback here's the second version:

Added some bits about multiplayer games, organising battles and post game sequence. Also tidyed up the territory chart removed roads, bridges and the pass territory replaced with Hamlet, villages and towns. Also changed the town territory to chapel no longer need to roll on leader trait table, it now grants the Cleric/Slayer ability which has become restricted.
Any feedback welcome.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 12:11:28 AM by roberto »