Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:38:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Prodos Games: Space Crusade  (Read 13304 times)

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
Prodos Games: Space Crusade
« on: February 08, 2016, 07:26:46 AM »
Well, they didn't go KS route with that then.
https://www.facebook.com/prodosgamesltd/posts/561091097388883

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Prodos Games: Space Crusade
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 07:58:10 AM »
Well, they didn't go KS route with that then.

Understandably...

I don't think they'd be drawing anyone in on the basis of nostalgia; that has absolutely nothing to do with the original other than the title! ::) When I saw the title of the thread, I expected something perhaps along the lines of that Spanish Hero Quest anniversary edition.

Did they even acquire the rights to the title then? I can't imagine either GW or MB letting go of it so easily.

And without any doubt, we can say that this is no longer a gateway game, no matter the rules. I mean; look at those miniatures. They look like Kingdom Death and 40K had a liquor fueled raunchy night which they regretted almost immediately after, but hey; now they have a shared responsibility, so they better stay at least civil towards each other, right? lol

I'm not usually this judgmental before even playing a game or seeing the miniatures up close, but I really don't like it. Blame it on my nostalgia and very fond memories of the original, but; just no...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 08:00:03 AM »
Seen this the other night no idea about the game it's self but the miniatures with that game could have been really useful especially the crusade faction who would have been great Sisters of Battle proxies............. Until, that is, they decided to go the 14 year old boy wet dream fantasy route. I mean power armour bras and G strings aren't all that useful nor is putting on big armoured shoulder pads and greaves only to leave your midriff and ,no doubt, your belly button piercing on fully display. Shame really they are nice looking sculpts but their concept is stupid.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 08:14:41 AM »
Did they even acquire the rights to the title then? I can't imagine either GW or MB letting go of it so easily
The word on teh Interwebz looks to be that they did, but they obviously couldn't use Space Marines etc. so they decided to go the Rogin Shibolz route instead. Maybe the game is more alike the original than the minis.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 08:56:00 AM »
Had to check their FB page. I wish I hadn't. Those minis are just gross, I wonder who their target customers are? Or what kind of poor sods the people of Prodos are to produce stuff like that?  :-I

There should be a global campaign against this kind of stuff as there are campaigns against other sexist and misogynist organisations and companies.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 09:00:50 AM »
They're getting a lot of flak for the miniature , ahem, "design" on their Facebook page, I can imagine elsewhere as well. Poor Prodos, just can't seem to do things right...
I'll definitely give this one a pass and preserve the nostalgia of good old Space Crusade.

Offline Col. Aubrey Bagshot

• Mad Scientist
  • Remember... something
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 09:23:30 AM »
Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Spike Milligan

Offline wolfie907

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 09:30:04 AM »
i like the demon ladies they make a cool dameonette alterative so they make some sense not a lot but the space marine ones are dumb

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 09:49:42 AM »
Really?

Sarcastically, yes.  ;)  No actual pity present...

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 09:50:53 AM »
Well, these sculpts make me ashamed to be part of this hobby. That being said, I can completely see the commercial sense in this. Assuming they have a licence to Space Crusade they are they have a licence to make something that is specifically designed to substitute space marines, if not SM themselves. Now the design on the models is terrible, but the sculpting is quite good, good enough to stand next to GW and not look cheap. So with GW targeting 14 year old boys these might just sell all the better.

Also, as somebody on FB pointed out, some of the models are actually coloured in renders photoshoped onto pictures of bases. I'm not shitting you.  o_o lol
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 09:52:54 AM »
They went full retard - never go full retard..

Offline von der Tann

• Scientist
  • "Viel Feind - viel Ehr!" - Georg von Frundsberg
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 10:09:41 AM »
Why did they bother to put "armor" on them anyway? The armor only protects non vital parts. ;D
They should have dispensed with the "crusader" stuff and just called it "high-and-mighty-strippers-with-guns-hunting-high-and-mighty-stripper-demons-in-space".

I think they could really rake in some cash if they would produce good-looking (as in put armor all over their bodies) females in power armor.

But what the heck do I know? ....
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 10:20:31 AM by von der Tann »
"Viel Feind - viel Ehr!"
(Georg von Frundsberg, 1473 - 1528)

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 10:31:17 AM »
It's a real shame.

Instead of fully armouring them in those nicely detailed armour plates and making good 'counts as' Sisters of battle/female Space Marines, they seem to have chosen to produce these ridiculous, mysogenistic miniatures.

I can't understand the mindset behind them... but look at them and see how good they could have been with a more 'normal' approach.

Oh dear :(

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 10:38:20 AM »
I agree, those parts that are armoured actually look rather nice. But now they are just "that guy" miniatures.  :(

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 10:46:15 AM »
They went full retard - never go full retard..

Drank way too much Booty Sweat.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen