Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:03:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Scrappers: Post Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames by Osprey on sale NOW!  (Read 19365 times)

Offline seldon

• Scientist
Re: Scrappers: Post Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames by Osprey on sale NOW!
« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2017, 04:32:53 PM »
Absolutely correct, you cannot start in ambush in the standard scenario. Unless you have a trait like infiltrator.

I don't have my book at hand, looks like you caught an errata and it is critical to bring it up ! I clearly missed it by reading what I expected to read :).

Totally agree  that Scrappers needs to stand on it's own, that is how it is designed. Looks lika a good catch, hopefully Bob  Faust will add it quickly to the errata's. Fortunately they appear to be low.. maybe just 3 or 4, but this one is critical to understand the mechanic.

I hope my explanation helped, I believe from your proposed rephrasing that you have it right now. I can see how shocked never came into play and you lost so many guys so quickly ! Well, hopefully with this correction you'll get to play the full game...

I'll go check my book when I get home, I didn't notice that wording, clearly my previous bias from BoB :) ...

cheers
Francisco
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 05:30:13 PM by seldon »

Offline ChaosChild

• Librarian
« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2017, 11:24:48 PM »
For what it's worth, your explanation mirrored the way we thought it probably should work but fir our first games we were going with rules-as-written.

Also, the carnage wasn't helped by the fact that in our first game my opponent lost 2 models to an exploding sandwich. :?

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2017, 01:07:15 AM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... exploding sandwitch.... priceless !!!!

Ok.. please give it another try and tell me about it.. I swear, once you get the rules down the game is a ton of fun... Replayability is astonoshing and the game turns very tactical...

Exploding sandwitch.. epic !!  Never go to war hungry when visiting Gamma Zones

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2017, 04:17:48 AM »
Ok, after re-reading ChaosChilds comments I see that when we revised this passage we made the mental leap from checking the difference between the checks and then comparing it to the Wound Threshold of the model. The follow text should clarify it and I will add it to our errata asap. Tell me if its more clear now.

Here's the revision we'll make to the errata doc:

"If the Damage Check result exceeds the Resistance Check by the Defender’s Wound Threshold or more, then it has been Wounded and is removed from play."

That being said, BoB and Scrappers is modeled on realistic combat results, so yes, its probably more deadly than other games you've played. However, its only 'Wounded', not Killed. You then make your Trauma Checks in the post game and only have a 2% chance that the model was killed outright. Most often its an injury or other result that isn't killed. So its not as 'deadly' in actual fact. And that's the Fiction part of Science Fiction Skirmish Game.  ;)

And....exploding sandwich? I don't recall penning that particular hazard. Details! Give us details!  lol
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline ChaosChild

• Librarian
« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2017, 02:45:59 PM »
Yes, that seems perfectly clear. Like I said, that's pretty much how we assumed it should work, so it's great to have that confirmed.

Oh, and the exploding sandwich was an event. My opponent's veteran picked up a scrap counter and got an event. We rolled up Gear + Event, the gear turned out to be "Extra Rations for Crew". His response was "So basically, I've found some sandwiches". Then we rolled for the extra event and got Boom! The blast took out his veteran, plus his leader who was standing too close. Obviously one of the sandwiches was booby-trapped.

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2017, 03:20:11 PM »
Hahaha... best after action report I ever read ...

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
« Reply #111 on: June 09, 2017, 07:07:59 AM »
Ok, that's just awesome!  lol

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #112 on: June 09, 2017, 08:10:21 AM »
That explanation might have convinced me to check out this game in a single blow. I love when a game has random combinations like that turn into cool stories.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 08:12:09 AM by YPU »
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #113 on: June 09, 2017, 04:08:46 PM »
hahaha... in the standard scenario your crew has to go pic up items.. once per game one of those items will trigger an event... fun things happen then :)

Offline ChaosChild

• Librarian
« Reply #114 on: June 26, 2017, 10:57:42 PM »
OK, so finally got a chance to play again tonight. Same opponent as last time. Things ran a lot better now that the damage rules are correct, we actually made it through 3 whole turns before I failed a rout test.

We did have a couple of questions regarding panic tests and broken models.

1: When a model fails a panic check and becomes broken, does it lose its action token? It seems like it should but there's nothing in the rules to say so. If it keeps its action token can it take a steady action on the same turn it becomes broken?

2: How do broken models move? In the random movement rules on p84 it says the direction is determined by the rules for panic checks (i.e. away from the source of panic). But in the rules for broken models on p110 it says rhey move towards the nearest table edge. Which is correct?

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
« Reply #115 on: July 01, 2017, 04:30:25 AM »
OK, so finally got a chance to play again tonight. Same opponent as last time. Things ran a lot better now that the damage rules are correct, we actually made it through 3 whole turns before I failed a rout test.

Yay! Thanks for being open minded and giving it another go! I appreciate that so much. :)

We did have a couple of questions regarding panic tests and broken models.

1: When a model fails a panic check and becomes broken, does it lose its action token? It seems like it should but there's nothing in the rules to say so. If it keeps its action token can it take a steady action on the same turn it becomes broken?

No, an Active model that fails a Panic Check and becomes Broken does not lose its Action Token. And yes, when its controlling Player has Priority it may execute a Steady Action on that model within the same Turn it becomes Broken.

2: How do broken models move? In the random movement rules on p84 it says the direction is determined by the rules for panic checks (i.e. away from the source of panic). But in the rules for broken models on p110 it says rhey move towards the nearest table edge. Which is correct?

When a model fails a Panic Check it moves away from the source of the Panic, usually a model or models. After that initial movement, when in the SitRep of subsequent Turns in which it may still be Broken, it moves toward the nearest table edge.

Let us know how your next games play out with these clarifications in mind.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 04:33:42 AM by Faust23 »

Offline JamWarrior

• Librarian
« Reply #116 on: July 19, 2017, 05:34:23 PM »
What happens to unclaimed scrap markers at game end?  Lost to the mists?  Seems a bit like punishing you for winning too hard if the enemy runs away before you can grab anything.

Offline JamWarrior

• Librarian
« Reply #117 on: July 20, 2017, 07:40:33 AM »
I'm confused about weapon load outs.  The example in the book gives a single figure both a 2-handed gun and a 2-handed melee weapon so can you swap about at will?  And if so does that mean regardless of other gear, you can benefit from a shield from every attack against you, other than maybe a melee counter-attack when you used both hands on the original attack?

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #118 on: July 30, 2017, 10:18:27 PM »
End of game... unclaimed tokens stay there...nobody gets them !

Correct on weapons loadouts, turnscale is such that switching equipment is free, so you do get your shield for example as long as you are not in a situation like you described, getting counterattacked while attacking with two handed weapon or any other situation where you have indicated you might be using a two handed weapon, or smiliar. It is an abstraction on the turn scale system...

99.9999% sure on these

Don't forget about encumbrance, and don't forget that only free encumbrance can be used to get scrap tokens, so watch out for that if you overload your guys with equipment ! But if you can wing it... you can take your shield getting the cover and then in your turn pull that two handed shotgun that you take "for close encounters, ya' know" just like Corporal Hicks.

Bob can probably stop by in the week and confirm these answer but I am six sigmas sure as I said before !

Cheers
Francisco

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
« Reply #119 on: August 04, 2017, 05:21:46 AM »
Francisco is correct.