Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:35:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Scrappers: Post Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames by Osprey on sale NOW!  (Read 19480 times)

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
Re: Scrappers: Post Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames by Osprey on sale NOW!
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2017, 04:43:14 AM »
I agree with what Francisco said. You don't have to play with all of the rules for models if that's too much for your liking. You really only need to use one Trait which is for your Commander and the rest you can drop.
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline Zaheer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2017, 10:14:26 AM »
Oh go on then, I think my arm has been twisted sufficiently!

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2017, 06:44:14 PM »
One thing you could try is reducing all traits by one, choose only one trait for vets and 0 for regular troops. You will have to worry about 3-4 traits by warband and that is it.

When we do historical BoB sometimes our warbands are pretty standard and the game is still very enjoyable.. don't think you need to use all the traits.
We usually have one player create two fluffy warbands and fight the same game twice switching sides in 4-5 hs

just my two cents since you already have the rules, I think you will still like it using the rules like that.

Francisco

Thanks Francisco, it would do indeed. But yet, tell me, do not also weapons and equipment have their special rules?
Instagram profile: the_mediocre_wargamer

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2017, 06:46:49 AM »
They do. But you could really pare things down. Not hard to do.

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2017, 07:28:15 AM »
Thanks a lot, gentlemen, I'll give it a try after all. Cheers!

Offline Rusty72

• Assistant
« Reply #95 on: May 03, 2017, 08:55:09 PM »
Hi Bob, I bought both Bob versions and will snap this up. Look forward to the streamlined version.

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
« Reply #96 on: May 04, 2017, 05:07:34 AM »
I think you'll be pleased!

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2017, 09:26:06 PM »
Any game reports around on this?  Id like to see the flow of the game. 

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2017, 05:44:04 AM »
Any game reports around on this?  Id like to see the flow of the game. 

This'll get you started http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.com/2017/03/mutants-in-hot-zone-scrappers-aar.html

Offline PhilM

• Assistant
« Reply #100 on: June 05, 2017, 01:51:02 PM »
Really interested in the this game, seems a lot more my thing than Rogue Stars which I (and my local group) bounced right off. Just ordered the book, hopefully sneak in a few games before everyone is distracted to that other big game!

I'd planned to use RS as a game to play with my Ghosts of Gaia minis, but I think they'll fit here too. Which gives me an excuse to back the second one!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1512506318/ghosts-of-gaia-two-reinforcements-28mm-scifi-femal

Offline ChaosChild

• Librarian
« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2017, 02:40:11 AM »
Played our first games of Scrappers last night. I say games, we managed to play 3 but only because none of them went beyond turn one.

The game works quite well. The rules are a nightmare to get straight to start with as all the relevant bits are scattered around the book rather than being grouped together. We spent a lot of time with me frantically trying to find a rule I was sure I'd read but now couldn't find (no index, not enough detail on the contents page, on top of the layout problems). Once you get your head around it though, the core rules come together very well and it all flows very nicely.

The reason we never got past turn 1 though is that shooting seems incredibly deadly. Despite everybody hugging cover (and we had LOTS of cover) at least one of us was taking (and failing) rout checks at the start of turn 2. I can't comment on close combat, as nobody got anywhere near it.

I'd like to check that we're doing damage correctly, as the way we played it it seems like the wound threshold is completely irrelevant. If the Damage Check result (i.e. the attacker's roll plus modifiers) beats the wound threshold the target is wounded and removed. But given that the defender's resistance check is likely going to be at least equal to their wound threshold (CON+ARM+dice roll was at least a 6+, even with lightly armoured models), every single hit that beat the resistance was a wound. Are we doing this right? The way the rules are worded seems completely unambiguous, but it doesn't quote make sense.

Apologies if this seems overly negative. We really did enjoy the games, but as it stands the prospect of every game being a one-turn shootout doesn't have much long-term appeal.

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2017, 04:27:49 AM »
"If the Damage Check result (i.e. the attacker's roll plus modifiers) beats the wound threshold the target is wounded and removed. But given that the defender's resistance check is likely going to be at least equal to their wound threshold (CON+ARM+dice roll was at least a 6+, even with lightly armoured models), every single hit that beat the resistance was a wound. Are we doing this right?"

mmm... nope that is not correct :)

The attacker rolls a d10 + weapon damage + any bonus from the to hit roll

The defender rolls a d10 + CON + Armor

* If th attackers total is less than defenders total nothing happens.

*  If the attackers total matches or beats the defender's total but by less than the wound thrshold ( example, matches or wins by 1,2,3,4 if wnd threshold is 5 ) then the defender is shocked.

*  If he beats the defender roll by more than that thrshold, ie d10 +"weapon bonus + bonus from hit is 5 or more higher ( in that example ) than defender d10 + CON + Armor then defender is wounded.

Given the results from the opposed die roll curve ( pretty gaussian in nature ) this is not that easy and the shocked result is more common than wound result..

Let me give you an example...

I shoot with my assault rifle and I hit my target beating the defender roll by 2 ( 2 is now part of my damage bonus )..

Now roll to wound :

Then I roll a D10 and I get an 6 , I add my weapon damage of 4 ( assault rifle ) and my bonus of 2 from my hit.. my total is 12..

The defender, who has a wound threshold of 5, happens to have a CON of 4 and Amor 2 , so he adds a total of 6 to his roll ( CON + ARM ).

* if he rolls a 7 then his total is 7 +4 +2 = 13.. my 12 is less than his 13 .. nothing happens

* if he rolls a 5 then his total is 5 + 4 +2 = 11 .. so I beat him, 13 to 12.. I only beat him by 1 !  1 is less than wound threshold of 5 so the target is only shocked !!

* To wound the model given my 6 die roll the defender would need to roll a 1 on a D10 .. then he would have 1 + 4 + 2 = 7  and then my 12 would beat his 7 by 5 points, the wound threshold.. only then the target is wounded. ( if the wound threshold were 6 I would need to beat his result by 6 )

I have 4 games of scrappers done and never finished a game in one turn !

See if that makes sense and if you guys were doing it wrong.

Strange about the rules, to me they are well organized, traits , part 1 , mechanics part 2... indexes of course would always be welcomed :) but those are tough to come by in our hobby :)

Hope this helps, if not ask again and maybe we can figure out what you guys might be doing wrong..

Another thing to remember.. use ambush... it is a very useful action..

cheers
Francisco
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 04:49:18 AM by seldon »

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2017, 05:01:43 AM »
Francisco is correct. The way you were figuring the outcome of the Damage/Resistance Checks was the hang up.

The other main thing I see missing is that you don't mention anyone going into Ambush. The Ambush action removes ALL Line of Sight from enemy models, thereby making it impossible to target them until they become detected and are no longer in Ambush. So instead of just moving up to Concealment and/or Cover, use the Ambush Action while doing so and they can't target you. That will fix your main concern of getting shot to death in the first turn.

Now, if you waltz out there as some other games allow you to without realistic consequences, then you'll get shot in the face in this game.  lol

Thanks for your business and we hope to hear how your games turn out with these adjustments.

Offline ChaosChild

• Librarian
« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2017, 04:36:40 PM »
A couple of points:

We were using ambush, but it was largely irrelevant since models were getting shot before they had a chance to take their first action. Unless I've missed something (always possible) you can't start the game in ambush.

I'm happy, and indeed relieved, that we were playing the damage rules wrong. However I maintain that we were playing them by rules-as-written. Under "Determine Injury Results" it says "If the Damage Check result equals or exceeds the Resistance Check result then the Defender becomes Shocked." Then the next paragraph says "If the Damage Check result equals or exceeds the Defender's Wound Threshold..." For what you've said to be correct, the meaning of "damage check result" would have to change from one paragraph to thr next.

I'd suggest that you need an errata to read something like "If the difference between the Damage Check result and the Resistance check result equals or exceeds the Defender's Wound Threshold..."

Bear in mind that, unlike Francisco, we're not veterans of BoB so we only have the rules in the Scrappers rulebook to go by.