Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:27:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Relicblade: Review and Interview  (Read 2716 times)

Offline xpalpatinex

• Bookworm
Relicblade: Review and Interview
« on: February 10, 2016, 08:18:15 PM »
Howdy,

Did a quick review of Relicblade, a small sided 28mm adventure skirmish game on our blog. Can be found http://www.corehammer.com/relicblade-review-and-interview-of-an-engrossing-diy-wargame

Its a very well made indie wargame that is fast, fun and absolutely brutal.

Check it out if you have a minute. They're currently running a Kickstarter as well.

Offline throwsFireball

• Scientist
Re: Relicblade: Review and Interview
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 07:48:21 AM »
I don't know how to feel about this game.

On the one hand, I don't like non-generic systems where I can't just slot in models and feel that it's "right". But on the other hand, the lack of genericness has allowed him to make something that's got a really interesting and deep ruleset closer to a traditional wargame.

Also the models are great.

Offline DancesWithHippos

• Librarian
    • Blog!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 03:11:59 PM »

On the one hand, I don't like non-generic systems where I can't just slot in models and feel that it's "right". But on the other hand, the lack of genericness has allowed him to make something that's got a really interesting and deep ruleset closer to a traditional wargame.

I'm using Redbox and Otherworld miniatures and it feels fine to me.

Offline xpalpatinex

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 04:45:28 PM »

While I'm sure he'd love you to use his models...you don't have too. Can easily use different stuff as long as it represents the abilities in the game. I liked the models as well so had picked up a box pre-kickstarter to try out. 

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 06:21:41 PM »
@ throwsFireball

Your quote is not about the brand of minis to use for the game, right?
It's more about generic character-classes, like Barbarian, Wizard, Dwarf ... or isn't it?

I myself using right now Rackham minis to represent the characters, but I have the "official" minis as well, cause they are simply great  :D
But, because I liked to have more characters, I made up stats myself to get a Leader for the Pigs and a Witchhunter.
And I'm sure these two won't be the last ones  ;)

Offline DancesWithHippos

• Librarian
    • Blog!
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 07:55:13 PM »
From what I understand he plans to release new and unique heroes and monsters.

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 08:04:41 PM »
From what I understand he plans to release new and unique heroes and monsters.

Yes, he does :)

Offline throwsFireball

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 08:36:04 PM »
I'll probably get the rulebook and grab some Frostgrave gnolls when they come out to represent the "pigs". They seem to fit in a weird way with the way pig abilities have been described.

While I'm sure he'd love you to use his models...you don't have too. Can easily use different stuff as long as it represents the abilities in the game. I liked the models as well so had picked up a box pre-kickstarter to try out. 

Oh, I understand that. I honestly like the models too. :p

It's probably just a pet peeve of mine more than anything else.

Offline MetalKingStudio

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 05:30:47 AM »
I make Relicblade. I wanted to make a game that would be first-and-foremost fun. I'm trying to strike a good balance between being open to using generic figures and MKS figures. I have a responsibility to encourage people to support me and my art, but I also understand the crippling barrier of super-expensive shipping.

I'm honored that people are playing Relicblade all over the world. And the PDFs make that very possible. And I'm confident that they'll enjoy the art and game enough that they will be interested in supporting me by buying figures if they can.

I am able to order Frostgrave books from Amazon and get them the next day with free shipping. If I order Frostgrave minis the shipping cost is, shall we say, cost prohibitive. I don't have much money, and I wouldn't be able to play Frostgrave if I didn't have the option to play with my D&D collection. So I want that to be an open option for my friends overseas.

I suppose being a poor artist makes me completely understand when people can't afford to buy my minis!  :) But I hope they'll have fun with their friends for a few dollars on the PDF. That's my goal. To get people to play together.

Offline throwsFireball

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 08:14:24 AM »
<snip>

I mean, if the biggest problem you have is that your miniatures are so good I want to use them, then I don't think there's much of a problem here at all. :p

I just always have an itch about using non-correct models for stuff for my armies.

I'll probably end up using some Super Dungeon Explore models for it since they seem to kind of fit stylistically.

Have you considered using someone like Osprey or Books Etc to do the books within the UK? I'd love a physical company but the shipping is hella high.