Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:43:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: GumbaFish's Frostgrave Foray  (Read 1722 times)

Offline GumbaFish

• Student
GumbaFish's Frostgrave Foray
« on: February 10, 2016, 09:07:51 PM »
Hey all, this is my introduction to this particular forum (though I've been on other forums for ages).  I saw the great support of the Frostgrave community here so I thought I would sign up and start a painting and terrain log.  Here are a few of my first pieces.  I'm always open to comments and questions and appreciate constructive feedback and am always willing to work up tutorials etc... if people happen to be interested.

To get started here is a quick picture from my workbench of the first member of my warband.  I am using him as a treasure hunter.

Here is a quick picture which kind of explains how I made the stone sections of my bases.  I used some bark to create texture in Sculpey and then baked it.  Once baked I drew out some lines and used a sculpting tool to score out the lines.  I then went back and tidied it up and scored things again at an angle to create a bevel.  Then I can cut or break of sections as I need to use them for basing.

Finally, here are my first pieces of terrain in over 15 years!  They are made from blue foam, linoleum tiles, and chipboard.  I plan on sealing them so I haven't put down tall grass, static grass, tufts etc...Also, I don't plan on making mine snowy since I also play other games and want more of a generic vibe so I could use them for things other than Frostgrave if I desire.

Offline Bane

• Assistant
Re: GumbaFish's Frostgrave Foray
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 11:12:11 PM »
Very nice start, the Otherworld miniature works great for a treasure hunter and the paint job and base are beautifully done.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 11:37:24 PM »
Wow. Splendid paint job.

The little chest makes it an excellent Treasure Hunter mini.

More, please.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 02:31:18 AM »
Your scenery looks great! What was your thinking behind his ghastly skin tone?  It looks awesome, just curious.  :)

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 09:29:57 AM »
That looks very nice! Am looking forward to seeing more!

Offline GumbaFish

• Student
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 03:40:33 PM »
Thanks all.  Bane, I am quite fond of the Otherworld miniatures after painting this one but they are rather hard to find in the states.  Hopefully I can get my hands on more because I really love their sculpts and the casting quality was superb.  Hupp n at em truth be told it is actually because I am bad at painting skin!  I played Chaos/Beastmen in Warhammer, Space Marines in 40k, and now play Circle orboros in Hordes so I've actually had very little practice painting flesh.  Hopefully I can make them look a little more healthy, but for now I guess my excuse is that he looks that way because its so cold outside.  I'm working on my wizard and an archer now so hopefully they will be done soon.  I'll post some pictures of some of the other primed warband miniatures tomorrow.   

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 07:57:32 PM »
Thanks all.  Bane, I am quite fond of the Otherworld miniatures after painting this one but they are rather hard to find in the states.  Hopefully I can get my hands on more because I really love their sculpts and the casting quality was superb.  Hupp n at em truth be told it is actually because I am bad at painting skin!  I played Chaos/Beastmen in Warhammer, Space Marines in 40k, and now play Circle orboros in Hordes so I've actually had very little practice painting flesh.  Hopefully I can make them look a little more healthy, but for now I guess my excuse is that he looks that way because its so cold outside.  I'm working on my wizard and an archer now so hopefully they will be done soon.  I'll post some pictures of some of the other primed warband miniatures tomorrow.   

Well my choice of the word ghastly was because he looks somewhat blue/green like a spirit or ghost, not because I think the paintjob quality is bad. On the contrary, I think it's excellent! Just looks ghostly or frostbitten as you say.  :)  It is a rather cool effect actually.

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 08:22:18 PM »
Nice work!
I really like that pallid skin tone - maybe he ate something dodgy?

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 12:18:55 AM »
Nice work!
I really like that pallid skin tone - maybe he ate something dodgy?

lol lol 1000 year old magic mushrooms?  ;D ;)