Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:40:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690833
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A bit of a start on Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish  (Read 2256 times)

Offline jgodwin17

• Assistant
A bit of a start on Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish
« on: February 12, 2016, 04:27:22 AM »
I'm a big fan of the Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish rues, and despite not having a ton of free time and being a very slow painter, I've been able to get a bit done in the last year or so. This post will be pretty picture heavy and I will be updating it occasionally (though very slowly...to match my hobbying). Sorry about the bad pictures, my apartment doesn't have a lot of natural light, and I don't have a dedicated photo box. C+C much appreciated!

Guards/Soldiers - They are all old Chainmail miniatures. I'm not very happy with the face on the Sergeant, but for the most part I'm pretty happy with them.

My adventurers, all Otherworld minis.

Some Gargoyles and Mummies, all Otherworld, painted for me by a buddy in an exchange.

Some Otherworld Skeletons.

Evil Knight (Otherworld Paladin headswap) and some evil men-at-arms turned grave-robbers (GW).

Otherworld Zombies

Chainmail Skeletal Dwarves and a Skeletal Warhound.

Heresy Ghouls

"Slaughterpit Zombie Gnoll," an old Chainmail miniature that I absolutely love just for the bizarre factor. I will use it as a counts as Flesh Golem in OWFS.

Chainmail Death Cleric and a Reaper Anti-Paladin that unfortunately got hit with armory sealant, which robbed any depth of color (if you read this, avoid armory products like the plague).

Some Villains: Evil knight (Otherworld with a head swap), Vampire (Fractured Dimensions), and Necromancer (Heresy).

Some more Evil Knight - looks like he has some flocking on the back of his helmet...haha.

And some action shots on my 2x2 (unfortunately a game wasn't played):

Up next are an Otherworld Female Ranger (to join the Adventurers), a couple Dire Wolves, a couple more evil Men-at-arms, an evil Wizard from Otherworld, and a Manticore (The Evil knight's pet to reflect his heraldry). After that I think I'm going to attempt to tackle some OW Kobolds and their pet Basilisk.

Thanks for looking!

Offline Shaved Dwarf

• Scientist
Re: A bit of a start on Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 12:09:21 AM »
You have a nice collection of oldschool models. Congratulation!
With the decent painting you gave them, I'd say you're going to have a good start in the Otherworld.
BTW the freehand on that dark knight's shield is very well done.

Offline jgodwin17

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 09:13:32 AM »
Thanks Shaved Dwarf, much appreciated!

I'm definitely looking to add some more to the collection to get some old school skirmish and dungeon crawl games in. I'm by no means a great painter, but I got to a level I'm happy with, and my goal is currently improving my speed so I can get more models to the gaming table. I'm hoping to get a good chunk of painting time on Sunday.

Offline psullie

• Scientist
    • Paul's Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 11:30:55 AM »
very nicely done - very much like how you've given each group a common colour for quick recognition. What I like about Otherworld is that you only need a 2x2 tables and a handful of figures to have a fun game - I'm in the same boat with so little time to paint I'm lucky to get half a dozen in a month

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 01:03:07 PM »
Those Evil knights are swell!

Very good collection you've got going, and its a damned good painting standard and I bet they look the part on the table!

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 02:56:41 PM »
Gott a agree those evil knights look ace

Offline jgodwin17

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 06:03:00 AM »
Thank you for the kind words.

Psullie - I definitely agree that one of my favorite aspects of Otherworld is that you can play it on a 2x2, perfect for a dining or coffee table. The little board I put together is easily stored away unlike those for games requiring 4x4 or larger. With that thing and the Dwarven Forge stuff I have, it's pretty easy to even take enough stuff to a buddies or to the gaming store without having to make a billion trips to and from the car.

Thanks Brummie and Majorsmith for the kind words, the Evil knight and his men-at-arms were definitely some of my favorite to paint (and assemble for the men-at-arms). They will (relatively) soon be joined by a few more companions (namely a few more men-at-arms and a manticore). In my little fantasy setting they serve as the household guard of the vampire, the knight being his seneschal, and the men-at-arms robbing graves for the household necromancer. They occupy a little keep on the vampire's estate. Or that is what has been going on in the D&D campaign I've been running at least, I'm sure in the future they'll be reused in a vast array of roles.