Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:11:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (Commercial) 28mm 'State of Emergency' Range/Winter '79 chat  (Read 18619 times)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: (Commercial) 28mm 'State of Emergency' Range/Winter '79 chat
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 11:25:24 PM »
Then all you need to do is add this....
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 11:26:42 PM »
 I know I am a bit dim but how do I order the figures?

Offline Mike Bravo Minis

• Librarian
    • Mike Bravo Miniatures' Blog
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 02:04:39 AM »
Oh that's a great photo Carlos, consider that pose nicked.

www.mikebravominiatures.com should take you to the webstore.

Due to pick the first batch up from the casters on Tuesday. Dollies for the next sets of sculpts just need to be cast up then we're good for quite a few more Brit poses (command and section weapons next), both with and without flak vests, head swaps and so on. More PIRA (priority)  and armed civvies on the to do list too.

Also looking forward to getting some of the Sally 4th buildings.  .

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2016, 07:19:01 AM »
Cheers Mike.

I was having a giggle today reading about the Irish Cabinet's 'almost decision' to invade NI in Aug '69. Fortunately for the paddies, someone saw sense and realised it was a monumentally stupid idea that would have seen the Irish army destroyed and all political capital lost, including entry into the EU. That said, it was serious enough for the Irish CoGS to conduct the planning and with considerable and pointed wit, title it Operation Armageddon. The nuttier members of the cabinet were dead keen on it so it's a potentially amusing what if, unless you are playing the paddies of course. Only about half of the Irish regular forces were deemed in any way combat ready and the Free Clothes Association were in even worse shape.

The idea was for company sized battle groups to take key points in Derry, Newry and elsewhere along the border, whilst 'commando' groups attcked the offices of the BBC in Belfast, Stormont and lines of communication. Mind shatteringly daft of course. From a gaming perspective it's appealing cos the Irish still had 8 Comet tanks in 1969, albeit short of ammo as well as those hilariously Heath Robinson Ford armoured cars plus the odd Landsverk. No airforce, no navy and probably a realistic lifespan of about 48 hours give or take, once the army and RAF got stuck in.

Who wouldn't like to brew up light grey painted Comets with a Charlie G outside the walls of Derry?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 07:22:03 AM by carlos marighela »

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2016, 10:23:37 AM »
Ordered some squaddies.  :D

I'll wait for some more insurgent releases before picking them up.
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Mike Bravo Minis

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2016, 11:18:02 AM »
Cheers Ray.

Interesting snippet, Carlos. So it seems a handful of Comets were still trundling (albeit modified guns) in the mid 70s before becoming display pieces etc.  I wonder if a W79 faction might have infiltrated Curran Camp to liberate the one kept in running condition..?  Even without main ammo one of those appearing in a street brawl could be a game changer (until the Army arrives at least).

I can certainly imagine the Irish intervening on humanitarian grounds to set up safe zones in the event of a W79 decent into disorder. I've always like the Panhard 90 that they used at that time, and the Irish were in Lebanon which is where our IDF range will get to one day... oh God you've planted an idea... NURSE! MY TABLETS!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 11:22:38 AM by Mike Bravo Minis »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2016, 12:27:23 PM »
Comets had the original guns, unmodified. Trouble was the HE ammo for them was mostly unserviceable by the late 1960s which limited them to AP/ APDS and that was fast running out. They even converted one hull by mounting a 90mm RCL as a sort of mobile SP AT gun. They ran out of cash to do any more conversions.

It's hard not to gain the impression that the Irish Army of the late 1960s was a less than fearsome and all conquering force. Lack of funds meant they were poorly equipped and not especially well trained. Their record in the Congo was less than inspiring and their only other military experience until the late seventies, where they served as Aunt Sallies/ live figure eights for Israeli gunners in southern Lebanon, was getting a sun tan in Cyprus.

Still, the whole episode is so Ruritanian, it's kind of tempting, if limited to platoon sized skirmishes. Plenty of shots of British squaddies in summer 1969 in shirt sleeve order so I'm half tempted to field both sides using Eureka conversions or utilise my remaining Mongrel Congolese mercs as the Irish. Saladin v Comet sounds like a fair fight.

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
  • Z List Wargames Industry Celebrity
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2016, 12:30:00 PM »
Now then Carlos, could you provide a link for Operation Armageddon?

I'm the chap who has written the first supplement for LotFl - W'79 and hinted at the USA-backed United Ireland Initiative, where the Republic take over in NI and try to unite the nation, backed up by US 'Advisors'...

I'm supposed to be just editing the fourth supplement (yep, number three being written by a mate now) which would focus on the games being played by others but your desription has just hooked me into wanting to write the Irish bit myself - which just proves how absorbing this stuff is!
Remember: the dice are not your friends!

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2016, 12:34:23 PM »
Of course, if you put together suitable forces for the late '70's rather than the let '60's, you would be a great resource for photographs, or you could even write up your gaming as scenarios for the book?

I'm sure I could help to source figures, there are actually quite a few manufacturers aiming to support the concept now! :)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2016, 02:30:05 PM »
This should get you started:

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/operation-armageddon-would-have-been-doomsday-for-irish-aggressors-1.728983

I muust find the RTE documentary on it. Bound to be on youtube.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2016, 02:33:29 PM »
... no navy and probably a realistic lifespan of about 48 hours give or take, once the army and RAF got stuck in.

I can't believe you're so dismissive of the Flower Class Corvettes; Macha, Maeve, and Cliona. Why they'd take just 48 hours to get ready for sea!

... where the Republic take over in NI and try to unite the nation, backed up by US 'Advisors'...

Thanks for that brain nugget... I'm picturing plastic paddies being sought out as advisors, so they can blend-in with the Irish forces and McDonald's execs wrestling with the Catch 22 of prominent advertising on uniforms versus the need for camouflage.

;)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2016, 02:41:56 PM »
Not to mention a handful of Vampire trainers for the AirCorps.

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2016, 03:11:00 PM »
I'm very interested in the project, I have a number of new buildings plan to bring my British town from the 1940's up to the 1970's. Council flats, Multi Story Carpark, more shops etc. So if anyone would like a photo-shoot for photos to go in any new publications, do let me know and I'd be very happy to help out.

http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/Photorealistic-Wargames-Terrain
Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2016, 04:01:10 PM »
Carlos, many thanks, I now need to see that documentary and the report itself, Google here I come!

Offline Mike Bravo Minis

• Librarian
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2016, 09:19:14 PM »
Sitrep:  Pre-orders are being prepped for despatch and some limited stock is now available.

With pics of some potentially suitable diecasts:

Dinkly 1/60(?) Saracen and Bedford:

Corgi 1/50 Bedford S (needs repainting from its brewery livery but makes for a decent requisitioned/rebel lorry):

(The landrover is from Akula's Apocalyspe Isle range)