Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:06:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Base size for your miniatures?  (Read 5545 times)

Offline Jennifer

• Scientist
Base size for your miniatures?
« on: February 12, 2016, 01:41:33 AM »
I am finding the Reaper 25mm minis (many of them) simply do not fit on bases that are 25mm in diameter.  I find that about 50% or so (of the ones I got so far) need the set of 30mm bases I have.

What is the diameter of your bases?   Is it a bad idea that I have settled on 30mm bases?  e.g. they won't fit well in a Hirst Arts, DwarvenForge, OpenForge, Dragonlock grid.

Really need help with this thanks.

Offline Grenlar

• Student
Re: Base size for your miniatures?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 02:58:43 AM »
Well you can still use Openforge and Dragonlock tiles with your 30mm bases, just remember that you are going to have to scale every one of your prints up to account for the larger base.  Which reaper minis are not fitting?  Since you are talking dungeon tiles lets look at standard D&D sizes.

Tiny is 0.75 Inches or about 19mm
Medium is 1 Inch or about 25mm (This is your standard sized mini, humanoids)
Large is 2 Inches or about 50mm (Large minis such as Ogres)
Huge is 3 Inches or about 76mm (Giants)

The few Reaper minis I have that are humanoids do fit on a 25mm base.  I have a bunch of others that don't but they aren't supposed to.  Large minis should be spanning all 4 squares on a 2x2 dungeon tile.

Offline Jennifer

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 05:42:12 AM »
Do all the official frostgrave minis fit on 25mm bases?

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 06:30:01 AM »
It seldom happens that the usual 25mm minis do not fit on these bases. Even most of the human-sized Confro fit on these as well. Maybe some Confro-dwarfs are a bit bulky here.

The Forstgrave-Northstar-minis I have seen so far were a bit smaller than the human-Confro's, so there should be no problem.
I sometimes do "trick" a bit by using little kork-plates, in case the legs are a bit to wide spread, needing more millimeters.
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline Xintao

• Librarian
    • Xin's Lair
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 07:00:22 AM »
I use 2 types of bases depending on the size of the figure. I use 25mm Fender washers or 25 round slotta bases with Lead weights in the bottom cavity for stability. Some Reaper bases need to be trimmed or removed altogether.
Xin

My Blog: Xin's Lair

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 07:48:55 AM »
I've just found the odd one where I've had to trim off some of the integral bases before fitting them on a 25mm GW style base (which is slightly smaller than 25mm due to the shamfered edge) so that they're not touching or overhanging the edges of the base so that I can hide their edges when texturing.
The free Templar from the second Nickstarter for example has a rectangular integral base so I just trimmed off the corners and rounded it off.
My random encounters are mounted on a mixture of 40mm and 60mm bases depending on size and they all look fine alongside each other.
I say use what looks right and works for you on a model by model basis

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 10:11:59 AM »
I've put all but the largest figures on 25 mm bases and larger figures on 30mm bases apart from a giant who is as yet unbased. I don't think the slightly different base sizes will affect gameplay at all.

Offline GumbaFish

• Student
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 03:19:51 PM »
Incidentally, if you are using a 30mm round lipped base like those produced by Privateer press then I believe the actual basing area is ~23mm for both the GW 25mm bases and Privateer Press 30mm round lipped bases.  To answer your question I am using 25mm round GW bases for all of my troops, a 32mm round GW base for my wizard (primarily to clarify which model is my wizard and which is my apprentice), and a 50mm round GW base for my bear.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 05:07:10 PM »
I've went with lipped round bases from warlord, although part of me regrets not kicking it old-school and doing slotta bases especially as removing the slotta tabs from some of the minis is too much hassle.

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 05:29:14 PM »
Do all the official frostgrave minis fit on 25mm bases?

All of the human sized Frostgrave miniatures I possess have fit on a 25mm Renedra round base so far.  However, the War Dog does not fit on a 25mm base (at least without trimming the integral base).

Offline Jennifer

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 11:58:39 PM »
Maybe I am having bad luck with the 25mm bases because there is a ring around it.  I am only getting 23mm I think -- as mentioned above.    Which bases are flush to the edge?  The GW 25mm ones?

What 25mm base do you guys recommend I get?

Offline Xintao

• Librarian
    • Xin's Lair
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 12:45:31 AM »
Jen,

These are the bases with the ring

These are GW style bases. It has a chamfered edge. The very bottom(widest part) is 25mm. The actual flat surface is less.

Here are Reaper Bases. The sides of the raised part is flat. Giving you almost 25mm of flat space.

Some examples of what I use.
Here is a GW bases with Swordswoman, The Ax guy is on a Fender Washer, and the Reaper Bones Beetles are on Fender Washers as well. I use an acrylic medium to give texture to the base and cover up the integral Reaper base.

Pick a base you like. Pick one that is easy to get and cheap. Doesn't matter for Frostgrave, just be consistent with your warbands. Makes playing less fiddly and looks better for a warband to have all the same bases. It helps tie the "look" together even when they might be different manufacturers.

Hope this helps. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 12:47:59 AM by Xintao »

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 11:01:09 AM »
I was just going to say the same thing. Base size and shape is not important. You WILL find someone with different bases anyways... As long as you are constistent within your warband, it will look good.

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 11:59:41 PM »
I've used oval (28-35mm) bases when a stance was too wide for a 25mm round.

Ovals are really good for four legged creatures...

Offline Jennifer

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2016, 04:06:15 AM »
I've used oval (28-35mm) bases when a stance was too wide for a 25mm round.

Ovals are really good for four legged creatures...

Could ya give me the measurements of the width and length of your ovals?  That way I can quickly design it in sketchup and 3d print one to give it a try.