Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:29:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for experience with The Assault Group Imperial Japanese Army miniatures  (Read 2413 times)

Offline Ingmar

• Bookworm
I'm looking for a review/reviews and experiences that people have had with the TAG Japanese army miniatures. Detail of casting, severity of moldlines etc. I'm considering purchasing the infantry for a large bolt action army, but I've never had a TAG model in hand, can't find any decent sized pictures to make up my mind and am hearing mixed results about the casting quality of models for which there are reviews (Basically the range of WW2 Germans). I'd like to skip the part where I buy 50 metal models and spend the next eon scraping, instead of painting. Anyone that can help me make up my mind?

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
I have plenty of these and I think they are excellent. I bought mine a few years back. There is always a risk that the moulds have deteriorated, if not, there should be no issues with mouldlines

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
Email Pete (Brown) at TAG and I'm sure he'll send you a sample. Excellent company.

Offline Ingmar

• Bookworm
Thanks for the insight and the tip so far traveller and The Dozing Dragon. To be honest, it's been a bit of disappointing inquiry so far... I've made roughly the same post on 3 different fora (GWHobby, WWPD and LA) and have only your two reactions to show for it (though around 300+ individual views).

I've mailed Pete before registering to the TAG site; waited five days, no reply. I've since registered to the site, sent roughly the same question, five days wait, still no reply..
Weird really.. 

In comparison; I emailed Trenchworxx a question about the availability of their product and had a courteous, clear reply within the day..
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 12:48:32 PM by Ingmar »

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
I don't have any of the Japanese but have plenty of TAGs US figures and Vietnamese which have given me plenty of pleasure painting and playing with. I have only had a couple of figures with any noticeable flash. When I get around to buying some Japanese I will buy some of TAGs first.

Offline Wilkins

• Scientist
I bought some of the TAG chindits and really liked them; clean casts and very easy to paint. Not sure where it is you're based but TAG will be at Vapnartak (York) wargames show this weekend

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House

Offline Ingmar

• Bookworm
Thanks for your response Matakishi. Those are the first decent close-ups I've been shown so far!

I haven't heard from TAG at all, so I'm currently in the process of looking at other manufacturers. All of everyone's efforts have been greatly appreciated though!

BTW, I've since found the Paul Hick's sculpts of Tsuba Miniatures Russo-Japanese war and really hope they bring out  something a bit later!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 02:26:15 PM by Ingmar »

Offline Jacksarge

• Scientist
    • Jacksarge Painting
There are a new bunch of 28mm WW2 Japanese about to be released by Wartime Miniatures, they have already released Australians for the Pacific:

http://www.wartimeminiatures.com.au/