Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:43:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone Tried Playing Samurai Jack?  (Read 1634 times)

Offline KONNOC

• Librarian
Anyone Tried Playing Samurai Jack?
« on: September 14, 2016, 05:19:50 PM »
Been toying with the idea of putting together a game but not sure if I should go 28mm or 15mm.  Was thinking more of Jack and friends vs. Aku's Armies.... rather than a direct 1vs1 Aku/Jack match up.  Anyone try doing this before?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 05:39:16 PM by KONNOC »

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: Anyone Tried Playing Samurai Jack?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 07:29:08 PM »
For a character focused game like that I would go with 28mm definitely.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 10:46:13 PM »
Been toying with the idea of putting together a game but not sure if I should go 28mm or 15mm.  Was thinking more of Jack and friends vs. Aku's Armies.... rather than a direct 1vs1 Aku/Jack match up.  Anyone try doing this before?

I dimly remember playing both Samurai Jack and Powerpuff Girls games using the 2nd edition Supersystem rules, but that was years ago and I don't recall the stats for anything.  One of my friends did all the groundwork, I just rolled dice and pushed (action) figures around.  The rules worked pretty well, especially using henchmen groups for Aku's minions and the Growth/Always On power for various giant monsters & robots.

The universe really needs a Mojo Jojo/Aku teamup episode.  :)

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 07:44:13 AM »
Personally, I'd definitely lean 28mm over 15mm for this particular genre, if for no other reason than that I don't find Japanese historical or fantasy miniatures to be particularly well-represented in 15mm.  I especially like both the Perry and Fenryll unarmored Samurai as potential Samurai Jack models.

In terms of rules, I think that Samurai Jack lends itself better to roleplaying than to miniature gaming, personally, but if interested in playing it as miniatures then I think my first stop would be Pulp Alley.  I'd have the "Hero" player (be it Samurai Jack, the Scotsman, or some other hero invented for that world) played as a league with the Duo special rule, so only two very powerful models, against Aku's minions using the mastermind rule - so no leader on the table but lots of henchmen.  I think that this would replicate the asymetric match-ups pretty well, and allows for all sorts of the sci-fi nonsense that you see in Samurai Jack.  Supporting friendlies, like the explorer dogs from the pilot, could be plot points.

If playing a campaign, then in the final scenario you could change up the bad guys' league to no longer be a bunch of minions, but instead include some manifestation of Aku, maybe using the monster rules which are in one of the supplements.  I also have to say, for a Samurai Jack campaign, Perilous Isle is a must-have.  It starts you out in a city (could be considered Edo Japan, or whatever familiar past you like) and leads the heroes to a dangerous foreign land (in Samurai Jack's case, the future) where they encounter all kinds of monsters.  I think this could be ideal for tabeltop-gaming Samurai Jack, and definitely worth looking into...

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 05:47:35 AM »
Reaper has a pretty good samurai mini for Jack, only potential conversion would be adding a hat if you want one.

https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/samurai/sku-down/03524

Offline KONNOC

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 03:08:15 PM »
Thank you for your insights!  I'll take your advice and go 28mm.  I've had my eye on the Pulp Alley rule sets for some time, so this just pushed me over the edge on needing to pick them up.  I didn't know about the Fenryll unarmored Samurai so thank you for that.  Both the Perry and Reaper options are great choices (now if I could just find an overweight a machine gun leg scotsman in 28mm I'd be set  ;))

Offline necromorph

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 03:51:24 PM »
Thank you for your insights!  I'll take your advice and go 28mm.  I've had my eye on the Pulp Alley rule sets for some time, so this just pushed me over the edge on needing to pick them up.  I didn't know about the Fenryll unarmored Samurai so thank you for that.  Both the Perry and Reaper options are great choices (now if I could just find an overweight a machine gun leg scotsman in 28mm I'd be set  ;))

Try Dinoproof for a ruleset. It's kind of got a wargame/rpg feel which I'm using for various single character driven games.