Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:52:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [Kickstarter] Polyversal 6mm rules and starter set.  (Read 2378 times)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
[Kickstarter] Polyversal 6mm rules and starter set.
« on: February 09, 2016, 08:42:30 AM »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cewargames/polyversal-6mm-miniatures-game-system

TBH, I havn't even had the time yet to see the rule previeuw videos in full, but this look interesting. Nice to see another well produced 6mm game being done. I'm particularly intrigued by the fact that the starterbox includes miniatures from a number of manufacturers.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Re: [Kickstarter] Polyversal 6mm rules and starter set.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 08:50:36 AM »
I'm particularly intrigued by the fact that the starterbox includes miniatures from a number of manufacturers.

That's what put me off so far. Either you produce a range of miniatures or you let people free to choose their own, in my opinion.
Of course, since you can buy the PDF alone, that's not a big limit and you can actually buy what you please, but still the concept doesn't look great to me.
I didn't read the rules introduction though, it might be really good!

Cheers
Jack

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 09:02:18 AM »
Actually they say they are trying to make the rules as all inclusive as they can, allowing you to stat whatever miniature you have. (digital tool for statting included) I think the point of the multiple sources of miniatures is exactly to make that point, these rules are fully meant for the mixing of producers. That's why the name is "polyversal" To be clear, there is absolutely no "you must use these miniatures" But selling your game with a starter kit including miniatures tends to de a lot better then rules only. So by including miniatures from a number of sources, one of which isn't actually 6mm (dropzone) your making a statement, that there are no "official or correct" miniatures for this game. everything is allowed.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 09:19:03 AM »
Going by the kicktraq predictions this is slowing down rather badly.  :?

Pity, while I'm not convinced on the rules they do look interesting and nicely thought out. Also the kickstarter allows you to include some huge 6mm skyscrapers at decent prices.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 09:23:40 AM by YPU »

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 09:47:48 AM »
Going by the kicktraq predictions this is slowing down rather badly.  :?

Pity, while I'm not convinced on the rules they do look interesting and nicely thought out. Also the kickstarter allows you to include some huge 6mm skyscrapers at decent prices.

In my feelings, the whole campaign is far too inhomogeneous for the size of it. They should have taken new photos of all the models with the same background, choosing a style for the text and graphic that looked more professional...

A few cool professional illustrations aren't enough, imho.

That's too bad. :( :(

Jack

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 10:24:33 AM »
Agreed, using the retailers pictures of the models give it a very fractured and patchwork feeling. The rest of the design also has a close but no cigar feel to it like you said.

Rules wise, you roll three dice per weapon per model, with some models having 5 or so weapons. And some of  those weapons like missiles can make multiple attacks. You also need to add up the total of those dice. That's a lot of rolling and counting if your indeed fielding "not squads but entire armies" like they say. I do like the idea with the weapons doing either lowest die, middle die or highest die from the attack roll as damage, that's smart design.

Completely minor but it keeps bugging me. The art for the dragonfly really doesn't match the model. Take a close look at the model it has twin wings, with the larger being forward swept. The art makes it look like rounded fuel pods or something like that. I know this doesn't really matter at all, the final game should include an online tool for card creation, which I assume allows you to use a actual picture of your own miniature.

Offline throwsFireball

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 12:55:17 PM »
The thing that bugs me the most is the fact that you could buy these models now but if you kickstart you get to wait a few months instead.

Just why.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 06:07:42 PM »
The thing that bugs me the most is the fact that you could buy these models now but if you kickstart you get to wait a few months instead.

Just why.

good point as well.

Offline Papabees

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 01:06:47 AM »

Just why.
Cheaper overall price. Free additional models for the same price. Time to produce the counters and hardback rulebook.

I for one think the mechanics look really cool, especially the orders component. Finally a 6mm game that isn't fantasy battles in spaaaaaaaaaace.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 08:13:26 AM »

I definitely can see it from a production standpoint. We have all seen enough kickstarters where rules and miniatures are involved and often one or the other is left behind in production. Here at least you know the miniatures are real, there should be no trouble in producing them so all focus can be on the rulebook tokens and software. Which is enough of a challenge in itself I'm sure.

Why you should buy this with miniatures rather then just the rules and buy the minis yourself, is a good question.

Offline Torben

• Scientist
  • Scatterbrained Wargamer!
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 09:40:17 AM »
I can kinda see where they're going with this; there is a need from some people to have it all in a one-stop-shop format, which I'm guessing they were hoping to go for with this release. I'm looking into something similar for my next game - but I doubt I'll go for a Kickstarter like this.

But as has already been mentioned, it just looks a bit too lukewarm to my tastes really. While I applaud their effort, there just isn't enough incentive to get in on the gaming part. That and I'm also against having to use different kinds of polyversaldice in my games; I much prefer to use a single die-type. I do like their combat resolution mechanic, it's pretty much the same as Silent Death but that doesn't make it any less good :)

Offline Papabees

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 01:26:00 PM »

Just added more mini options.