Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:07:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686482
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 55 days in peking - my project  (Read 31997 times)

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
Re: 55 days in peking - my project
« Reply #150 on: November 27, 2022, 03:47:56 PM »
Great looking game!

The game must have been interesting with so many walls - did you have any real adaptations for this?

Sorry, I didn't get what you mean. If you ask if the walls were replicas of the real Legations walls, no, they were not.

Online fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #151 on: November 27, 2022, 03:57:35 PM »
No, that’s not what I meant.

It was more from a game play perspective, walls in wargames give cover for defenders, and attackers would have movement broken up by the walls. But most of these rules work on the general assumption that there aren’t that many walls that close together. So my question was did you have to adapt the rules at all to work with lots of walls, or did they work fine as is?

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #152 on: November 28, 2022, 11:13:41 AM »
No, that’s not what I meant.

It was more from a game play perspective, walls in wargames give cover for defenders, and attackers would have movement broken up by the walls. But most of these rules work on the general assumption that there aren’t that many walls that close together. So my question was did you have to adapt the rules at all to work with lots of walls, or did they work fine as is?
Wargaming 55 days gives an extremely long and complicated game. As far as I know, some "55 Days" games lasted even three whole days! Most games never finished. (This one I know from personal experience). Therefore, I used my own 55 days rules, that were designed to be very simple, very fast and very easy to learn. Even with these house-rules the game lasted 5 hours (!), and we didn't play the final Turn (... it was almost clear that the "defenders" won, and the Boxers lost the game, but we were too exhausted to find it out).
Now, according to the rules we used, all the defenders of Walls or Barricades, had an advantage against their attackers in melee. So my answer to your question is "yes", and "no", because we didn't adapt a particular ruleset, but we invented a ruleset for the 55 days at Peking.

Online fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #153 on: November 28, 2022, 12:03:53 PM »
Thanks for the update - sounds like some epic games - which suit the epic scale of the project!

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #154 on: November 28, 2022, 12:14:36 PM »
I’d seriously love to play on a set up like this……fantastic!

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #155 on: November 28, 2022, 08:07:23 PM »
Loving this thread and that it is 1/72 is a bonus. very creative and exotic thank you.

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #156 on: November 29, 2022, 02:46:49 PM »
Loving this thread and that it is 1/72 is a bonus. very creative and exotic thank you.

I’d seriously love to play on a set up like this……fantastic!

Thanks for the update - sounds like some epic games - which suit the epic scale of the project!

Thank you very much for your generous comments!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 02:48:24 PM by miltiades »

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #157 on: December 16, 2022, 01:54:45 PM »
Miltiades, this is an absolutely incredible project my friend!!! Your attention to detail is amazing. This is a EPIC table. I’ve been looking at and enjoying this thread for years and am very happy that you continue to post. Though anyone who knows you is aware that all your projects have the same awesome attention to details, like your Sudan project.

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #158 on: December 16, 2022, 07:49:40 PM »
Miltiades, this is an absolutely incredible project my friend!!! Your attention to detail is amazing. This is a EPIC table. I’ve been looking at and enjoying this thread for years and am very happy that you continue to post. Though anyone who knows you is aware that all your projects have the same awesome attention to details, like your Sudan project.

Thank you so much my friend for your kind words!

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #159 on: December 17, 2022, 01:05:06 AM »
WoW!Amazing looking game.
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #160 on: December 31, 2022, 05:29:12 AM »
The link to the free rules seems to be gone now but I'd love to know more about the rules you used, especially elements that helped improve the speed of the game.

Are you familiar with the "55 Minutes at Peking" rules - they were published in some old magazines, Wargames Illustrated had an earlier and expanded version in a later issue.  That is what originally sparked me to collect figures for the period - long before Bluemoon released their amazing offerings.  Was able to find some things, especially the old Cell Mate Miniatures range (often wondered about that name!). 

And a question about that river boat in those photos linked - what is the inspiration for the playing cards motif decorations?  Something historical or just the personal whim of the modeler?  Or maybe used for other games, like an Old West (American) gambling boat?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 05:53:26 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #161 on: December 31, 2022, 09:34:02 PM »
The siege was called by the New York Sun "the most exciting episode ever known to civilization."

Would also like more info on rules and scenario ideas would love try something similar maybe only one or two embassies at a time. Keen to also know what minis you used for the German contingent.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 09:35:51 PM by Golgotha »

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #162 on: January 03, 2023, 10:06:07 AM »
WoW!Amazing looking game.

Thank you very much for your kind words.

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #163 on: January 03, 2023, 10:44:26 AM »
The link to the free rules seems to be gone now but I'd love to know more about the rules you used, especially elements that helped improve the speed of the game.

Are you familiar with the "55 Minutes at Peking" rules - they were published in some old magazines, Wargames Illustrated had an earlier and expanded version in a later issue.  That is what originally sparked me to collect figures for the period - long before Bluemoon released their amazing offerings.  Was able to find some things, especially the old Cell Mate Miniatures range (often wondered about that name!). 

And a question about that river boat in those photos linked - what is the inspiration for the playing cards motif decorations?  Something historical or just the personal whim of the modeler?  Or maybe used for other games, like an Old West (American) gambling boat?
The siege was called by the New York Sun "the most exciting episode ever known to civilization."

Would also like more info on rules and scenario ideas would love try something similar maybe only one or two embassies at a time. Keen to also know what minis you used for the German contingent.

Well guys, I think we all have to take a look at the new rule set of  Mike Blakes' and Chris Swan's : "Righteous Harmonious Fists".  https://www.caliverbooks.com/bookview.php?ir22qrgni98td3uimbgs08ekg1&id=29726
I  just ordered it and hope it will arrive one of these weeks. (... there is also a picture from my game on the cover  ;) ).  I am sure that there will be many useful ideas on the subject. I also have to order: https://www.caliverbooks.com/bookview.php?ir22qrgni98td3uimbgs08ekg1&id=29109, because I need a complete set of rules on the period. 

Dear Fifteens Away: 1. Yes, I am familiar with the "55 Minutes at Peking" rules. I think we used them the first time we tried the game. The problem with this set (and many others ) is that although they look simple and easy-to learn, they are complicated when you play them with many players. When I started this project I wanted to "design" a game that would be finished in an afternoon; It should take no more than 5-6 hours. (...6 hours is  a very long time for old boys like us, don't you agree?). Therefore my rules were designed to work fast and keep a growing excitement to the players. I think I made it because the game lasted a little more than 6 hours but my friends were very excited.

2. The steamboat was scratchbuilt by my friend Haris and there is nothing Historical about it. It was an Old West (American) gambling boat, reminding the Stories of Lucky Luck  lol
But we had a lot of fun with it on the table ...

3. Yes, there are many Oshiro's items ( https://www.oshiromodelterrain.co.uk/gallery.html )  in the game and I love them!

Dear Golgotha,  I will try post here the rules we used in our game. I will be happy if you get any ideas from them or use them as they are in any of your games. I used 1:72 Red Box http://plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1543 "German East Asia Brigade". (Aren't they lovely?  :-* )

P.S. on the rules: You will also need a "map" of the site with distinctive areas . All the areas must be clear.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 11:26:55 AM by miltiades »

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #164 on: January 03, 2023, 11:12:48 AM »
What a beautiful table and what envy, to be able to play that way. Being able to display that scenery and play such an emblematic scenario must have been wonderful.

Congratulations on having been able to carry out the project and have been able to enjoy it

thank you very much sir for your kind words!