Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:16:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: painting paralysis  (Read 2865 times)

Offline pistolpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Rent money is for rent - telly savalas
painting paralysis
« on: February 16, 2016, 03:15:32 PM »
so after about 5 repaints, i finally have what i consider to be a really good skin tone laid down, one of my best in fact it just might be my best ever.  but now i have to paint the rest of the figure and don't want to ruin what i've already accomplished.  this would not normally be problem but i really don't want to do ANOTHER repaint for a slip or stay mark - do you ever get similiarly nervous/paralyzed painting?  how do you overcome it?  something other than the obvious "just over yourself and do it already"

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
Re: painting paralysis
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 03:28:15 PM »
I plan the painting so that I maintain crisp edges etc. and reduce the risk of spoiling intricate work.
For example if I were to do a repeating 2 colour design I might not necessarily do all one colour followed by another. This 1:144th Albatros was painted in bavarian chequer 1 row at a time since the fuselage also tapered.

With figures, hand painted badges etc are laid on after adding ink lowlights so as not to spoil the designs. The same goes for faces and hands which are some of the last things I do. Does that answer your question? 
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 03:34:45 PM »
That's probably why I hardly paint anything these days. Don't want to ruin the figures with (my perceived) crappy paint jobs.
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 03:38:07 PM »
Could you varnish the skin thereby making it easier to remove accidental splurges of other colour? If you have a wet paintbrush and some type of wipe handy when you are painting then you can quickly remove accidents.

Try it on a less important figure first as well.  eg practice removing over paint?

I managed to upend a pot of Mid grey over three completed figures - running them under the tap got it off!

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 03:41:19 PM »
that's none too shabby a tip jon_1066. I may try that one myself. I tend to have more problems being a klutz and handling stuff badly and wearing off my intricate paint jobs (especially hands)!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 07:29:34 PM »
For me, the faces are the most important part, so I do them first (because if I have to strip and restart, it'll almost always be due to a facial screw up).

The dirty secret is that you can get away with mistakes elsewhere because it's the face and upper chest that attracts the most attention, so I always err on the side of caution around the face and upper chest. The rest you can screw up and it matters a lot less.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline pistolpete

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 08:32:10 PM »
@fram - that's what i did, face/skin first.  now i (finally) have an awesome face/chest/arm paint job but i'm almost too nervous to paint the rest for fear of messing that up.  i'm planning to go really slow, really small, start from the furthest away, and avoid coffee beforehand.

@jon_1066 - i will have to test that.

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 10:39:50 PM »
I second the varnish idea. Just put on some gloss varnish and finish the miniature, then matte over it. That should protect your paintjob and can be wiped easily.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 03:08:22 AM »
Yep, just get painting.  ;)
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 03:30:31 AM »
@fram - that's what i did, face/skin first.  now i (finally) have an awesome face/chest/arm paint job but i'm almost too nervous to paint the rest for fear of messing that up.  i'm planning to go really slow, really small, start from the furthest away, and avoid coffee beforehand.

@jon_1066 - i will have to test that.

I start close to what you painted and work your way out. That way you only worry about messing up existing paint on one side of where you are working.

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 04:07:34 AM »
Planning and Preparation Prevent Pretty Poor Performance was always literally drilled into me.

I seem to be in a minority of one on this but I always paint faces last, it's the defining part of a figure for me and I use a lot of drybrushing (Old school I know ) on clothing. Doing the face last allows me to slop the paint about a bit prior to the main show.

Enjoy your painting is the main thing.

Regards Ken The Yarkshire Gamer
"Glittering prizes and endless compromises,  shatter the illusion of integrity"
http://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.co.uk

Offline pistolpete

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 02:22:24 PM »
@yarkshireGamer - i usually paint faces last too but after i messed it up, i figured i'd paint the face first since it would be easier to strip it if i messed it up again (and again and again).

everyone - great ideas and i'll be trying them on future efforts.  after a couple of days ignoring it, i stopped being a baby and just forged ahead painting the other parts slowly and carefully.  will post pictures soon, as i only have the hair and a final wash to go.

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 04:32:56 PM »
I'm a face first guy as well. Varnishing is a good idea, always work inside out. I mean under garments first to outer wear.
If you have achieved the perfect skin, that's half the battle, the figure lives, just push on and do the rest. Good luck.
Ive seen things you people wouldn't believe - Roy Batty.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 05:48:54 PM »
You know the best way to ruin a miniature?  Don't finish it.  Paint that thing.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 08:38:05 AM »
Amen to that Elbows. I'm going cold turkey resisting the urge to get more plastic/lead for my burgeoning mountain until I've painted some!