Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:56:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Last Call for Sgt. Ibrahim - 40k bat rep with special 2nd. mod rules  (Read 4120 times)

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
I thought I'd take the liberty to post an old battlerep that I think is something special. At least to me, who has an amazing amount of 40k figures, that are gathering dust it is... enjoy!

See the end of the text for information about this hybrid between IABSM and 2nd 40k.

++++
write up by Torben Kastbjerg - Phoenikuz

Last Call for Sergeant Ibrahim
Or - Silence The Big Guns

During the pacification of the Jyllanix system, the war on Asgaard IV had raged for some months now. The White Star space marine chapter had launched a daring assault upon their arrival and already many of the beleagured Asgaardians had rallied to aid this assault. But scattered along the front line were isolated pockets of Ork artillery, pounding the great advance of the combined Imperial forces. A single squad of White Star Terminators were dispatched by teleporter to take out one such position. The Squad was led by Sergeant Ibrahim in what was to be his final victory, and this is their story...

Seen here is a simulated overview of the ork encampment, with the two guns pointed towards the front lines. Apparently Lord Baddawg was on duty this day as the Terminators started to deploy.

The Space Marine Survey-Servitor had established an approximation of the ork forces currently guarding this installation. The white areas represents higher levels of ork activity, and would thus either be Squigs or Orks - or both! The Inquisitional areas marked in white were the amounts of imperial activity as seen by the orks; apparently they lacked the highly advanced technology of the imperium, yet proved highly succesful in sniffing out the lumbering Terminators as they teleported in and started their advance towards their objectives.

Seen here is the brave Sgt. Ibrahims initial deployment alongside brother Coiteus. Their plan was according to Imperial doctrines and they established a good fire base in order to suppress the expected higher level of ork activity on the right flank, whilst Brothers Ferrox, Logan and Meiard would flank from the left in a sanctioned pincer move. However, the initial success relied heavily on the Orks not discovering the squad until at the very last moment.

The rest of the squad deployed in and around an outcropping of rocks but scared the local squigs, raising a furious ruccus and alerted the Ork compound of their arrival. Yet the superior Imperial Technology had only managed to secure a fix on a single Ork so far; Lord Baddawg himself:

Having lost the element of surprise, Brother Ferrox was quick to open up fire with his faithful Assault Cannon and braved the anger of the Machine Spirit as he scythed through three Orks in rapid succession. The strike had begun!

As Ferrox counted the possible targets for his secondary burst, he was slightly unnerved by the sudden appearance of a mob of Orks on his right as they jumped into the forest line and proceeded to yell a chilling warcry, guns blazing...

[Intercepted Vox Caster Signal]
"*crackle*... WAAAAGH! Take dat, grotty oomans!" *static and crackle; slight sizzling noise followed by a rasp laught from unknown origin*
"Wot the... FRAK! Gobsmut, 'u stoopid moron! Yuze used da wrong rokkit! Dey are not plants you son of a squig!" *sounds of squabble*
"Lemme show ya how it's done proper like!" *lound retort and crack, possible jam* "FRAK! Dere's dirt in me gun! Ooo dis ambuzh iz going nowhere fazt!"*crackle*
[End of Transmission]

As can be surmised from this intercepted transmission, it would appear that the Ork unit, known as Skwad Too launched a decidedly ineffective ambush against the Terminators; a foreshadowing of the ill fate bestowed on this squad as just moments later a stray artillery shell from the raging battle exploded in their vicinity and killed almost all of them. However, Brother Logan was set on fire - but autoextinguishers promptly put it out following its initial contact.

Meanwhile, on the right flank, Sgt. Ibrahim had finally established contact with Ork Skwad Tree as they attempted to advance into the nearby shrubbery and take up position there to pound on the section position there. They were surprised but started a vicious hail of fire which would become the end of both terminators.

The rokkit launcher ork proved his worth by remembering that Plasma Missile was for 'Eavy 'Oomans and Frag Missiles were for Soft Pinkies and fired away on Brother Coiteus who miraciously survived by sheer force of will. This did not phase the hapless orks as they poured volley after volley on the suppresed section and then...

A lucky stray hit, either from the fragmentation of the missile launched or one of the boltpistol hits managed to hit the firing mechanism on the Cyclone Missile Launcher and...

... It promptly fired all 12 krak missiles directly ahead, unguided and highly volatile. They all exploded near 'Eavy Gun Wun and made the Orks halt their advance and admire the grand fireworks.

Seizing the near miss of the Cyclone launcher as an oppurtune moment, Lord Baddawg calls for a WAAAAAAAAAAGH on Brother Logan as his Stormbolter had jammed. However, his boyz had apparently struck a deal with Kapten Gorog and the Bigboss foudn himself charing a terminator all by himself. The fight was short and brutal; Brother Logan's Chainfist cut Baddawg in two from groin to scalp and splattered his white armour with green blood.

Realising that the Assault Cannon was of grave danger to them, and still active, made the remains of Skwad II seek as much shelter from the dreaded weapon behind a large rock, screaming and yelling for Kapten Gorog to show himself and help them clear out this mess!

[Intercepted Vox Caster Transmission]
*static*"By the EMPEROR! Ferrox, behind you! It's an ORK ON A HORSE!"
*crackle*"Surely you jest Brother Logan, Orks ride.. FOR THE LOVE OF THE EMPERO..!"*static*
[transmission Ends]

Kapten Gorog, and his faithful horse Boar charged the Terminator in an effort to rally the suppressed mob near the rock, and they followed suit soon after, halting the advance of Brother Logan and Brother Meiard as they came dangerously close to destroy Da Uvver Gun. In a flurry of powerclaws, powerfists and hoofs only one combatant remained standing - unfortunately for the brave Orks it was Brother Ferrox who stood to tell the tale of being charged by an Ork Nob. On a horse.

As the brave and sneaky Kapten Gorog sounded the charge, Skawd Tree had blasted all they had on Sgt. Ibrahim. But it was the lone rokkit boy who, in a stroke of genius, produced a missiled labelled "This side towards enemy" and promptly fired it. Sgt. Ibrahim realised only too late that it was indeed a Super Krak Missile and his faithful terminator suit shorted as the round pierced through his upper torso, leaving nothing but an empty shell were he had stood.

The failed charge of Kapten Gorog however made the orks realise that this fight was not theirs today, so following their victory over Sgt. Ibrahim they ran towards the front lines to engage the more softer enemies there. It was a victory for the Imperial forces, but came at a high cost.

About 2nd. ed. Random Encounters WH40k:

We use the standard 2nd ed rules for troop profiles and weapons stats. To hit/shooting is the same. Close combat is the same.
What is changed? The turn sequence. Every unit gets a card that is added to a deck. The draw of the deck secures complete randomness in activation.. meaning a lot of planning safe!
Besides the unit cards there are some "race specific adjustment cards" - the orks in this battle had the following:

Stoopid git: one ork runs forward thinking that NOW is a good time to waaagh.. unfortunately noone else agrees.
Gunz blazing: An ork skwad gets to shoot an extra time
Waaagh: Some orks get a bonus move

Marines had:
Optimize Fire: Bonus shooting of one trooper
Optimize Position: Free extra move for one trooper

A special card is also in the deck: Smoking/coffee/tea Break - call it what you want. When this is drawn the turn ends.. if some unit haven't activated - that's a real shame... they get to shoot though if they're near enough of the enemy.

Most of this is of course lifted directly from I Ain't Been Shot, Mum! but that doesn't make it less fun to play with.

Close combat, and other things that have to happen each turn (spell effects perhaps) are handled at coffee break. Otherwise you'd end up with fights that stop and go!

Of course this turn/activation system could be transferred to any system and not just 2nd ed. I just prefer 2nd because of the rich detail that lends itself well to skirmishes. The new 40k rules are complete bollock in terms of detail and difference between forces. All the random stuff in 2nd is much more to my liking.

I really think this makes for an enjoyable experience with 40k miniatures.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 10:00:17 AM by Thorbjørn Nielsen »
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
Re: Last Call for Sgt. Ibrahim - 40k bat rep with special 2nd. mod rules
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 01:51:02 PM »
Thank you for posting this, I loved reading this report. It brings back lot's of old memories.

I now suddenly remember why 2nd edition was so much fun. Maybe it's time again to play 40k however, with a GM who makes up the scenarios. Way more fun that way!
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 03:58:53 PM »
One day (yeah that day,...) I'll write a PDF with full instructions on how to take on this AWESOME approach!  :D

I believe there are many like me with tonnes of 40k stuff, that they feel has little or no value due to GW's way around rules.

Of course one could use any and all skirmish systems. I just think this works out very well.

Offline Unforgiven

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 05:26:13 PM »
Thanks for posting, the visual effects really compliments this :)

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 08:56:50 PM »
Maybe it's time again to play 40k however, with a GM who makes up the scenarios. Way more fun that way!

I've actually yet to see a game that wasn't funnier when played with scenarios and GM.

Thanks for posting, the visual effects really compliments this :)

Hehe thanks. I had fun doing the images as far as I remember.

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 01:41:34 AM »
I believe there are many like me with tonnes of 40k stuff, that they feel has little or no value due to GW's way around rules.

Hear hear!

I certainly fall into that group.  I currently have a large and eclectic Lost and the Damned army of about 2000 points.  It's filled with conversions, including traitors made from dwarf and catachan parts, converted Chaos marines, IG tanks, plague zombies, homemade spawn - the list goes on.  Our group should really make the effort to seek out some worthwhile sci-fi skirmish rules that have generic races represented in lists.

Anyway, enjoyed your report, and it does indeed cause a certain pang.  40k is like the girl you confidently broke up with, forgot about, and then saw in public, only to set your heart fluttering again  :o  "It really never worked that well... but maybe if we got back together, and I bought some more models, it would be like the old days..."  ;)

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 08:01:01 AM »
Haha that's a fitting description.

I think the rulesmaterial for the game has been in a downward spiral quality wise on background, diversity and gameplay.

I'm sure you could have tonnes of fun with your LATD figures in another system. Unfortunately 2nd edition is not available on their games archive. I think it is great though... I like the fact that there are power axes, power swords, power mauls and so on - not just 1 category called "power weapon".

And I like the fact that terminators are really tough - 3+ save on 2d6! Ok there's armour save modifiers, but still.

The scenario here was played with 5 terminators and some 30 orks - it took 3 hours. So 2nd is not a "mass battle system" at all! And the card system we've introduced to it makes it more fun but also makes it run a bit slower.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
And I like the fact that terminators are really tough - 3+ save on 2d6! Ok there's armour save modifiers, but still.

The scenario here was played with 5 terminators and some 30 orks - it took 3 hours. So 2nd is not a "mass battle system" at all! And the card system we've introduced to it makes it more fun but also makes it run a bit slower.

Pardon for this massive Threadomancy, but as my nick is taken from a powerful necromancer/liche from a LARP campaign I ran many years ago, I think it is rather appropriate (that - and that this thread stirred something in me  ::))

2nd Ed. really had a lot more skirmish/rpg feel to it, and wasn't really a battle game. I think the close combat system was a bit cumbersome, though (IIRC, that was the same system as Necromunda 1st Ed.?)

I also have quite a lot of 40k stuff - most of it never reached the painting table because of lack of enthusiasm after all, but I have been pondering about the possiblity of doing some small scale adventure games set in the universe - maybe using some of the old rules, or even a set of the rpg rules (maybe even as multiplayer participation games). I dunno.

Did you ever write up that pdf, or is it the system compiled by phoenikuz?

Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain

Did you ever write up that pdf, or is it the system compiled by phoenikuz?

It has nothing to do with Phoenikuz system at all.

I did some very minor alterations, mainly just using the turn sequence and the 'fog of war' from I Ain't Been Shot, Mum! and then the stats and rules from 2nd ed.

IABSM uses cards to activate units. Each 'independent' element gets a card. Really nasty units can have two cards. There are also race specific cards (invent some hoey)... but it's really all written in the first post.  :)

There should also be a 'psionics' card in the deck signalling the start of the psi phase. Some turns will have one, and some wont.  lol

Offline Vinlander

• Scientist
Great batrep 'Viking!! Does make me a bit nostalgic. I agree with some of the opinions voiced here in that 40k has really lost its way. I'd much rather play 1st or 2nd ed  than the current. There was so much more you could do with those early editions in terms of narrative/scenario play (indeed 40k Rogue Trader was written to be exactly that type of game!).

hmmm...might have to see if anyone in my neck of the woods wants to try something like this  ;)
"English is the result of the efforts of Norman men-at-arms to make
dates with Saxon barmaids, and is no more legitimate than any of the
other results." -- H. Beam Piper