Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:27:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690724
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Badlands  (Read 3258 times)

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
Badlands
« on: February 17, 2016, 02:16:20 PM »
Just some badlands terrain I just finished.  I did it using sculpting block that I decided on a lark to test out.  Needless to say it is pretty cool stuff.  The foam is similar in texture as green floral foam and it is as easy to work with.  Nice thing is it has the strength of insulating foam and resists breaking and damage.  Sculpting block is on the pricey side at sixteen pounds for a 15cm cube.  So far it has not reacted with the following chemicals:  Superglue, spray paint, spray sealer and liquid plastic cement.
Looks like it is only available in the UK and South Africa at the moment sou you folks in the states need to wait.  Here is the packaging. 

All of the rocks were done with a hobby knife, sandpaper and a needle rasp.  The saguaros were worked with the same tools.  I still need to do vegetation so these are not finished. 
Hope you like.

Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Re: Badlands
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 02:17:24 PM »
Awesome terrain! Love the look and it really fits in well with Malifaux 8)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Teardrop World

• Librarian
    • Teardrop Worlds, blog
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 04:11:00 PM »
Very evocative, the uncommon shape of the rocks is an idea to steal  :) Saguaros are brilliant! Did you plan to put spikes on them?

Cheers

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 05:36:27 PM »
Saguaros are brilliant! Did you plan to put spikes on them?
Cheers
Thanks for the nice words all.  No spines.  At this scale they would be lost anyway.  I did glue sand onto the ridges to represent the spine buds on the actual plants. 
Snitchy sends.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 05:59:43 PM »
Great looking rocks.
Fine looking terrain pieces.
Will look for the foam when it comes to the US.
Semper Fi, Mac

Online marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 07:47:35 PM »
Nice!  the cactuses are particularly good  :-*
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Teardrop World

• Librarian
    • Teardrop Worlds, blog
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 05:58:30 PM »
I did glue sand onto the ridges to represent the spine buds on the actual plants.

I was trying to guess how you made it, the result is very organic and natural  :-*
I imagine a vulture on one of them, waiting for the aftermath of the game  :D

Cheers

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 06:44:02 PM »
Nice cacti!

The material sounds a lot like some stuff we already do have here in the 'States: high-density polyurethane carving foam made for model building. Way more expensive than polystyrene, but has better carving behavior and stiffness. "Renshape" is the biggest brand, and is marketed towards professional modelers and prototypers. It comes in various harnesses/densities, and is insanely expensive. There's also a hobby-oriented brand called "Balsa Foam" which is much less expensive, but still very expensive.

Though I suspect the market for them has been dying out. They were always niche and hard to source, as even the hobby brands were kinda priced out of the market for non-professional/industry use. These days I think 3D printing has killed off their small scale applications, and IIRC the pros who do large scale foam carving often just pour their own foam blocks these days.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 06:48:33 PM by Connectamabob »
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 11:53:25 PM »
Thanks for all the nice comments.  I am particularly happy with the Saguaros. 
The material sounds a lot like some stuff we already do have here in the 'States: high-density polyurethane carving foam made for model building.
Never saw anything similar while I was there but my home town was a bit dry for hobby supplies.  Glad to know that it might be around. 
Snitchy sends.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 12:39:33 AM »
Oh, that's not at all surprising. Pretty much no brick and mortar places actually carry Balsa Foam. It's always been something you get online or via mail order. Only time I've ever seen the stuff in person was a little credit card sized sample block being passed around by the employees at a big mom-and-pop craft store (it was a huge store, with an unusually well curated model section).

Renshape has always been a very B2B-oriented product aimed at professional modelmakers. Its natural habitat would be places like product design studios or Hollywood FX houses, purchased directly from a supplier rather than from a retailer.

Both are easy to find via google. Just spendy, is all.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 05:57:04 AM »
 Very nice looking terrain and pictures too.I have loads of the pink insulation foam which i have been mucking about with.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 10:51:14 AM »
I've bought a pack of this material 2 years agoin a local hobbycrafts store (Schleiper, Belgium) because it look interesting. Never did anything with it  ::)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline DELTADOG

• Mad Scientist
  • The two-handed G.E.C.K
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 04:34:02 PM »
I´ve found a two Blocks 30x15cmx5cm for 23€ offer on amazon and give it a chance. I´ve plenty ideas what to make with it, we will see how well it works.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 09:33:40 PM »
I've bought a pack of this material 2 years agoin a local hobbycrafts store (Schleiper, Belgium) because it look interesting. Never did anything with it  ::)
I´ve found a two Blocks 30x15cmx5cm for 23€ offer on amazon and give it a chance. I´ve plenty ideas what to make with it, we will see how well it works.
It is very cool stuff.  A bit too good for hills but very worthwhile stuff. 
Snitchy sends.