Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:35:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gnolls  (Read 10455 times)

Offline GypsyBreath

• Assistant
Re: Gnolls
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2016, 08:57:08 AM »
what a handsome chap!
Cant wait to see the rest of them

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2016, 10:41:05 AM »
I think it looks good already, and 3ups always look less impressive than the regular size guys, so I have good hopes it will look even better then.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2016, 11:17:31 AM »
Like it generally, but the hands are not very animalistic and the head.. well I think it would make for a great teddy bear conversion :P

I wonder if that's deliberate to allow more kitbashing with their other plastic kits. They do seem to be deliberately expanding the range of possibilities into the infinite, by making sure all the parts of their plastic boxed sets are (fairly) interchangeable.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline GlennM

• Schoolboy
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2016, 03:22:13 PM »
Eh, not a fan.  The whole thing strikes me as off.  The pose seems a bit weak, the way the arms are held seems unusual, the face seems a bit too non-predatory.  I dunno, not my cup of tea.  Pity as I like plastics and am excited to see more. 

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2016, 03:40:37 PM »
It's probably been said,but size wise what will they be like compared to the frostgrave soldiers/Fireforge plastic kits.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2016, 05:41:37 PM »
Shiny! Now please show us the full set! Id love to have a couple of those...

Offline Xintao

• Librarian
    • Xin's Lair
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2016, 06:21:01 PM »
Can't wait! Already saving for multiple boxes.
Xin

My Blog: Xin's Lair

Offline Mo!

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2016, 06:21:42 PM »
I think the plastics have proven to be cool and in my eyes better then expected... i wish all the naysayers would just shut up till the product is in hand... you dont like it dont buy it. I love the attitude of the producers, they actually encourige you to use your own crap so dont like the gnolls buy em somewhere else... constructive crittezism is one thing but all the bitching wtf is that all about, this is Lead Adventure Forum take your moning to TMP please!
Be mindful of the prayers you send
Pray hard but pray with care
For the tears that you are crying now
Are just your answered prayers

Offline GlennM

• Schoolboy
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2016, 07:08:27 PM »
Uhm, I didn't think I was bitching.  Just stating my opinion.  There hasn't been anyone bitching on this thread at all that I've noticed.  I think I provided some constructive feedback too, concerns over posing stances and facial features. 

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2016, 07:35:24 PM »
Let's not let this thread go the way of the first one and end up getting locked or we'll not get to see further updates.

If you don't like them fine that's your opinion but at this stage sharing them and deflating others' excitement and enthusiasm might not be helpful. Also it's probably a little late for any constructive criticism even if it's said respectfully as they'll already be well under way.

Offline GlennM

• Schoolboy
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2016, 08:10:47 PM »
Eh, it's never too late to revise things, unless they already made the molds any expenses at adjustments now would be much cheaper in the long run.  And honestly, my pose concerns may be minimal given it was assembled with blue tak, and if so they could sell themselves better by using a more interesting pose. 

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2016, 08:27:42 PM »
I'm in agreement with Glenn regarding the posing. This is a 3 up with blutak. It gives me an idea of what the models will look like, not an absolute final product. I can do all sorts of things with posing to make the models look a lot better. Even more with additional bits and basing.
"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

Gold foil, diamond-etched, creme filled, limited-edition, collector's item number one anger issues

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2016, 08:37:08 PM »
He's better than anything I could sculpt.

Don't really know anything about Gnolls, Attenborough hasn't done a wildlife documentary about them yet and I haven't met one (although might have smelt one at a show last year)

Like the idea of using them as a Libyan hyena band for Wargods.

I wondered about using them as Woozels for Toad Hall.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2016, 08:38:09 PM »
Looks great so far!
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2016, 08:51:04 PM »
Yep, a lot easier to see the details in this pic. It does look better.

The whole thing strikes me as off.  The pose seems a bit weak, the way the arms are held seems unusual

I think part of the problem is that polystyrene wargaming minis are still a relatively new or unusual thing outside Games Workshop. Folk like the Perrys, who've been doing this kind of thing for years, for GW  - especially the LotR range - seem to have little trouble making multipart, interchangeable minis that still have realistic poses. (Maybe because the anatomy is not all that much exaggerated, and usually well covered with cloth and metal) For others, unfortunately there usually seems to be greater or lesser similarities to the multipart plastics GW were doing about 15-20 years ago.

Cubs has a point about interchangeability of kit bits, and after seeing what the likes of Captain Blood does with them, it's a pretty good point. But on the other hand I think multipart for the sake of multipart can too easily lead to the kind of awkward, stiff connections and poses that Glenn's talking about. (Still wondering what on earth they were thinking of with chaos marauder arms, all these years later) Looking at some of the kits and plastic figures GW have produced since those limited-swappability LotR kits, I'm starting to warm to the idea of miniature figurines, but in plastic, compared to the action-figure look. More organic connection where it's needed, or possible. I wonder if there's a better way to attach arms and shoulders, at least. Maybe not the way Conquest does it...

I also look at the hands of rank-n-file grunts like these, compared to blocky fists where every knuckle lines up, and think details like this are why non-GW plastics need to play catch-up.

(FWIW quite a few posters on another popular forum weren't too impressed with the first photo either but it didn't lead to a barney

I wish all the naysayers would just shut up till the product is in hand... you dont like it dont buy it. I love the attitude of the producers, they actually encourige you to use your own crap so dont like the gnolls buy em somewhere else... constructive crittezism is one thing but all the bitching wtf is that all about, this is Lead Adventure Forum take your moning to TMP please!

I wonder if the LAF is a little too used used to 'that's great' and 'very nice' responses, so that 'I don't like it' comes as a bit of a shock. Again, not advocating a moanfest, not like TMP or the other place (I think the LAF is too personal and well-moderated for that anyway) but there has to be a little polite wiggle room to say what doesn't quite impress you, and why. It might be a bit more useful for a burgeoning, WIP metal/resin range, rather than a completed plastic kit, but still...

If you don't like them fine that's your opinion but at this stage sharing them and deflating others' excitement and enthusiasm might not be helpful. Also it's probably a little late for any constructive criticism even if it's said respectfully as they'll already be well under way.

I don't know if our disappointment will put anyone off buying them. Quite the opposite, I'd guess. ;) But when is the time for constructive criticism? It might be even less useful when another hypothetical kit or two, with the same kind of niggles, are released. :?

For a pound a mini, and with a look at this second pic, I think the frostgrave gnolls measure up. I don't criticise or begrudge folk for liking them. But I still think there are small - maybe even reasonable - tweaks and details that could have been.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 09:05:23 PM by Vermis »