Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:11:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689637
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Forever War - Ghosts of Honorius  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Hincmar

• Bookworm
The Forever War - Ghosts of Honorius
« on: February 20, 2016, 08:56:15 AM »
Greetings.  Very long time lurker who has marvelled at the quality of the stuff on this forum.  My usual area of interest is WW2 in 20mm but I've long wanted to get into sci fi gaming.   One of my favourite books is Joe Haldemann's The Forever War so that seemed an appropriate title for this thread.

Given the number of 40K gamers in my vicinity and my son's interest in the milieu, I've started off with a Space Marine project.    So far, only some WIP but I'll be working more on this project over the coming months.   Some fun has been had "retroconverting" this Predator tank by scratchbuilding some futuristic turret schurzen and upgrading the autocannon.   These schurzen are constructed from galvanised plasteel and can resist most "conventional" ammunition types that the force expects to meet in zenomorphic combat with the exception, perhaps, of the bewildering material unleashed by the Tesla and other Necron estoterica.

I added a scratchbuilt mesh-screen to the rear deck.

The radar-scope and zoning apparatus ensures maximum accuracy at all times including night fighting right through to the volcanic ash hazes of combusting planet scapes.

The Chapter in question is a little known and obscure force that calls itself "The Ghosts" due to their light grey camouflage schemes which give their Marines superb concealment properties.  This is Captain Honorius, the Commander of Company B, together with one of the unit's Dreadnoughts.

Captain Honorius has a dedicated bodyguard section of "beakies" including a plasma gun.

Company B has two sections of Terminators, of which this is the first.

The Company has excellent long range weaponry including this missile launcher, with a loader and standard boltguns by way of back-up.

A second missile launcher section.

At the heart of The Ghosts' credo is a fanatical obsession with close combat.  Company B therefore has a number of flamethrower sections which have proved especially useful in "bug hunting" as well as cleaning out Ork strongholds.

A second flamethrower section.

Lastly a group shot of the unit so far.

I used a mix of VJ German Grey with Prussian Blue, successively lightened until a final pure white layer of zenithal highlights to create a slightly eerie effect.  

I've managed to get some games in recently at our local club and have enjoyed playing 40k.  A very dense and challenging game - much better than a lot of people suggest.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 08:58:07 AM by Hincmar »

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: The Forever War - Ghosts of Honorius
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 10:00:34 AM »
Welcome! Glad you decided to share these and look forward to your progress.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: The Forever War - Ghosts of Honorius
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 03:46:19 PM »
I've managed to get some games in recently at our local club and have enjoyed playing 40k.  A very dense and challenging game - much better than a lot of people suggest.

Well, I'd be one of 'those people', though my contrariness is that I'd have said I found it unnecessarily and awkwardly 'dense and challenging'.  ;)

However, your enjoyment sweeps that away, and your WWII sensibilities in the Pred conversion is MOST pleasing!  :-*

I also look forward to further work!

Doug

Edit: And equally high marks on your inspiration!