Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:50:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Shaved Dwarf's Conversion Adventure  (Read 10983 times)

Offline Shaved Dwarf

• Scientist
Shaved Dwarf's Conversion Adventure
« on: February 21, 2016, 08:33:04 PM »
The objective is to build an army of orcs in 28mm. Nothing exciting, I know, but I have some constraints that make this enterprise a challenge. Well, at least for me.

• I don't want to buy new miniatures. Anything is to be made from those I have already in my dungeon...
  • There are only three poses of orcs I have to get along with.

These three poses are an orc with a blade, one with a spear and one with a bow. That's it.

I have a sack of them in the cellar. They have been waiting for a couple of years by now. Waiting in the darkness to be summoned to the field of battle. And their time has come.
(Err... got a little carried away...)

I bought them dirt cheap in 2009 from em4. They were sold singly for 20 Pence and as a sack of 50 for 7,50 £ (that's 15 pence a piece). And a bag of 50 shields (from 3 different) was sold for 1 £.
But there's a catch, of course, ... they aren't quite what I'd call a miniature. The sculpts are rather simple, most details are somehow blurry. They're made from plastic that's inferiour to that I know from GW or Gripping Beast (but this may be subjective). They have massive mould lines and these go all around the whole casting. And they have integral bases and these are thick. And these are broad, so have to be cut to get enough minis on a base (if we assume that every model should get an area of 20mm in square, as this is a very common dimension for 28mm infantry models).
All in all, I'd say they resemble more pieces from a board game than wargaming miniatures.
Don't get me wrong, I don't hate them. They have restrictions, yes, but also have some kind of down-to-earth oldschool charm that appealed to me. And they stimulated what I'd call some sporty spirit within me, something that made me want to try to build an army from three poses.

Um... did I mention they were dirt cheap? :)

Every model has a cylindrical extension on its back that can be seen on the first image on the left one. A similar, but shorter is on the inside of most of the shields.

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
Re: Shaved Dwarf's Conversion Adventure
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 12:27:55 AM »
If you search for "em4 orcs challenge" on this forum you can see the wonders that can be made with these monopose figs.

Offline Shaved Dwarf

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 12:50:09 AM »
I started with the archers:

In the beginning I took a leisurely pace: On the left an unchanged model with a shield attached to its back, in the middle I've simply added a shield boss, and on the right I've added some buttons or rivets to the bracer, the scabbard and the quiver. And I cut the cylinder off the last one's back. Doing this I discovered, to my amazement, hollow spaces in the torso. :?

On the next one I removed the neckline that shows a chain mail on the chest and on the back (to be seen best on the right one of the previous image):

Unfortunately I was so smart to attach a shield on the model's back so the removed chain mail can't be seen. ::)

Then I accelerated the pace a little. On the left one I cut the arm off and attached it again in a raised position. Freed the back from the cylinder and that's it.
The orc in the middle is no archer but one of the spearmen. I cut off his left hand and replaced it with an archer's hand I cut off, too. His right arm I cut through the elbow and did the same to one of the swordmen. Removed the sword and glued the forearm to the archer's elbow in a position as if he just took an arrow from the quiver at his back. Because a swordman's torso isn't equipped with a quiver I had to build one myself. As I hadn't the confidence to try a quiver filled with arrows in modelling putty I carved it from a GW plastic sprue. A button/rivet to each of the quiver's side and we're finished. At least that's what I thought... of course I forgot to give him the arrow in his right hand that he just took from his quiver before taking the picture.
The right orc is made from a swordman. Cut off the right arm above the elbow and attached it again (after removing the sword) so that it doesn't point to the side but to the front. The left forearm I exchanged with that of an archer and carved a quiver like I did on the model in the middle.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 12:54:24 AM by Shaved Dwarf »

Offline Shaved Dwarf

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 01:05:29 AM »
Hey, Reed, just noticed that you've written a posting while I was writing (yes, I'm a slow writer).
Did what you suggested... :o ... and was - I have to confess - displeased by what I saw. :'(
Someone did it before, I could have done something more wise in the last 2 hours, for example sleeping. Everything would have been better than writing about something nobody is interested in, because someone told the story already. What a waste of time... :(

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 11:44:31 AM »
Hey, Reed, just noticed that you've written a posting while I was writing (yes, I'm a slow writer).
Did what you suggested... :o ... and was - I have to confess - displeased by what I saw. :'(
Someone did it before, I could have done something more wise in the last 2 hours, for example sleeping. Everything would have been better than writing about something nobody is interested in, because someone told the story already. What a waste of time... :(

Don't be disappointed, I would like to do a similar project for Kings of War. Making an affordable yet still special army sounds too good to me.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 04:19:26 PM »
Those conversions look very good. I wouldn't say no one is interested, I will be checking back regularly for updates on this. :)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 05:16:56 PM »
This is an interesting project - and these are great conversions.

As I understand it, these models weren't actually sculpted by Nick Lund, but by a colleague consciously imitating his style. One thing that strikes me about them is that the tusks are in a strange position - too close together and too inward-pointing. I'd be tempted to reposition at least some of them further out (like those on genuine Lund orcs). Removing some altogether might be another way to add variety.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 07:41:23 PM »
Yup - using those is always a great idea,  and useful to see someone else's take on how to modify those classic cheap orcs  :)

Offline Shaved Dwarf

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 02:10:46 PM »
Well, I think you're right, guys.
After all, surrendering is no option for a self-respecting orc! :)

@Hobgoblin:
Yes, the tusks bugged me a little, too. But I didn't dare to try face conversions. Maybe I change my mind in the course of time as I (hopefully) gain experience with converting.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 02:23:46 PM »
They are a pretty solid choice for learning/practicing conversion techniques, and cheap!

Do more and show us.

I have a pile of them myself, along with the Dwarves of course, waiting for their moment in the light of the workbench.

They are in the queue. it's a long queue, but they are working their way up!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 02:34:02 PM »
EXCELLENT WORK! Your deft conversion work is yielding some subtly different minis from the same casting. GREAT STUFF!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 03:20:56 PM »
I like the quivers - good idea there.

The other guy never posted up his finished painted offering so you can still get there first!

Offline Shaved Dwarf

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 09:47:37 PM »
Thank you for the kind words.

Well, then:

This one got a fancy loincloth and a belt buckle. As you can see, I'm using up the remains of putty I have, so some of the conversions might look a little patchy... BTW, meanwhile I cut off the bases.

This one is a spearman with the spear replaced by a blade I carved myself from plasticard. I'm not really satisfied with the blade, but as it is my first one, I guess it'll suffice... Removed the belt pouch from his right thigh and the gaiters (or whatelse these things on the boots are supposed to be). Glued a shield to the hand and that's it.

A spearman again, with the stockings removed from his lower legs. Cut off the left arm and positioned it in front of the body to hold a shield. Hid the joint at the shoulder with an epaulette. Provided the shield with a spike.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 09:52:14 PM by Shaved Dwarf »

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 12:09:56 AM »
As already said, it is interesting to see the potential of these cheap figures. You are doing an very nice job on the conversions, I can't wait to see some painted.

Offline Shaved Dwarf

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2016, 08:36:28 PM »
Thank you.

I'm afraid it'll take some time until I start painting. I usually wait until I have a dozen or so miniatures.