Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:03:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689708
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 736
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The less-than-brilliant modelling club  (Read 34883 times)

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The less-than-brilliant modelling club
« Reply #210 on: June 01, 2017, 06:03:48 AM »
I rather think it proves you are not alone in being an idiot. You are in very distinguished company.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #211 on: June 01, 2017, 10:31:23 AM »
It is a well known fact, that the blood God has to be appeased for every new blade.

That is probably how the myth about gurkhas and their kukris came about.

<gurkhali>"Look at the keen edge at this bent knife I just sharpened! Owww, fuck!"</gurkhali>

Making virtue out of necessity...or klutziness, as it were.

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #212 on: June 28, 2017, 09:00:03 AM »
A subset of the paint spill.

Trying to close a Foundry paint pot (same snap top style as the old Citadel ones) one handed by pushing on the top.  The obvious happens - the base slips and sends the pot flying sideways across the paint station (aka kitchen worktop!)

First grab the pot to stand up right, next grab the figures, next grab the brushes, next start mopping the worktop, then spot paint all over the other paints, then notice it on the floor, then notice it spattered up the back door.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #213 on: June 28, 2017, 12:10:35 PM »
Argh. Swearing a plenty?
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #214 on: June 28, 2017, 12:33:37 PM »
No. 110 (I got in in time to be the other Messerschmidt!)

Trying to save time by undercoating an army of Aztecs with a promising-looking Mesoamerican spray-on flesh tone. It turned out to be aerosol flock, and I was now the proud owner of an army of Mexican teddy-bears.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #215 on: June 28, 2017, 03:47:52 PM »
I was now the proud owner of an army of Mexican teddy-bears.

You have discovered a new genre?

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #216 on: June 28, 2017, 04:02:18 PM »
 While my most egregious episodes of kak-handedness have confined themselves to other areas, (most colourfully, trying to cut a slice from a frozen loaf) I will put forward;
 No.111 - having put stainless steel bearings into some Vallejo dropper bottles, then giving some German Camo Dark Green a good shake, only to find I'd neglected to put the bottle cap back on & tiger striped the spare room.
 (Also, home resin casting - a fantastically useful thing - up until you cock up the resin/hardener ratio & have to spend hours trying to scrape viscous, stinking mess out of the mold.)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #217 on: June 28, 2017, 04:41:08 PM »
Not worthy of a new list number, but this week, while cleaning up some very beautiful but fiddly Dreamforge Eisenkern figures prior to assembly, I have managed to stab myself in the same place on the same thumb no less than FOUR times.   :?

My boy has just shown an interest in model soldiers for the first time, and we have been making some plastic Saxons and Goblins together. I'm starting to think I'm not a good example but a horrible warning...

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #218 on: July 04, 2017, 11:55:12 PM »
No 31 (???)

Can't believe this hasn't come up already...

Squeezing that Vallejo paint bottle to deposit a small bead of paint on the palette, only to find it is blocked, so squeezing a little bit more forcefully, only to find a tiny little bit seeps out - but aha! It must be coming, so give that bottle just one more good sharp squeeze - and watch as the completely congested stopper flies out, followed by the entire contents of the bottle, spraying paint over everything, including one's self, and all the half finished and nearly finished models in the vicinity...
Not saying i'm unbelievably dumb sometimes, but I must have done that at least half a dozen  times... I'm always so sure it's just about to produce the paint I need, then BANG! Disaster...  ::) lol

Only the once for me.. painting the finishing touches on a Langton Models Napoleonic French fleet, fully painted and rigged, went to paint a highlight on the tricolour in blue..   blue paint everywhere..  all over the models, the table, the carpet.. literally hundreds and hundreds of hours work ruined.  Never again.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline katie

• Scientist
« Reply #219 on: July 05, 2017, 09:48:27 PM »
I keep a couple of medium size safety pins handy; they're just the right size to debung a VJ bottle.

And the safety pin-ness minimises the chances of sharp-related accidents around them...

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #220 on: September 26, 2017, 06:11:12 AM »
No. 112
I just had to dust off this old thread for this one.
If you keep the scenery you're building on the cats' favourite couch you're asking for it. If it's a fairly resistant piece, then it's reasonably safe. The cats even took to sitting on the unoccupied (and very comfy) bolsters on the ends.

Then Fox* threw up on it. I had three sections lying about - a flat surface,  a building, and the junkyard scenery I had shown elsewhere, with nooks and crannies and tight spaces. Guess which he chose?

The junkyard now has an organic selection of rubbish.

I was going to include a pic but ultimately decided against even taking it. Urgh.

*Fox the cat, named after we mistook him for a stray we had called Scully. He adopted us and came to live with us. He's 18, poor old fellow, and dribbles too.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #221 on: September 26, 2017, 11:13:01 AM »
My OH&S manager at home tells me not to do this all the time. I follow her advice, but secretly dismiss them as silly.

I can never tell her this story!

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #222 on: September 26, 2017, 11:36:28 AM »
Yesterday as I was applying Gloop to the base of a freshly painted 28mm Mychenean Horseman I dropped him into the Gloop - completely covering him, his horse and their fres paincoat in a layer of paint, sand and glue. :'(

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #223 on: September 26, 2017, 12:51:20 PM »

Never think you have enough time to make a cup of tea while you have sculpey in the oven.

never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #224 on: September 26, 2017, 01:51:32 PM »
My two favorite stupid injuries:

1) Chopped the webbing between my left thumb and forefinger in half with a hobby knife (A Testors disposable one that's like a #11 X-Acto blade in a molded plastic grip, if you must know). This was back in the early nineties when I was an early teen. I was working on a vinyl model kit (a Horizon ED-209, could even tell you which specific part), foolishly trimming towards my self. Hit a soft spot in the vinyl, and ZWOOP, went right through and into my hand. Only 3 stitches, surprisingly, but I still have the scar.

2) Chopped my left thumbnail in half trying to open a can of Insta-Mold alginate. This was in my late teens or very early 20s, I don't remember exactly. The can was a cardboard tube with a metal lid like a house paint can. I couldn't find a flathead screwdriver or anything like that, but I DID find a chisel. The end was too thick to hook under the rim of the lid properly, so when I applied force, it skipped out and raked over the top of the thumb holding the can. Gashed the flesh to the first knuckle, chopping the nail completely in half along the way. Nasty at the time, but healed strangely perfectly. No scar at all, and the nail grew back like nothing ever happened.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.