Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:13:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The less-than-brilliant modelling club  (Read 35088 times)

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
Re: The less-than-brilliant modelling club
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2016, 12:03:44 PM »
60. Refusing to accept a slightly gloss finish...

Finished two minis and varnished them gloss followed by matt as usual. It was a new bottle of matt and seemed to dry with a slight gloss finish so I added another coat and it was still a bit shiny. Then I read advice that the Vallejo matt should be thoroughly shaken so I went ahead and gave a real good shake and added a 4th varnish coat. It ended up waaaaaay worse, super glossy... Then I noticed I put the gloss and matt varnish bottles next to each other and they look the same.  >:(

Well added a 5th and final coat and well they're matt now if not super smooth looking...  ::)

Offline jthomlin

• Scientist
    • My Trade site
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2016, 12:29:14 PM »
61. That doh! moment.

Having that 'odd' feeling when assembling a model but ignoring it, until the realisation comes that yes you aren't doing it right, exactly 1 millisecond after the glue cures ...  >:(

62. Cheap bottles.

Reaching down into the paint drawer of your lovely $500 Auto tool cabinet, you pull out a 200ml bottle of varnish by the cap and begin to shake ... bottle breaks off at the neck and proceeds seemingly in slow motion spewing sticky liquid over and into other half open drawers before finally landing and disgorging the rest of its contents in the drawer from whence it came. An hour later and I'm still cleaning sticky crap off with isopropyl alcohol.  :'(

Cheers!
Joe Thomlinson
"There is a pleasure sure In being mad which none but madmen know."

~John Dryden, The Spanish Friar, 1681

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2016, 02:42:27 PM »
Number 63 - Cocking a leg!

Double-triple checking that a vehicles four wheels all touch the ground evenly throughout construction. So why does one of the wheels sit noticeable higher than he rest now and not touch the ground at all? Looks like the thing is trying to pee against a tree!

For the gold medal, slowly apply measured pressure to the whole model, slowly bending axles and all sorts to get all four wheels to sit correctly. Almost there until one or more snap off :-)
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline baldlea

• Librarian
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2016, 02:52:33 PM »
Number 64 - Spraying too close to the edge of the board

When spraying figures laying on a board in the garden, avoid getting the spray too close to the edge. The missus hates the colourful rectangle outlines covering part of the lawn.

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2016, 03:13:37 PM »
Number 65.  Using up the last dregs in the can. 

The final dregs of black undercoat came splooting out in little drops meaning instead of a nice even coat the figures developed a slight fuzz.

Offline throwsFireball

• Scientist
« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2016, 03:15:49 PM »

When spraying figures laying on a board in the garden, avoid getting the spray too close to the edge. The missus hates the colourful rectangle outlines covering part of the lawn.

Tell her it's postmodern grass art.

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2016, 03:47:54 PM »
As both modeller and wife, I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread! Between the "Yep, I've done that" and the "Yep, I've cleaned that or found evidence of it weeks later" I'm crying I'm laughing so hard over here.

My first was not physically painful but...

Number 66- Using one's mouth to hold one's brush "just for a second"

I was using a large brush with the pigments from the model railroad company (woodland scenics maybe?) in our crafting cage in the basement of our first apartment. My chair was next to the shelving unit where the boombox was. Tape ended and the call went out for more tunes. Put brush in mouth to free up the clean hand to switch tapes, turned my head toward my outstretched arm, and painted a brilliant splotch of rain grey on my brand-new Bruce Springsteen concert t-shirt. (That I was wearing to paint in why?)

In the same basement cage...
Number 67- Asking the pizza delivery kid to come down through the garage into the basement where one is using large quantities of green clump foliage

This fortunately did not result in a visit by our local police, but the restaurant asked us to meet the delivery guy in the driveway after that...

Jevenkah

Offline The Mystic Spiral

• Librarian
    • Mystic Spirals Miniatures
« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2016, 04:02:53 PM »
Number 68? Getting a mouthful of sand whilst basing.

Did it yesterday and still don't know why or how.

J
It wasn't me. Honest. This big monkey did it and ran off.
MysticSpiralsMonkeyBusinessBlog

Offline harleyface

• Scientist
« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2016, 04:18:45 PM »
69 breathing in the Box with static grass...
Looks somehow beautiful when the green clouds slowly fly to the ground...

Cultist#83

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2016, 05:18:37 PM »

I had to quickly mow the lawn to hide the black outlines that appeared after doing this. I did think about just filling the whole thing in in black and pretending it was a hole.

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #100 on: February 25, 2016, 06:01:30 PM »
no 70a Enthusiastic painting...

As a young teenager I painted so much white gloss paint on the wings of a model Concorde I had built, it didn't dry for about six weeks... My brother in law who was a painter and decorator at the time, helped me sand it down, so it could be recoated

no 70b Experimental painting...

Building an Apache Helicopter, deciding to tint the canopy with thinned green humbrol acrylic, then deciding against it and washing it off by leaving it in white spirit... Canopy now had green 'frosted' look... Apache kit never finished due to ruined canopy....

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #101 on: February 25, 2016, 06:03:10 PM »
Oops bolded the whole post...

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #102 on: February 25, 2016, 07:56:38 PM »
No. 71 - Rolling your painbrush on your tongue in order to get a nice point, only to realise you hadn't properly washed the last lot of paint off.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2016, 09:01:05 PM »
Oops bolded the whole post...
Would that be #72 then?

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2016, 09:10:22 PM »
In the same basement cage...
Number 67- Asking the pizza delivery kid to come down through the garage into the basement where one is using large quantities of green clump foliage

This fortunately did not result in a visit by our local police, but the restaurant asked us to meet the delivery guy in the driveway after that...

Jevenkah

lol First time I've laughed out loud in this thread; my wife wanted to know what was so funny. Unsurprisingly she didn't get it.

No. 72: Seeing your miniatures fly off the 16th floor balcony
Spray undercoating 15mm miniatures on a tray on a high rise balcony and had them tumble to the ground as I forgot to Blu-tac them properly into place.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen