Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:11:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The less-than-brilliant modelling club  (Read 35086 times)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: The less-than-brilliant modelling club
« Reply #120 on: February 27, 2016, 08:34:37 PM »
You're a good man.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #121 on: February 28, 2016, 12:10:24 AM »
You're a good man.

I've clearly forgiven her too hahahahahahahahhaha

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #122 on: February 28, 2016, 07:31:26 AM »
I am dying here.  If I responded with all of the ones I have done either the same or so similar as to not matter, I would have quoted 2/3rds of this thread.

#82 Drunken mercs

During a group painting 'Cram' session before a tournament, the ogre player spills his bourbon on the just-finished Dogs of War unit, that belonged to the only sober one at the table. We insisted he not wash them, but let the mercs drink it up!

And it really did make sense at the time to the three of us.  2 weeks later, the unit still smelled vaguely of bourbon.

and #83 - No more drunken Chaos Wars

We had just finished painting our Ral Partha Chaos Wars armies, and had to play on the floor.  We started taking shots for each unit that broke, and after the game, no-one wanted to pick up. From the couch to the bathroom went directly across the battlefield.  Anyone else remember those Sea Elf pikes - that we used to make brass rod spears for with the pound-it-flat-and-clip-it-to-a-point method?  23 of them dead center in my foot - took 20 minutes with a pliers to get them all out.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline jthomlin

• Scientist
    • My Trade site
« Reply #123 on: February 28, 2016, 11:23:46 AM »
and #83 - No more drunken Chaos Wars

We had just finished painting our Ral Partha Chaos Wars armies, and had to play on the floor.  We started taking shots for each unit that broke, and after the game, no-one wanted to pick up. From the couch to the bathroom went directly across the battlefield.  Anyone else remember those Sea Elf pikes - that we used to make brass rod spears for with the pound-it-flat-and-clip-it-to-a-point method?  23 of them dead center in my foot - took 20 minutes with a pliers to get them all out.

I feel your pain. Way back in the day when I was into 15mm Ancients, a mate had a pike phalanx modelled and painted by his brother who had replaced the cast pikes with piano wire ones that had the hammered ends honed to razor sharpness on a whetstone. The standard deployment method from their deep sided carry box was:

• Reach in box
  • Scream loudly
  • Pull pikes from hand
  • Deploy on table
  • Seek medical assistance

I also have some 15mm crusader spearmen done by the same sadist, which while only armed with short spears made from florist wire, they are cunningly placed to point in all directions and never fail to 'wound'.

Cheers!
Joe Thomlinson

"There is a pleasure sure In being mad which none but madmen know."

~John Dryden, The Spanish Friar, 1681

Offline DELTADOG

• Mad Scientist
  • The two-handed G.E.C.K
« Reply #124 on: February 28, 2016, 12:59:36 PM »
#84: The Art of Pain or the constantly seeking of the most effective way to kill yourself with a Dremel / Proxxon machine!

Knifecuts are Old School, take an electrical driven cutting machine makes it soooo much more effective.

First time: Tried to seperate a large, just finish sculpted Model which contained 1.5mm Iron Wire with my Dremel and a metal cutting disc tool. Slipped off and hit my fingertip from above. Cutted 1cm deep in my finger and cleaved my Fingernail. The Disctool made the wound really ugly and it took month to heal!

Second time: Tried to drill a hole in a seperated shoulder of a sculpt to maintain the junctions for casting. The shoulderarea broke off and the milling cutter tip made a joyride from my thumb down to my middle hand. It took a Hand towel to hold the bleeding till I arrived the hospital.....

Third time: Iron brush rotating Tool. Tried to rough up the surface of a Metalcast Miniature to have a proper surface for a modding sculpt. Can`t say what happend exactly, was way to fast for my snaily brain, but in fact at the position where the modell should had been was my poor thumb getted shreddered by the high speed iron Brush. Found the Miniature later after the visit at the Doc. It layed 3m away from the place of the accident. outchn......

#85: Catzilla
NEVER EVER allow your pet to lay around your working table. My cat loved to lay on my feet while I was sculpting. My selfmade very important und over all beloved Needletool was rolling from the table......
Well what should I say, the cat never layed beneath the table again. The most tricky part was to chase the cat before it reached the Catdoor to claim my Needletool out of his arse before it would be lost in the garden for ever...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 01:21:44 PM by DELTADOG »

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #125 on: February 28, 2016, 07:54:14 PM »
No. 72: Seeing your miniatures fly off the 16th floor balcony[/b]
Spray undercoating 15mm miniatures on a tray on a high rise balcony and had them tumble to the ground as I forgot to Blu-tac them properly into place.

#72-3
Performing this feat on the 3rd floor with some nicely finished post apocalyptic biker only to see the tumbling into a lawn where they managed to find a hiding spot so good that I never managed to find them.

#85 Drunken painting session
The evening before a tournament we first went out for a few pints and when returning hours later and quite intoxicated decided that it was a good idea to highlite the GW furies with a big brush , abysmal light and an additional beer. Next day it became clear that those conditions were not optimal... Though in the middle of the night I was pretty sure I had done a stellar job.

#86 Opposing forces
Having finished a sci-fi rugby team, I went really for a finishing touch and put rare earth magnets under the bases, checked the polarity of the magnets and managed to still glue them the wrong way round. Sufficient to say that the players were not so good in holding onto the ball until I had fixed the ball
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #126 on: March 01, 2016, 07:37:01 AM »
Such a feast of recognition!  ;D A majority, of these I've either done myself or have witnessed happening at the club... The two below are all mine, though.

#87 Accidental precision dremelling
I was using a Dremel with a saw wheel (note: not a grinding wheel, an actual miniature circular sawblade) to cut off a significant portion of a (metal) miniature. Apparently there was some impurity in the metal the saw caught on as it suddenly yanked itself away from the miniature. Right across the back of my finger! I had cut diagonally across my fingernail. Immediately shut off the Dremel and looked at the neat little saw cut, waiting for the pain and gushing of blood to start, the other hand scrabbling for a towel to catch the inevitable red stuff. Found the towel after a few seconds, but no pain or blood, yet. Must be adrenaline-induced time dilation, I thought. So I waited a bit longer...still nothing. That's odd, I thought, and inspected the wound more closely. Apparently I'd managed to cut precisely through the nail itself, without actually damaging the (blood and nerve rich) nailbed beneath!
Typing this, I still get sweaty hands thinking back...

#88 Secondhand Dremel burns
You know how metal gets hot as you grind it? I had never noticed it before, as the old pewter models cut quite rapidly and I was new to the art of the Dremel. Then came along my first "white metal" figure. Held it firmly in my hand (clamps would damage the details, you know?) and started grinding. Gee, this took a while, that white metal is tough. And my fingers are starting to sting from the vibration. Huh, that feels odd? Ow, hot, hot, hot! And I reflexively let go. That's how I ended up with tiny little burns on my fingers and my right foot...

After the above two incidents, I became religious about wearing protective gloves around my Dremel... And shoes.

Oh, and 76b: After removing said slice (in my case, from the tip of my right middle finger), looking for the cut-off part of the miniature before looking for the cut-off part of self... Both with the intent of re-attachment.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 07:42:29 AM by Modhail »

Offline throwsFireball

• Scientist
« Reply #127 on: March 01, 2016, 08:22:34 AM »
#85 Drunken painting session
The evening before a tournament we first went out for a few pints and when returning hours later and quite intoxicated decided that it was a good idea to highlite the GW furies with a big brush , abysmal light and an additional beer. Next day it became clear that those conditions were not optimal... Though in the middle of the night I was pretty sure I had done a stellar job.

I'm definitely a better painter after one or two drinks. My hands are steadier. lol

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #128 on: March 01, 2016, 04:53:24 PM »
#76 c Dad's knife, used incorrectly

"Mom said don't carve like that."

http://swordandsorceryrpg.com/modelers-in-the-making/

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #129 on: March 01, 2016, 05:49:59 PM »
#76d, thinking a. I too slow.  I was working on a scratch built model and realized I needed to cut out and replace a panel. As I was cutting toward my hand I thought "if I keep dong this the knife will slip and cut me". At that point, the knife slipped and cut into the top of my thumb just behind the nail. That nail now has a permanent wave in it.

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #130 on: March 19, 2016, 08:10:43 PM »
#89, Resurfacing the table.

I used to have a nice task table for my workbench that I bought from an office supply store. It had a plastic coating on it that was stain proof and easy to clean up messes. Occasionally I would cut things directly on the surface instead of using a cutting mat. This habit came back to haunt me when I knocked over a jar of plastic cement. The plastic coating ignored the cement like everything else, until the spill spread to one of the nicks I had left in it. Capillary action instantly sucked some cement through the nick and it dissolved the glue holding the plastic in place, causing it to lift in huge bubbles. I cut the bubbles away, smoothed their edges as much as possible, and was much more careful with the plastic cement afterward.

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
« Reply #131 on: March 21, 2016, 07:50:36 AM »
Knocked over a bottle of Superglue onto the carpet which had some sort of reaction with the carpet. There was a bubbling and sizzling following by a "poof" sound and small mushroom cloud of vapour.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 06:36:02 PM by 6mmfan »

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #132 on: March 21, 2016, 08:14:54 AM »
lol

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #133 on: March 21, 2016, 03:33:26 PM »
#90: Using a small amount of PVA...

For applying sand etc to a miniatures base I normally squirt out a small amount of glue onto a piece of plastic to then apply to the figure base with a paintbrush.  Only a small amount of glue around, thereby avoiding accidents....

Late last night:
Twist open top of half litre PVA bottle, squirt out small amount and..... deposit around 1/3 of the bottle onto my workbench, having somehow undone the entire top rather than the small nozzle top.  Swear and save miniatures, as the growing PVA pool drips off the edge of the table onto jeans (thereby saving the floor!)
Note: PVA and kitchen towel makes for a very sticky mess.  ::)

2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #134 on: March 21, 2016, 05:06:01 PM »
 lol

Oh dear, Paul... Messy  ::)