Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:36:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Napoleon killed by Zulus  (Read 5632 times)

Offline Nemo de st privat

• Assistant
    • Facebook
Re: A Napoleon killed by Zulus
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 04:57:52 PM »
Saw this on Google......

Beautiful vignette:

Darrell.

:-* :-* :-*
Nemo de St Privat

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 09:44:19 PM »
If memory serves the frog Prince emptied his revolver into the oncoming Zulus...
and hit none of them!

:'(
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2016, 09:57:26 AM »
I was actually talking to my mum about this the other day. She volunteers at a local National Trust property and spends a day a week in tbe local archive going through the papers from the house. A few weeks ago they found a letter from a family member who was serving a the time and he mentions the death of the Prince Imperial. Apparently the was quite scathing about the troops who had been charged with protecting him, which I gather was a common sentiment at the time.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2016, 11:21:11 AM »
I was actually talking to my mum about this the other day. She volunteers at a local National Trust property and spends a day a week in tbe local archive going through the papers from the house. A few weeks ago they found a letter from a family member who was serving a the time and he mentions the death of the Prince Imperial. Apparently the was quite scathing about the troops who had been charged with protecting him, which I gather was a common sentiment at the time.

Have you still got the letter?

It would be a very useful first source for a number of folk I know who aren't just wargamers. A copy would be brilliant if that were ever possible (please)?

Darrell.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2016, 12:40:36 PM »
I would second what Atheling said it would be both useful and interesting to see.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2016, 05:16:27 PM »
Have you still got the letter?

It would be a very useful first source for a number of folk I know who aren't just wargamers. A copy would be brilliant if that were ever possible (please)?

Darrell.

It's in the possession of the National Trust as part of their collection from Erddig in North Wales. I'll have a chat to my Mum to ask the curator, maybe get it put online?

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2016, 06:16:11 PM »
Apparently the was quite scathing about the troops who had been charged with protecting him, which I gather was a common sentiment at the time.

Modern sentiments are more forgiving I think, heaping much of the blame on the Prince Imperial himself, who badgered the unfortunate Lt Carey (acting as nursemaid to the Prince, who was an unofficial observer) mercilessly into seeing a bit of action. It's now thought that despite being given clear instructions to stay in camp, the Prince took de facto command of a foraging party and led them to disaster. Carey's greatest misfortune was probably to have survived. He maintained that he gave the order to mount up and ride to safety, but that the Prince's saddle strap broke, tumbling him to the ground. In Victorian times, Carey was probably expected to have sacrificed his own life to save his charge's.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter