Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:52:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (Commercial) Living On The Frontline:Winter of '79 Rules Now Available  (Read 2919 times)

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
  • Z List Wargames Industry Celebrity

If you like the idea of gaming in an alternate late 1970's / early '80's in the UK, head to https://www.caliverbooks.com and pick up a copy of the new rules.

Or head to the Facebook Group on www.facebook.com/groups/771228536316806
Remember: the dice are not your friends!

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: (Commercial) Living On The Frontline:Winter of '79 Rules Now Available
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 07:55:37 PM »
I have to say that this has caught my imagination. Something appripriate for the Peoples Republic of Rotherham & Sheffield methinks
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline pinstrpepete

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 12:28:59 PM »
At first glance I didn't think this was for me but, as Stanley says above, it really has grown on me and got me intrigued! I think I'll definitely pick up the rules.

I was a little disappointed to read in the other thread that the rule book doesn't go into detail on the setting. Is this going to be covered elsewhere? That's probably what appeals to me most.

Love the blog as well. Any recommendations on unbiased books on the (real) situation in the UK at the time? I was only born in '82 and any info I have tends to be skewed by one political opinion or the other.

Best of luck with the project. I'll be following with interest.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 01:22:32 PM »
Hi PSP (a man after my own heart I see ...)

As I understand it, the first Supplement, with back - ground material, is likely to be released at Salute.

No doubt his nibs will say if this information is duff.

Ciao, as we say in South Yorkshire

J

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
  • Z List Wargames Industry Celebrity
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 10:36:19 PM »
Supplement should be out prior to Salute, just needs sample rosters for some of the factions and some work on scenarios. Photos done, text sorted - I reckon maybe at Hammerhead at a real push?

It's really down to layout and publisher.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 02:29:19 AM »
I was only born in '82 and any info I have tends to be skewed by one political opinion or the other.

I'm afraid you will find that any book will have its biases to varying degrees. Knowing what they are does inform your reading and lessens the effect of that bias though.

Needless to say that there were individuals on either side who would have turned this 'what if' into reality given the chance and could indeed have found enough grass roots support to create the appropriate factions. Maybe not a wholesale sundering of the UK into extremes, but enough to put people on the streets and make a game-worthy scenario.

People might disagree with me on this, but as a 'veteran' of the times, people were generally more prepared to put words into action and to resort to violence to solve problems. While most of the population were no more politically active than today, those that were seem to have been far more physically confrontational and extreme in their views.

Getting ten men tooled up and into a transit, turned into inviting your opponents to form a 'working group' somewhere along the way. While the latter is far better socially, it doesn't make much of a game.

:)

Offline Mike Bravo Minis

• Librarian
    • Mike Bravo Miniatures' Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 03:54:25 AM »
Getting ten men tooled up and into a transit, turned into inviting your opponents to form a 'working group' somewhere along the way. While the latter is far better socially, it doesn't make much of a game.

"Living by Powerpoint: An uncivil meeting in an overly hot room"

vs (KillerB Games)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 07:07:59 AM »
I'm afraid you will find that any book will have its biases to varying degrees. Knowing what they are does inform your reading and lessens the effect of that bias though.

Needless to say that there were individuals on either side who would have turned this 'what if' into reality given the chance and could indeed have found enough grass roots support to create the appropriate factions. Maybe not a wholesale sundering of the UK into extremes, but enough to put people on the streets and make a game-worthy scenario.

People might disagree with me on this, but as a 'veteran' of the times, people were generally more prepared to put words into action and to resort to violence to solve problems. While most of the population were no more politically active than today, those that were seem to have been far more physically confrontational and extreme in their views.

:)

Agree entirely with that description of the old days (am I that ancient?!  :o).

Your post immediately reminded me of GBH....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.B.H._(TV_series)

.....which IIRC even has a 'tooled up in a transit van' scene
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline pinstrpepete

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 01:03:15 PM »
I received my copy of the rules in the post yesterday, the day after I ordered them. Great service!

I like them a lot, great presentation and the rules look really interesting. I can't wait for the background book.

If there's anyone in Hampshire (UK) or maybe close to Dark Sphere in London who fancies a game give me a shout.

I'm afraid I know very little about British gear etc. in this period, although the notes in the book are very useful. 28mm is my preferred scale, are there any plastic kits that could be used as a base for conversions? WW2 bolt action perhaps with head and weapon swaps and some GS pouches?

Any 28mm SLR's that anyone knows about? I found these but hard to tell quality http://www.shapeways.com/product/2JMJV32RW/28mm-fn-fal-rifles-10

Cheers
Pete

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 06:33:03 PM »
TAG do SLR's and Sterlings: http://www.theassaultgroup.co.uk/index.php?p=82

I even believe they do GPMGs in the 'Modern British' equipment bit.

WWII Brits won't really work for British regulars, but as I recall from back then there was loads of '37 webbing and Battledress knocking around the Army and Navy stores, although why anyone would choose to wear it is beyond me. Airborne smocks were plentiful there too.

If I had to kit myself out at the time, I would have headed straight for the racks with the Bundeswehr moleskin stuff... which of course doesn't help you at all. Actually there were that many people walking about in it back then, I imagine the German flag arm flash would have become a de facto field sign.