Forum > Weird Wars

1946 German Kätzchen (Kitten) APC

<< < (2/6) > >>

Plynkes:
Lovely.

I notice this is posted in Weird War II. Was this a real vehicle? A prototype? One of those many pipe-dreams that never got built, or is it imaginary? It's a very nice looking piece of kit, whichever one of those is true. A little reminiscent of the pre-war craze for tankettes, and things of that nature.

Westfalia Chris:

--- Quote from: Plynkes on December 14, 2008, 02:20:26 PM ---Lovely.

I notice this is posted in Weird War II. Was this a real vehicle? A prototype? One of those many pipe-dreams that never got built, or is it imaginary? It's a very nice looking piece of kit, whichever one of those is true. A little reminiscent of the pre-war craze for tankettes, and things of that nature.

--- End quote ---

It was a design for a "1.5th-generation" APC, presumably to replace the Hanomags for greater tactical mobility (as a fulltrack; since the Hanomag didn´t have a powered front axle and steering with the tracks was difficult if not impossible, the 251 and 250 were hampered in that respect). For ease of production, it is assumed that existing components were to be used. I know of a photograph of the Auto-Union prototype that used Panther roadwheels and drive, but presumably the Skoda variant would have been used, since the Hetzer parts were cheaper to produce.

Since it still was open-topped, you cannot call it a "second-generation" vehicle like the M113 and similar, but it was far more modern than the halftracks then in use. From what I know, though, it never made it past prototype or mock-up stage.

Agis:

--- Quote from: Westfalia Chris on December 14, 2008, 01:07:38 PM ---Lovely. If only someone made this piece of kit (or the Auto Union variant) for 28mm (1/56th)... I´d want at least a platoon´s, if not a company´s worth for my Weird War Fallschirmjägers.

Excellent work on the Uhu/Biwa. Gloss varnish or did you use a real lens?

--- End quote ---

Uhu/Bildwandler - I just use a small drop of 2 part epoxy glue after varnishing the model.

Agis:

--- Quote from: Westfalia Chris on December 14, 2008, 03:29:38 PM ---
--- Quote from: Plynkes on December 14, 2008, 02:20:26 PM ---Lovely.

--- End quote ---

It was a design for a "1.5th-generation" APC, presumably to replace the Hanomags for greater tactical mobility (as a fulltrack; since the Hanomag didn´t have a powered front axle and steering with the tracks was difficult if not impossible, the 251 and 250 were hampered in that respect). For ease of production, it is assumed that existing components were to be used. I know of a photograph of the Auto-Union prototype that used Panther roadwheels and drive, but presumably the Skoda variant would have been used, since the Hetzer parts were cheaper to produce.

Since it still was open-topped, you cannot call it a "second-generation" vehicle like the M113 and similar, but it was far more modern than the halftracks then in use. From what I know, though, it never made it past prototype or mock-up stage.

--- End quote ---

Better said then I could!   ;)
Thanks!

Captaingeneral:
Nice 'alternative' vehicle, and boy what a paint job!! :o

Very inspirational.

Thanks for sharing. :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version