Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:32:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691073
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: I just got some Frigians from Battle Valor Games  (Read 2564 times)

Offline sean_68333

• Scientist
    • Sean's Gaming and Shooting Blog
I just got some Frigians from Battle Valor Games
« on: February 23, 2016, 03:52:21 PM »
I just received an order from Battle Valor Games.  In this order I got a pack of Frigian Axemen and a pack of Frigian Bowmen.  These are 15mm metal minis and I think they look pretty nice.

The line is for a fantasy setting, but I think these guys would work for some Dark Age/Ancient games.

Champion model

Frigian axeman next to a Viking model I already had (unknown manufacturer)

Frigian Bowman

I look forward to painting these and getting some additional models as their line of models expands.

More pictures on my blog.  http://gamingandshooting.blogspot.com/2016/02/frigians-from-battle-valor-games.html
The winning player isn't always the better player.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
Re: I just got some Frigians from Battle Valor Games
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 04:08:21 PM »
 They do look like nice miniatures.

Thanks for posting.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 08:25:32 AM »
They do look very nice, but I think the packs are far too big to ever buy any and then there's the problem of them being US based and horrendous import taxes here in Denmark to make it ever worth my while :/

Offline sean_68333

• Scientist
    • Sean's Gaming and Shooting Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 02:32:26 PM »
They do look very nice, but I think the packs are far too big to ever buy any and then there's the problem of them being US based and horrendous import taxes here in Denmark to make it ever worth my while :/

They are now offering half packs.  That doesn't help with the import taxes, but it does help with the number of models per pack.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 03:20:25 PM »
What is the trip point for duty? I think it is £30 in the UK.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 05:31:43 PM »
In the UK the problem is usually VAT, which I think is currently triggered at £18. Its not so much the 20% VAT, but the £8 handling fee charged on top, that is really painful on small orders.

It doesn't always get charged, particularly on smaller parcels - but it seems a total lottery if you get hit or not.

Offline throwsFireball

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 06:11:58 PM »
In the UK the problem is usually VAT, which I think is currently triggered at £18. Its not so much the 20% VAT, but the £8 handling fee charged on top, that is really painful on small orders.

It doesn't always get charged, particularly on smaller parcels - but it seems a total lottery if you get hit or not.

I always ask that they don't put a receipt inside. Helps a huge amount of the time. If they pop it open, they'll see like 20 little mister soldiers and have to spend hours trying to find what they are. They just shove them back inside the box and give up. lol

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 06:42:01 PM »
In denmark its triggered at something like £5, before you have to pay VAT, but the real killer is the £16 handling charge the post office takes just to pay the VAT. The few times ive ordered from tbe US thats been more than I gave for the miniatures in the pack.

Nice minis, but Ill have to find an EU based supplier of they are doing half sized packs.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 11:57:44 PM »

I think you will find it is as low as £15 in the UK. However, you might get away with more. I think it is a notional threshold, they might not bother close to the threshold because determining the exact value isn't worth the effort.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 08:43:12 AM »
There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. My Wargods order was massive and escaped unscathed.
Maybe we could organise a combined order in each country. Split the fee and costs?

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 12:06:05 PM »
Ive just been on their site. There is a 10% discount if you register at the moment. Also they are offering 50% off the international postage.

Offline Stéphane

• Scientist
    • Les Vicissitudes ludiques (text in french, pictures in color)
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 08:59:25 AM »
In denmark its triggered at something like £5, before you have to pay VAT, but the real killer is the £16 handling charge the post office takes just to pay the VAT. The few times ive ordered from tbe US thats been more than I gave for the miniatures in the pack.

Nice minis, but Ill have to find an EU based supplier of they are doing half sized packs.

In France we've got the same problem but only UPS use the charge office. Generaly I just pay VAT and I ask the buyer if it use UPS like carrier. If it is the case, I don't make an order.

These mini look great and I'm always happy whem more 15mm fantasy miniatures are available :D But these packs are too big for me. :(
Les Vicissitudes Ludiques (french text, but colored picutres)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 09:19:03 AM »
If its any help I strongly believe that the Viking model is by Miniature Figurines. Based in the UK
http://www.miniaturefigurines.co.uk/Home.aspx
They have an extensive Dark Ages and Medieval 15mm catalogue marketing Minifigs, Matchlock Miniatures, and Two Dragons. I'm sure if you browse their catalogues and contact them you will be able to find some excellent historical proxies/companions for your fantasy figures.
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains