Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:53:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691057
  • Total Topics: 118367
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Using plastic celts for fantasy project... do-able?  (Read 5182 times)

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
Using plastic celts for fantasy project... do-able?
« on: December 14, 2008, 04:45:36 PM »
Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you had personal experience with the new plastic Celts by Warlord, or if any of you have any inside knowledge on the yet to be released Wargames Factory Celts.  I know that both profess to be 28mm, and I was wondering if they were or not.  I was contemplating using one or the other to represent Chaos Marauders for a Warhammer Fantasy army in the new year.  I hate the current Marauder models from GW, and I sure as hell like the Warlord and WF prices better.  Just wanted to be sure that they would generally fit in with other GW human models  scale-wise.

Thanks for the input,
JET

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
Re: Using plastic celts for fantasy project... do-able?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 06:47:29 PM »
The celts from warlord games can be used, however they might look a bit on the small side... (or maybe just more realistic  ;))

I'll try to make some scale pictures when I'm home.

Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 06:55:03 PM »
Why not? Their diminutive size would just be proof for the despicable effects of Chaos. Burn, heretics, burn. ;) I guess by adding scars and evil tattoos you could suitably warhammerfy them.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 06:57:05 PM »
Funny,

I thought about using them for Post Apocalypse cannibal wild men.. just adding a few wires and tech stuff.

I'd really like to see some comparisons.

My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 06:58:32 PM »
I have a couple of Celt armies I use for fantasy games so I can see no reason why not. And if you will excuse the blatant pimping
I still have a bunch of these fantasy Celts which I would let you have for a similar price to the plastics if they are any use
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 10:17:38 PM »
I got a chance to see some of the Warlord Celts live on the sprue recently, and while they are nice enough figures, to my eye they looked far too small for Warhammer (almost more like Zvezda 1:72 figures). For my taste they would not make a good match on the tabletop with current era Citadel miniatures. They might work in conjunction with the current Citadel LOTR range (which is smaller than Citadel's "heroic 28mm" size).

While they had good detail, I was also a little disappointed in the limited variety of poses/modeling options.
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 11:08:57 PM »
Here are some pictures. The camera was practically out of juice, so was a bit rushed taking the pictures. hope they still show enogh though.

First shot, some Em4/grenadier copplestone future warriors next to a celt. (I was indeed also planning to turn some of them into savages)

Next, two views of the celts next to a marauder unit. I put the celts upon a chariot base, so if you don't remove their plastic footing, they will be at this height. So a bit on the small side, but still useable.

Just as Heldrak, I was also somewhat disappointed in the limited variety of poses/modeling options. As single models some of them even looked posed really strange. If you put them together as a bog mob though they do look great.

I hope the Wargames Factory ones will be have the arms loose from the bodies, that would make converting quite a bit easier,

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 08:53:17 AM »
Hmm. Looks like their small size may be even better for me than I thought - it is because of malnutrition!

I'll buy a pack! Whenever! :-*

And dare I say - those are some kinky marauders! Haha!  :D

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 10:05:12 AM »
Nice marauders! Especially the guy with a flail and a strange face in the first photo  8)

I would use those celts at any time - if you put them on top of tha slottas without removing the integral bases, and then 'hide' the integral base with some filler, no-one will notice that they are slightly smaller.

If I were to use them for skimish games, I'd just base them on slightly smaller washers than 25 mm - it makes the minis visually appear bigger  ;)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 10:10:04 AM »
Braxandur,

I notice you went with a Tzeentch army.  I've never seen blue Marauders, but yours look really good.  Thanks for the pics - they really help the decision-making.  As has been said, base them (with their integral bases) on a regular GW base, and they will play the part, especially since the only thing they would be compared with would be Chaos Warriors.

Does anyone know how large/small the Wargames Factory Romans are by comparison?  I'm assuming that their Celts will be roughly the same size.

Thanks again for the input ,
JET

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 10:24:44 AM »
Braxandur,

I notice you went with a Tzeentch army.  I've never seen blue Marauders, but yours look really good.  Thanks for the pics - they really help the decision-making.  As has been said, base them (with their integral bases) on a regular GW base, and they will play the part, especially since the only thing they would be compared with would be Chaos Warriors.

Does anyone know how large/small the Wargames Factory Romans are by comparison?  I'm assuming that their Celts will be roughly the same size.

Thanks again for the input ,
JET

Not sure, I know the Warlord games ones (Imperials to go with these) are smaller

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 10:28:12 AM »

I'll see if I remember to measure one when I get home this evening...

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 10:53:39 AM »
well, I do have both of those at home as well :D

Will try to take some more pictures tonight (though we do have drinks at work today, so they might not turn out that well :P)

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 12:21:38 PM »
btw, thanks for the nice comments on the blue marauders. I nicely planned to paint a unit for each of the four gods. Couldn't take the marks anyhow, so was purely for the looks...

However under the new rules these marks can be bought so I have to paint some more units of the sort I'd like to have.. :S

Hopefully I'll get some better pictures next to the the wargames Factory :)

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 01:55:25 AM »
Well, I've pondered the pictures over the course of a couple of sittings.  I've come to the conclusion that the size differences are not worth considering.  Considering that the only other humanoids in the army are Chaos Warriors, which should really tower over Marauders anyway, it's actually kind of a good way to go.  I realize there may be some size discrepancies with some of my opponent's armies (dark elves, high elves, skaven), but I doubt it would be enough to draw much attention.

I'm still curious as to how large/small WF celts will be when released.  Their plastic warriors/horsemen/chariots would provide a very economical means to flesh out the marauder arm of a chaos force.