Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:02:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686661
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bloody hard-fought game of Shoot N' Skedaddle...  (Read 3376 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Bloody hard-fought game of Shoot N' Skedaddle...
« on: February 24, 2016, 04:36:28 AM »
So I've been running 2nd edition of Shoot N' Skedaddle at my local gaming store (oddly enough called Your Local Gaming Store).

Not big crowds showing up, but a couple of people each time.  I ran a game tonight against my buddy Fleetwood.

Here's the table before the game kicked off.  I forgot to take other pictures so luckily my buddy did...

The scenario was seemingly simple.

Outlaws: Six characters deploy...with six more in reserve.  The goal was to exit the Lawmen's table edge.  There was a river with two natural crossings and one bridge.  A character that dies or exits the board is replaced by a reserve character.  The Outlaws win if six characters exit the board.

Lawmen: Six characters deployed...with three in reserve (arriving on Event cards). Their goal was simple: prevent Outlaws from scoring.

The game kicked off...and became the closest most crazy wild game of SnS I've ever played.  The Outlaw Event cards would trigger monsoon waters in the river - each subsequent card would raise or lower the rushing water, cutting off the natural crosses.  I advanced across the board as fast as I could, but halfway through the waters rose and I ended up heading to the bridge.  This is where most of the violence occurred.

As my characters score I place them on the hilltop to keep track...

Two of Fleetwoods reserves never showed up - thank goodness.

I initially crossed one character at the river crossing before the ride rose...he met a bad end along with a Lawmen.

The bridge became a huge furball when the tide rose and it became the only route across the river.

As my characters die they're replaced by my flood of character cards!

The dice represent a secret tunnel I unearthed shortly after the river rose...this gave me a quick escape route and Fleetwood moved to cut it off.

The exit of the tunnel became an absolute nightmare of gunfights and shock tests

The violence increased at the far end of the bridge as I opted for a "run while I can" strategy hoping to literally run past most of his Lawmen.

It got worse for both sides.

So close to the edge!

The 'Bad Man' was the last to run across the bridge.

The 'Bad Man' fails a Guts test and is distracted by the hugely effective Soiled Dove (who managed to run around and shock people maybe a dozen times, hindering the Outlaws fleeing)

The bridge shortly before the end of the game.

Overall it was nail biting and I stole a victory at the very tail end.  There was some fist fights, a couple of shoot-outs, even a gunfight inside the tunnels...people flying off horses, Town Persons making amazing impossible gunshots, and nonstop hilarity.  It was an absolute blast.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Bloody hard-fought game of Shoot N' Skedaddle...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 08:29:31 AM »
Sounds excellent looks splendid too.
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Treebeard

• Mad Scientist
  • Lazy French Painter
    • Painting Log
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 10:47:21 AM »
Great Show !

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 11:42:41 AM »
Great stuff ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 04:28:17 PM »
Thanks guys, it was...a riotous good time.  The scenario worked a treat and will be put into the rulebook for sure.  It was a game which revealed how the rules can really promote some weird/cool stuff.

Some examples of silliness:

-Needing to exit the board, as the Outlaw I drew the Bushwacker...he was able to deploy anywhere on the board.  I deployed him an inch from Fleetwood's table edge.  Sadly he was gunned down before he activated.

-I drew an "add a Town Person to your gang!" card...while the Bushwacker was alive, so I was able to place a second character an inch from the table edge (the new character appears within 6" of a character on the board)

-I was able to set a building on fire, forcing Fleetwood's Judge to flee before burning to death

-The tunnel added an entirely new way across the river which scrambled Fleetwood's plans.

-Fleetwood drew the Business Tycoon which allowed him an extra Hired Gun (they both, thankfully never showed up) so he had a bolstered force.

-Fleetwood barred me from the building nearest the bridge, denying me cover.

-The Soiled Dove was hugely effective, following my damn Outlaws around, shocking them a heapload of times.

-Fleetwood made some amazing rolls (wounded Town People hitting on boxcars and slaying my guys, etc.)

-In the end it came down to me with five models off the board, and two in play...where Fleetwood had two as well.  His Soiled Dove was on horseback galloping around trying to Shock them both to keep them from moving as his wounded Town Person fired in vain at them.  I pulled an activation card and was able to run my last Hired Gun (who had been wounded twice...and healed twice, and Shocked no less than five times by the Whore! who followed him the whole damn game...) off the board.

It was just a perfect game.  It went back and forth with the advantage changing almost every two minutes.  "I'm gonna lose...oh wait!" ...."Nope, now I'm gonna lose again...".

There are a lot of laughs and a lot of shouting, cursing, and some terrible dice rolls (the 'Bad Man' failing his Shock test on a D20 rolling a damned 4!).

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 09:18:02 AM »
Excellent stuff
Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 09:32:07 AM »
Great stuff!
 8)

And it looks damn fine too.
 :-*

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 09:41:09 AM »
That looks great Elbows  :-*. Quite a game. Great.

I have some questions. I am eyeballing the Deepcut gaming mats. Is that the Steppe one in the pictures? Is it the mousepad one? and if yes does it also roll up nicely? Do you also own a PVC one and if yes what are the mayor differences between them.
Sorry for all the questions but they are a bit hefty in price so... extra input is welcome.

I am thinking buying the badlands one myself for my OW town. I am not sure though it seems a bit dark. The one you are using is also very nice.

Cheers

Za

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 04:49:53 PM »
Yep, Deep Cut.

I have the Badlands one - don't do it. The scale is wrong and the cracked earth doesn't fit that well.  I'll see if I can take some pictures - it just doesn't really work that well.  I'll probably end up selling it off.  The Steppe is the one featured and it's wonderful.  It is the neoprene one, I don't have any of the PVC/felt ones.

They roll up okay but they're heavy as heck.  I've been using my old broom-stick method (buy some spare broom sticks at the shop and roll the mats around them).

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 05:11:09 PM »
Thanks Elbows, that helps a lot. One last question... does it slide on the table or is it rough enough and stays put.

Cheers,

Za

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 05:56:26 PM »
Oh, negative Ghost Rider.  No slippage...the back is rubberized on the neoprene versions.  It also weighs 7-8 lbs. for the mat, so it doesn't move at all.

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 06:16:43 PM »
 :D Hoping for that Answer. Steppe it will be then.