Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:34:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Latest project: Rebel Minis 15mm alien Brog infantry  (Read 3685 times)

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Latest project: Rebel Minis 15mm alien Brog infantry
« on: February 24, 2016, 09:08:15 PM »
Some 15mm metals from Rebel Minis, with a really nice variety of poses and weapons.  Not a repeat in the lot aside from the two mortar teams.  Paint scheme vaguely inspired by some fiery orange salamander image I saw.

And a back view.  Are the glowy green things force field generators?  Grav packs?  Pressurized gas canisters feeding into those suits where their gills are hidden?

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
Re: Latest project: Rebel Minis 15mm alien Brog infantry
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 10:41:48 PM »
Some 15mm metals from Rebel Minis, with a really nice variety of poses and weapons.  Not a repeat in the lot aside from the two mortar teams.  Paint scheme vaguely inspired by some fiery orange salamander image I saw.

And a back view.  Are the glowy green things force field generators?  Grav packs?  Pressurized gas canisters feeding into those suits where their gills are hidden?

They have painted up nicely. I did some Manths in a similar red scheme last year. Might have to get some more from Rebel Minis.

Offline Shaved Dwarf

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 04:30:54 PM »
Nice. I like them.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 04:55:51 PM »
Thanks.  They were fun to paint.  Been doing mostly 28mm lately and shifting to 15mm for a project or two was a nice change of pace.  Much less demanding in terms of fine detail on the sculpts.

Think the Manths were sculpted by the same guy as the Brogs.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 12:09:35 PM »
Nice models indeed! What buggers me more of Rebel Minis is that they have some remarkable sets and some very mediocre ones, and from their blurry photos it's hard to tell the difference! :( Got a packet last week, some awesomeness and some stuff that won't ever see the brush!

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 03:56:10 PM »
Nice models indeed! What buggers me more of Rebel Minis is that they have some remarkable sets and some very mediocre ones, and from their blurry photos it's hard to tell the difference! :( Got a packet last week, some awesomeness and some stuff that won't ever see the brush!

I agree, but now I'm very curious which one are which in your opinion?
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 04:04:53 PM »
I agree, but now I'm very curious which one are which in your opinion?

I've got their shayadeen and various gasmask ones, sculpts are very approximative. The new pangalactic legion and sons of thunder are instead very cool!
As for mechs, i've got one viper mech, resin and finish are sandy and not sharp at all, where the sand wurm (considering is as a big guy - mech) is beautiful!

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 04:14:24 PM »
I've got their shayadeen and various gasmask ones, sculpts are very approximative. The new pangalactic legion and sons of thunder are instead very cool!
As for mechs, i've got one viper mech, resin and finish are sandy and not sharp at all, where the sand wurm (considering is as a big guy - mech) is beautiful!

I found the shahadeen decent enough, but far from the best 15mm stuff I have seen. The viper mechs, man I'm glad I'm using them in a survivor/post pock styled group cause that finish is horirible indeed. I noticed mine had some smooth surfaces on the the "cheecks" The entire models look like prints from my 3d machine if I have gunk or dust on the mirrors.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 04:30:27 PM »

Funny you should mention Sons of Thunder:

Love those chunky little guys.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 04:39:07 PM »
I like your use of strong colour choices on the miniatures, even at 15mm at a distance there is no doubt what group they belong to!

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 04:48:52 PM »
Love those chunky little guys.

They really are sweet, so bad for the limited number of poses.
I'm painting mine firemen-orange, they really look sweet in those shiny suits!

BTW, any chance you're selling some 15mm painted? I've got a friend that is always hungry of those... :D

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 05:00:45 PM »
They really are sweet, so bad for the limited number of poses.
I'm painting mine firemen-orange, they really look sweet in those shiny suits!

BTW, any chance you're selling some 15mm painted? I've got a friend that is always hungry of those... :D

You could point your friend over here:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=87755.0

The SoT figs have a decent array of sculpts, although not as varied as the Brog.  Four different "grunts" with bolters, three different heavy wepons, and a couple of different close-combat oriented leader types.  Admittedly thin compared to (say) Ion Age's amazing "no duplicates" sets but still not bad.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 05:07:01 PM by Hobby Services »

Offline johnl5555

• Librarian
    • Wargamer Printing
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 07:54:47 PM »
  I bought a bunch of the Brog. However, I wish they had a description saying how tall the figs actually are. They are nice. But they are not 15-18mm tall. More like 10-12mm figs. I have noticed that some of the later releases have been getting smaller in size.

Thanks,

John
Owner JS Wargamer Printing. 3D printing miniatures, buildings and terrain.
https://wargamerprinting.com/

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 04:21:59 PM »
Well,  aliens do not have to be human sized.

Comparison pictures are not the company's responsibility IMO though.
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 09:42:17 PM »
  I bought a bunch of the Brog. However, I wish they had a description saying how tall the figs actually are. They are nice. But they are not 15-18mm tall. More like 10-12mm figs. I have noticed that some of the later releases have been getting smaller in size.

Thanks,

John

I think you're off a bit there.  The Sons of Thunder figs stand about 10mm to the eye (and are labeled as such on the Rebel site) and as you can see from the photos on this thread, the Brog are considerably taller.  Both lots are based on US pennies, so size comparison's pretty easy despite the photos not being side-by-side.