Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:58:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Helen's Palestine Demo Game  (Read 5143 times)

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Helen's Palestine Demo Game
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 02:37:03 PM »
Helen

Awesome!

Will you wargame Gallipoli in 1:1 basis?
argsilverson

Offline pcohn

• Assistant
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 02:57:18 PM »
Helen,
Very Impressive!  :o

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
  • All your dice are belong to us
    • Prince Azalea's World of Wonders
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 03:39:24 PM »
That is just stunning!

Offline harmonkeys

• Assistant
  • aka Scott Pasha
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2008, 03:56:33 PM »
Looks fun, Helen! I can't believe the size of the game... what rules were you using? This weekend I ran a Palestine game too! More like 200 figures though!(and I thought that was impressive... until now)
keep up the very good work
Scott Pasha

Offline TadPortly

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.oxfordhousehold.co.uk/
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2008, 05:12:32 PM »
Staggering as usual Helen  :-* - I am green with envy.
They were all drawn to the Keep; the soldiers who brought death; the father and daughter fighting for life; the people who have always feared it; and the one man who knows its secret....

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2008, 10:05:14 PM »
Hi Everyone,

First of all my many thanks to you all for your lovely comments. I always take great joy in seeing our true love for the hobby being shared with all around the world. I only wish that I'd taken more photos throughout the day, but, alas that was not to be. I'm taking this moment to play U-Tube Christmas music as I compose my reply to all the lovely comments.

I've taken notes for all the questions so I'll try an answer as best I can.

The rules we used were the Sword in the Flame variant with additions from Lawrence in Arabia supplement and CLB too. Drew cut and pasted to make this quick set of rules, but I felt there were a few things missing that were left out of the cut and pasting. More time we will have to develop this rule set to encompass all theatres for WW1 away from the Western Front. We intend to have a WW1 game every quarter next year.

Units consisted of 20 figure platoons or 12 mounted cavalry/mounted infantry or 12 dismounted infantry. These units consist of 1 officer, 2 sncos, 1 lmg/autorifle and loader, bomber and the remainder riflemen. For the dismounted infantry, ANZAC in nature their Squadron HQ is equipped with a lmg/autorifle. The light patrol cars (2) dismounted with two figures with lmg/autorifle and loader. The tender/command car (1) had the addition of an officer.

These platoons/troops were then organised into companies/squadrons. 2 platoons for the former and 3 troops for the latter. For every two platoons there is a company HQ consisting of 2 officers, 1 OC and one 2 IC. Depending on figure availability you would have a medic representing the company aid post and in some cases a CSM (who may hold reserve ammo counters). Cavalry squadrons have the same numbers of figures less the medic but with the addition of the lmg/auto rifle and loader.

2 companies form a battalion with the additions of Bn CO and 2 IC. Also you would have a Bn aid post an RSM with supply chit for ammo. 2 squadrons form a regiment and same as above with command.

You then can makeup the command size to incorporate regiment, brigade and division with the necessary adjustments in logistics and support arms. For example; Brigade MG units and trench mortar units.

Artillery assign as directed by the commander for the side. Batteries can stay together or be sub divided into sections and parceled out.

One thing I did want was to incorporate for both sides on the day in question was in relation to the amount of ammunition provided. Given the scenario of extended supply lines for the Allies and the Central powers logistical nightmare as this point of the conflict I reduced the ammo as follows:
Artillery batteries rolled 1D6 for HE and Shrap. Parceled out to subsections as required. Ammo counter (represented by mule, donkey etc) if hit would reduced that battery/subsection by half.

MG/infantry weapons six turns/rounds only. That is, if you had only used the lmg in your platoon that turn during the firing phase and not fired your rifles than it's assume all the platoon fired and so the platoon would be reduced by one ammo. Careful consideration had to be applied by the gamer in ensuring that he wasn't wasting needless ammo and using all his available weapons. Otherwise, he would be reduced to cold steel all the way very early in the game!

If you were to hold small arms counters at Company/battalion etc with the CSM/RSM and if they are taken out of the game then it's assume that the reserve ammo is gone too.

Ships and armoured vehicles/light patrol cars ammo allocation are diced as the umpire see fit. This is to ensure fairness in the overall game and not having them dominate the game.

Medics have their importance in ensuring wounded figures are transfered back to a field hospital in the rear. How this small, but important feature works in that the medic in his movement phase moves up within his movement range and touches all wounded bases and so they automatic reappear back at the field hospital (or aid post). This seemsless transfer works on the assumption that stretcher bearers etc are doing their task. This ensures:
A. that victory points aren't awarded to the otherside if captured;
B. morale is left intact for the remainder of the unit; and
C. not butchered by irregualars causing further grief for morale purposes. This applies in cases like irregular arabs (all types), natives etc.

Medics can become casualties through indirect fire, bombs etc, but aren't normal targets for shooting priorities.

Two umpires were needed for this game. There were three folks on either side at one point and this could have increase had all of the gamers turned up. We also needed a third person to handle the ammo counters and other logistics as this can be full-time depending on the flow of the game. It makes commanders and sub commanders having to think and ask for their share of movement and shooting when things were becoming hot for them.

Need to have two deck of cards to run the game more smoothly as one deck of cards inhibited the flow of the game. This deck of cards (normal playing cards) provides the initiative and shooting casualties. It can also be a events deck for some things like aircraft and U-boats appearing. The joker cards stops that turn depending on when it appears. It also has other responses happening depending on the scenario. We would like to think that when folks have a keen interest in a particular campaign, theatre etc that they can make up events cards that provide a feel for the period. They can be humored and give a good atmosphere for the game.

We also needed to have unit ID and action counters for each unit. That is for the latter when the unit has had its turn that counter is removed. When you have so many units on the table it's easy to forget which ones moved or shot during the turn.

The game when on for over six hours. The table was 18' by 6'. I was hoping for 21'.

There was a resolution after the sixth turn as the front lines were crumbling and the allies were pouring in on both sides,however, all things being equal it could have been different even in a turn or two depending on who had the initiative.

We really needed to have the game setup the night before and this didn't happen. The table weren't organised when I got there with Drew. So there was a delay there too. Setting up took about two hours plus. Then the gamers had to be briefed and shown how the unit structure worked. As I said to the guys, this really was an introduction and I wasn't worried about all the limitation that had fallen upon us before the game started. This we can work on for the next game.

This really was a fun game with many a miss opportunity for both sides. Failed dice rolling for getting off charges, rolling loads of dice to score no hits really brought home the true feel for the period. Failed comms from the FO party to the arty battery also was another as was higher HQs trying to contact their subordinates through the seemless radio comms. Welcome to the Twentieth century. 8)

Lastly, I've been working on this project for many years and now that I can reasonably paint and also with more companies producing some lovely miniature figurines for the period I'll be continuning to add to my collection.

For Rudi, I was the Austrian FO officer who met an untimely departure due to the MKIV. :o

Thanks again for your lovely comments and Merry Christmas to all.

Helen

« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 10:43:25 PM by Helen Bachaus »
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2008, 10:15:18 PM »
Must buy more figures ..must buy mo...

Seriously, came in late from work today but this really made my day.
Superb Helen!
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Geudens

• Mastermind
  • 39th generation heir of Charles Martel (no joke!)
    • http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2008, 11:02:39 AM »
Seriously, came in late from work today but this really made my day.

Damn, I didn't know!...  lol

Rudi
do visit my websites & photobucket:
http://www.rudi-geudens.be/
http://www.tsoa.be/
http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm262/geudens_photos/

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2008, 01:27:39 AM »
Cracking stuff Helen! I'm somewhat overawed. You should bung something out to the the ACT tourist board (presuming they have one) Could be on the list of things to do along with the AWM and a lot more intersting than Questacon or watching Hospitals explode ( safer too I suppose)  ;)
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo