Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:38:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686605
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: HUNS!!!  (Read 1856 times)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
HUNS!!!
« on: March 05, 2016, 09:55:53 AM »
Very new to dark age warfare in general and Lion Rampant in particular. I would he very grateful if some of the more knowledgeable Brethren could give me some pointers. I'm forming a Hunnic Warband using Dan Mersey's article in WI as a guide...

3 riders @ 12 points
1 mounted companions (subject nobles) @ 4 points
2 Warriors (subject foot) 8 points

What I'd like to know is how you'd work in a few upgrades, not too bothered how many points it would add, as t'other side would get the same? Even I know that some of these buggers should be fierce as even the Romans got nobbled by 'em! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

:o
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 10:11:00 AM by Harry Faversham »
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
Re: HUNS!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 11:13:41 AM »
For light cavalry armies the secret is not ferocity, it's manoeuvrability. You don't have to be able to bend iron bars with your teeth if you're good at surrounding the enemy.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 01:29:05 PM »
Very new to dark age warfare in general and Lion Rampant in particular. I would he very grateful if some of the more knowledgeable Brethren could give me some pointers. I'm forming a Hunnic Warband using Dan Mersey's article in WI as a guide...

3 riders @ 12 points
1 mounted companions (subject nobles) @ 4 points
2 Warriors (subject foot) 8 points

What I'd like to know is how you'd work in a few upgrades, not too bothered how many points it would add, as t'other side would get the same? Even I know that some of these buggers should be fierce as even the Romans got nobbled by 'em! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

:o

Make sure the riders get bows for a start. Then allow them to 'evade' when charged (7+ to activate, they fire with half models then move 1/2 move) If they don't manage to evade, there is a penalty, but I can't recall what it is and the rules aren't to hand...I think they may become armour 1 in melee or something hideous!! You could give all bow armed cavalry the 'skirmish' option which is the same as the shooty part of 'evade' noted above. In Dragon Rampant there's the 'fear' rule which adds +1 to a 'batter' test in melee with the 'feared' unit. Can't recall what it costs - either +1 or +2 per unit. Perhaps good for the companions... The subject infantry could be 'warriors' rather than spearmen ('bellicose foot' in dragon rampant) as that makes them whup-ass on the charge but rubbish in defence. Not sure how historical that is but it forces you to be aggressive with them, which might be interesting, esp if the archery has 'battered' the opposition!

To be honest we are using Dragon Rampant for our Late Roman/Arthurian games with Dan's rules as we feel the troop types and options are better suited to it...

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 02:40:30 PM »
:) Thanks chaps, much appreciated.  :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 05:12:03 PM »
Make sure the riders get bows for a start. Then allow them to 'evade' when charged (7+ to activate, they fire with half models then move 1/2 move)

I think I'd be tempted to give true Horse Archer types Evade on a 6+ as I think this is a fair reflection of their historical role on the battlefield and not pushing things too much. Heavier Horse Archers (Perhaps Nobles?) I'd leave at 7+.

To be honest we are using Dragon Rampant for our Late Roman/Arthurian games with Dan's rules as we feel the troop types and options are better suited to it...

I've got to agree with Andy- they work very well for Early Medieval and Sub Roman games. Used them many a time for both Late Med and Early Med and the rules have worked well in both cases. Some might argue that I'm effectively still using an Early Med. type army as I'm doing Islemen, who for the time being are sadly lacking in allies  :)

Darrell.