Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:10:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hardback or softback  (Read 2736 times)

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
Re: Hardback or softback
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2016, 07:32:05 PM »
I sort of agree. I'm not sure it should be free, because you are potentially getting two products but a once usable discount code would be good. Say, 50%? I do appreciate being able to have both. Using a tablet can be an arse at times but it does save you the hassle of having to carry several rule books around with you at once. Especially if you are intending to just read hem on a commute etc.
Posted on: Today at 04:40:47 PM Posted by: gary42

Actually, Osprey does do something like that. If you buy a book and an ebook at the same time, they give you 25% off both.

Offline Ravendas

• Assistant
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 01:53:27 PM »
Here's an annoying little story.

Took my (purchased) pdf copy of this game to the local Staples, which is an office supply chain here in the US where they have printing services. I pass the guy my USB stick, tell him where the file is. He opens it up, furrows his brows and looks through it.

"Sorry, I can't print this for you. It's for personal use only."
"Er, yeah. I purchased the pdf just so I could have a copy printed for myself."
"Right, but we can't print things for personal use. We would be making a profit, breaking the copyright."
*what*

So, I had to go home and print it on my own black and white laser printer, which actually was just about as decent as they would have done it, without forking over $$$.

Offline Jennifer

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2016, 06:15:47 AM »
I just noticed the rules were in paperback on Amazon.  I looked for hardback version but couldn't find it.  I really love the look and feel of the first Frostgrave hardback book.  I like the hardback because AD&D 1.0 came in hardback and so does 5.0 and the cover doesn't damaged/frayed as easily.  I also like that the book is a little smaller than the D&D  hardbacks.. easier to read in bed.

Looking forward to future prints of these expansions to be in hardback.  Hopefully by the time I get to the expansion they will offer hardback.  I really dislike paperback for game rules.

The way this game is catching on (I constantly see newcomers all the time now), it seems like there shouldn't be a problem with hardback being available?  I mean I'd pay $5-10 more for a hardback no question.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 06:17:25 AM by Jennifer »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2016, 06:18:36 AM »
Jennifer, if you're in the states, I'll sell you my hard-copy.  Used once and has my name scribbled in the front cover.  lol
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Jennifer

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2016, 07:21:05 AM »
Jennifer, if you're in the states, I'll sell you my hard-copy.  Used once and has my name scribbled in the front cover.  lol

I have the first Frostgrave book in hardback.  Do you have Thaw of the Lich Lord in hardback?

Offline Jennifer

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2016, 07:22:57 AM »
Now that I look at it, I see Thaw of the Lich Lord is only 64 pages.. bout the size of a D&D module.  SO I guess it makes sense it is in paperback form since it is so thin.

Offline Jennifer

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2016, 07:24:58 AM »
I prefer the PDF, then printed out, hole punched and put in a binder.

This way I have both the digital file for ease of use (these things can be ctrl-f'd!) and one binder that can hold ALL subsequent rules in one item, tabbed to easily find the various sections and a bit of vigorous highlighting to quickly find the useful rules.

It's how I've done Necromunda for years, and it's worked great.

I prefer PDF and then take it to Fed Ex Office (formerly Kinkos here in the states) and have them Spiral bound it.  It makes it really nice since I can open the book and fold it back on itself. :)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2016, 09:46:52 PM »
I have the first Frostgrave book in hardback.  Do you have Thaw of the Lich Lord in hardback?

Ah, okay.  Thought you meant the rulebook.  If the Lich is 64 pages it's in the standard Osprey book format (same as Lion Rampant, and all of their other game projects).