Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:26:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691046
  • Total Topics: 118365
  • Online Today: 809
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Trading  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Xorthyx

• Schoolboy
Trading
« on: February 27, 2016, 01:49:49 AM »
So we have a 10 man group all playing Thaw of the Lich lord and it has been going great. Some of the players have mentioned that trading between players is an option but I could not find it in the book. Does anyone know where to find info on this? Also if we can trade can we trade grimoires that we do not know for other grimoires that we do not know? This makes sense to me thematically since you would only be giving up that potential knowledge for different knowledge you do not posses.

Offline Ravendas

• Assistant
Re: Trading
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 01:55:50 AM »
A quick ctrl-f of the main rulebook doesn't have anything about trading. So, it's not a rule from there.

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 02:15:40 AM »
So we have a 10 man group all playing Thaw of the Lich lord and it has been going great. Some of the players have mentioned that trading between players is an option but I could not find it in the book. Does anyone know where to find info on this? Also if we can trade can we trade grimoires that we do not know for other grimoires that we do not know? This makes sense to me thematically since you would only be giving up that potential knowledge for different knowledge you do not posses.

I would say you cannot trade a grim that you couldn't sell, but this opens the door to those with create grim to trade grims they make for spells they don't know.

Offline Mo!

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 08:20:46 AM »
Im pretty sure you can. Restriction is you cant sell grimoires from spells you have not learned.
Be mindful of the prayers you send
Pray hard but pray with care
For the tears that you are crying now
Are just your answered prayers

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 08:39:57 AM »
I think trading is an issue that each gaming group should decide for themselves. Personally, I wouldn't encourage it, but if it makes it more fun for people, you should definitely do it.

Offline Bishop Cockthrottle

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 09:47:27 AM »
Our group has discussed trading and the consensus is swops are allowed but you can't buy stuff - this makes it more a psychological process than just saving up and the swamping the market with gold. I jokingly suggested we could trade soldiers like football transfers but it is probably only worth it if they are well-equipped Captains

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 11:19:01 AM »
I definitely wouldn't allow trading of Grimoires the wizard doesn't know, not even for swapping for another he doesn't know.
Home of the ARBBL
"I survived the 525"

Offline Azzabat

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 01:52:38 PM »
I'm in two minds on this. From a game play side of things I'd say swapping items (but not selling) between players was ok, but from a Wizards point of view I'm not sure they'd do it. Mmmmm, much thought needed on this.  :?

Well done for the idea. 
I know the voices aren't real .... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

Offline Urquhart

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 02:08:33 PM »
I definitely wouldn't allow trading of Grimoires the wizard doesn't know, not even for swapping for another he doesn't know.

Well said. The wizards are seeking knowledge, selling a grimoire with a spell that the wizard doesn't know feels wrong. As like any scroll and magic objects that works with spells.

But other objects (weapons, normal items) i think it's fine.
“Youth is not made for pleasure but for heroism” - Paul Claudel
New Missions and ideas for Frostgrave topic
Felstad's incursions topic

Offline Xorthyx

• Schoolboy
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 08:12:27 PM »
Thanks for all the responses guys, seems this is a pretty open topic. The main reason that our group brought this up was the description of Fireheart Gemstone in the Thaw of the Lich Lord book. "This rare, Magical gemstone can only be obtained by playing the The House of Longreach scenario or by trading for it from a player who obtained it by those means." This leads me to believe you can trade but we couldn't find any other mention of it.

Offline Denizen Kane

• Librarian
  • French Army? What,s that?
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 12:31:15 AM »
Actually there is a mention of trading in the treasure table for the Lich Lord!
The world is changing so fast and we,re just trying to catch up...

Offline rexscarlet

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 01:26:14 PM »
No trading between players.
The strongest personality in the group will inadvertently and often unintentionally manipulate the others to his/her benefit if trading.

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 07:59:07 PM »
I think the best way to trade is to have a limited store with just basic potions and scrolls then whenever somone sells an item it goes on the list for people to buy at full price. This stops people from taking advantage of others and also helps make magic items rare.