Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:45:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686487
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warhammer ancient battles [WAB ] what to replace it with?  (Read 8623 times)

Offline Paul T

• Lurker
Re: Warhammer ancient battles [WAB ] what to replace it with?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 08:21:40 PM »
WAB is still very much a stand alone and good system, so is WAC just a different and revamped way of playing using similar basing system, both good.

Lion rampant and variants also good but significantly more simple and loads of fun.

l use the above can be used without rebasing effectively, as long as you see lion rampant as unit based rather than "skirmish", I certainly use multi figure basing rather than single figure basing, works just fine.

I am revamping my 15mm for ADLG Art de la Guerre - which uses the DBx basing system, looks really good.  I have also seen people use these rules for 28mm with the WAB /WAC basing as long as all "elements are same width again works fine.

Offline Keith T

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 10:05:27 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.

What I and many of my WAB chums are after I suppose is a new version of WAB.

The original books and army lists which were period specific eg AGE OF ARTHUR, EL CID, HANIBAL etc which came with details of all the armies that fought each other, battles, how to paint  and play with them, were great books and very helpful.
 I don't like printing out a PDF I like eye candy, does not have to be hardback but hard wearing .

WAC AND COE are not very different from WAB and I hate to admit it but the last version  WAB2 was not the best and the ARMIES OF ANTIQUITY army lists were crap. :( :(

I will give Hail Ceasar a try and others that I hear will be released later this year, one from Gripping Beast and another from a nice chap Simon Hall. :) :)
TTFN
Keith T

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 10:40:15 PM »
WaC is actually quite a bit different to WAB in some areas, but gives a very similar overall feel. I think CoE is more similar from reading through it once...

However, do try Hail Caesar. I have enjoyed it with big battles but am not sure how well it'd work at a smaller scale. You really need armies at least twice the size of your typical Age of Arthur 1500pts to really get the best out of HC in my opinion.

Offline pbjunky1

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 10:55:22 PM »
As others have said Hail Ceaser is good for handling larger games and has some mechanisms  which allow a game with around  twice the figures you use in a 2000pt WAB game (depends on army of course) to be finished in 2-3 hours. It does lack a bit of WABs character driven quality to me though which I enjoy but I know some others don't so much.
We have tried CoE & initially it looked a good set of rules with some nice additionality to WAB but after several games it became clear it was unbalanced to certain army lists (significantly so) and extermely 'anti-character' - so not really for us.
I've bought WAC  but still not had a go with it so that's the next one for us to try.
I have to say though we are still happy to use WAB at our club as we still enjoy it as a rules set.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2016, 10:23:33 AM »
If you are happy with WAB, why replace it?

Offline scarabminiatures

• Scientist
    • Scarab Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2016, 01:41:49 PM »
WaC is actually quite a bit different to WAB in some areas, but gives a very similar overall feel. .

I would agree with Andy on this point - whilst I was manager at WHW many people made suggestions would could not be applied.

So, when I came to write War & Conquest (after many requests) I took stock of all that feedback and applied what I could where it made sense.

So yes, while it may feel familiar, War & Conquest really does unfold in a completely different way and as our gaming days and weekends show - the games can get very exciting and bring about plenty of laughter and fun.. If that's what you are after, you might like to give it a try
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 02:42:32 PM by scarabminiatures »
Kind regards
Rob Broom
ScarabMiniatures
www.scarabminiatures.com
www.warandconquest.co.uk

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2016, 01:58:10 PM »
Are Gripping Beast bringing out a set of rules? I have not seen anything about this??

Offline jcspqr

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2016, 05:32:25 PM »
Are Gripping Beast bringing out a set of rules? I have not seen anything about this??

Yes.  Spearpoint.  I believe it will be on display at Salute.  Not sure when it is to be released though.

Jim

Offline Old Guy

• Bookworm
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2016, 07:54:11 AM »
I came to WAC never having played WAB but it ticked all the boxes for me, I have played Hail Caesar and WAC is in my opinion a far superior game. I agree with you on the army lists and the over use of elite troops, however the new Arthurian lists for instance are excellent and when using large armies force players to take some troops which they would rather leave behind. Rob is also very much open to suggestions and if you put your case for changes then it will happen, I have already gone through this with my Aurelian Roman army list.

The tournaments are great fun and a terrific way to spend a weekend, you can read a more in depth report on the latest weekend at Swindon here http://musingswargameslife.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/war-and-conquest-swindon-weekend-1.html there are several other reports from past tournaments as well.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2016, 09:26:11 AM »
There is a rumour of another rule set that is currently being written by a experienced rule writer aimed at mass battles that is due out later this year.

I'm afraid that even though I haven't signed a gagging order I can't really in good faith say anymore  :)

Darrell.

Offline Drunkendwarf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2016, 09:39:31 AM »
There is a rumour of another rule set that is currently being written by a experienced rule writer aimed at mass battles that is due out later this year.

I'm afraid that even though I haven't signed a gagging order I can't really in good faith say anymore  :)

Darrell.

Aimed at a period or a wide range of periods?

DJ

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2016, 05:04:40 PM »
Aimed at a period or a wide range of periods?

DJ

Wide range in so far as I know :)

Darrell.

Offline Firescale Whack

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2016, 11:29:04 PM »
I think WAB was as successful as it was because you could play it with smaller armies. All the rulesets that have tried to replace it so far, have all been geared to large battles requiring large collections such as Hail Ceasar. Hopefully the new rules by Gripping Beast won't require such a big start off cost and gaming space.

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2016, 01:52:35 PM »
I used to play WAB but moved away from gaming...what happened to this system? Was it dropped because it did not make enough money? Could it (will it) ever be revived? I also loved the Western rules-they were superb....

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2016, 03:20:46 PM »
Why replace it if it works so well for you?

Old editions of 40k and WFB are still alive and kicking, so why not start up an OldWabber movement?
 :D