Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:49:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warhammer ancient battles [WAB ] what to replace it with?  (Read 8724 times)

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
Re: Warhammer ancient battles [WAB ] what to replace it with?
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2016, 09:30:18 PM »
I think from previous posts there already exists a grassroots support for WAB, I believe there are still WAB games days which attract a reasonable level of gamers. Despite the hype , I don't really think the so called successors offered anything new or were  superior to WAB.
I remember a couple of years ago attending a WOTR themed day at Wayland Games and with minimal advertising, we really just wanted to book a couple of tables for a reunion battle between four of us, and were surprised when 10 gamers had joined us!
I actually think WAB was a very good seller unfortunately GW didn't seem interested in the product and still hold the copyright over all published and even the unpublished supplements.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2016, 09:43:55 PM »
I think from previous posts there already exists a grassroots support for WAB, I believe there are still WAB games days which attract a reasonable level of gamers. Despite the hype , I don't really think the so called successors offered anything new or were  superior to WAB.
I remember a couple of years ago attending a WOTR themed day at Wayland Games and with minimal advertising, we really just wanted to book a couple of tables for a reunion battle between four of us, and were surprised when 10 gamers had joined us!
I actually think WAB was a very good seller unfortunately GW didn't seem interested in the product and still hold the copyright over all published and even the unpublished supplements.

Yes, I heard that GW still own everything. Pity, as there are supposedly some good unpublished supplements out there. I still enjoy the game occasionally (especially with the Age of Arthur and El Cid supplements), although I do generally prefer WaC these days...

Offline n815e

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2016, 04:00:09 PM »
I think WAB was as successful as it was because you could play it with smaller armies. All the rulesets that have tried to replace it so far, have all been geared to large battles requiring large collections such as Hail Ceasar. Hopefully the new rules by Gripping Beast won't require such a big start off cost and gaming space.

Hail Caesar doesn't require a large collection and it seems to me people get the wrong impression that it does because the authors have large collections.  You decide how big a unit is for your games -- use DBA stands if you want, or have standard units of three models, and so forth.  It's flexibility is quite nice.

Hail Caesar is philosophically a different game, though.
WAB is focused on units of individual figures and the minutiae of unit formations.  HC focuses on unit positioning and leadership.