Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:04:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Painting advice please -- and gluing  (Read 10704 times)

Offline Jennifer

• Scientist
Re: Painting advice please -- and gluing
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2016, 10:05:51 PM »
Does Tamiya work well with PLA?  i.e. 3D printed plastic items.

Offline Jennifer

• Scientist
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2016, 11:49:41 PM »
Does Tamiya work well with PLA?  i.e. 3D printed plastic items.

Tried it. Did not work at all.  Zero melting.  The PLA plastic must not be of the right chemical makeup for this to work.

Offline throwsFireball

• Scientist
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2016, 05:05:56 AM »
Tried it. Did not work at all.  Zero melting.  The PLA plastic must not be of the right chemical makeup for this to work.

It's probably the ester bonds on the PLA.

That and the huge gaps between trying to join it up.

You'll need an epoxy for it.

Offline Azzabat

• Scientist
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2016, 10:32:00 AM »
WOW ... those last few comments went totally over my head. I now feel REALLY old! Now ... where'd I put my pen and cassette tape?   lol
I know the voices aren't real .... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2016, 10:55:10 AM »
Yeah it's all the new abbreviations for the different versions of plastic, I don't know what half of them stand for. it just used to be hard plastic or soft bendy plastic. Now there's so many versions with technical terms and abbreviations  :?

Offline Jennifer

• Scientist
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2016, 12:09:04 PM »
Yeah it's all the new abbreviations for the different versions of plastic, I don't know what half of them stand for. it just used to be hard plastic or soft bendy plastic. Now there's so many versions with technical terms and abbreviations  :?

I just learned about PLA plastic since I got into 3D printing -- like  6 weeks ago.   PLA prints at lower temps and doesn't need a heated bed.  ABS is more durable and a bit more flexible than PLA, but requires higher filament heater temp and bed temp -- it's also quite smelly and more toxic.  PETG is like inbetween PLA and ABS .. needs a bit more heat than PLA (both extruder and bed) but less heat than ABS .. also smells less--hence less toxic.

Offline Harry

• Scientist
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2016, 05:59:10 AM »
WOW ... those last few comments went totally over my head. I now feel REALLY old! Now ... where'd I put my pen and cassette tape?   lol
What is this casette tape of which you speak. I shall go and listen to my gramaphone.

Loads of good advice here.I would have suggested buying some junk minis of ebay to have a play with but now I have seen your painting I can see you don't need to do that. :D
The next bit of advice I would give you is buy good brushes ... but you have already done thtt.
Next paint neatly ... simple techniques done neatly will give you nice minis.
Next always, always thin your paint ...probably thinner than you would imagine making any kind of sense. Several thin coats of paint will give better results than one thick one. Even painting  a base coat of the same colour I will often do a couple of thin coats rather than try and cover it in one go.
Next play ... experimant ... play with washes, play with dry brushing. Layering and blending highlights is the way to go for incredible paint jobs but you can go a long way with base colours washes and drybrushing. for most parts of the model.
Last thought from me. .... faces and bases. These are the bits of the model that you notice the most. Put most of your efforts into painting the face really well and doing some nice basing. Even standard minis look good with a good face and a good base.
Then as someone else said ... paint the minis you love and want to play with....or you will end up with a lot of half painted miniatures.
Good Luck.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 06:16:04 PM by Harry »

Offline Azzabat

• Scientist
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2016, 03:29:19 PM »
@Jennifer, how's the Frost Giant coming along? Or have you been seduced (or consumed) by your new 3D printer?

C J   = )