Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:35:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Scratch Built Ma.K. Hover Tank updated 01.06.16 (UPDATED)  (Read 21265 times)

Offline philp

• Assistant
Re: Scratch Built Ma.K. Hover Tank updated 22.04.16
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2016, 06:29:13 PM »
I like the sponge technique but not sold on the turret and hull being different colors.  Have you thought about continuing one of the colors?  Either bring the green from the turret down to the upper part of the hull or the sand of the hull up to the lower part of the turret?  You could use a wavy demarcation which would help break up the profile.

One other thing, I would bring the turret down so the bottom is on the hull like tracked tanks today.  That gap would be a huge shot trap in combat.

Again, just my ideas.  It is your model and you should do it how you want.

By the way, I really like the look of the engine deck area.  Might borrow some of the look for my conversion.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2016, 06:33:17 PM »
I like the sponge technique but not sold on the turret and hull being different colors.  Have you thought about continuing one of the colors?  Either bring the green from the turret down to the upper part of the hull or the sand of the hull up to the lower part of the turret?  You could use a wavy demarcation which would help break up the profile.

One other thing, I would bring the turret down so the bottom is on the hull like tracked tanks today.  That gap would be a huge shot trap in combat.

Again, just my ideas.  It is your model and you should do it how you want.

By the way, I really like the look of the engine deck area.  Might borrow some of the look for my conversion.

I think I'll keep the green turret and brown hull - I like the effect.

The turret will sit on the hull. It is like this for now as there is an additional magnet between the turret and the hull I find it easier to paint the two parts with this spacer. When the painting is finished the turret will sit on the hull (as a conventional turret/tank).

Thanks for the comments - we'll see how it progresses when I start decalling.

Tony
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 07:20:16 PM by dampfpanzerwagon »

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2016, 07:18:07 PM »
I like the sponge technique but not sold on the turret and hull being different colors.  Have you thought about continuing one of the colors?  Either bring the green from the turret down to the upper part of the hull or the sand of the hull up to the lower part of the turret?  You could use a wavy demarcation which would help break up the profile.

One other thing, I would bring the turret down so the bottom is on the hull like tracked tanks today.  That gap would be a huge shot trap in combat.

Again, just my ideas.  It is your model and you should do it how you want.

By the way, I really like the look of the engine deck area.  Might borrow some of the look for my conversion.

OK now you've got me questioning if I'm doing the right thing with the green turret and the brown hull!

When I first read your comment I was certain I wanted to continue with the original theme. Now I'm not so certain - Damn it!

I like the 'lizard scheme' seen on some Ma.K's and this could work as either the green continuing down the hull or the brown around the bottom of the turret.

I think I'll stay with the original them and add the decals. Then (although this may be too late by then) I will review the scheme.

I have been lucky enough to have received a number of very constructive comments during this built, all have helped and although this is (obviously) a flight if fantasy the technical questions and comments have been hugely beneficial - keep them coming.

Thanks again.

Tony
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 07:21:29 PM by dampfpanzerwagon »

Offline philp

• Assistant
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2016, 07:54:00 PM »
No problem Tony.  Looking forward to seeing it finished.

I have the same issue when I make sci-fi vehicles.  It is all fun until I get to the painting stage and then I become stuck.  Have an Armored car from Battletech that I am thinking of doing something along the tire track camo line.  Something like this only with a dark grey main color and maybe another lighter splinter color along with the track camo (going to use screen to help make the look).  Still stuck on how to paint my hover tank.  The British tri color desert scheme gets overused as does the German ambush scheme.  But just painting it straight desert tan lacks interest.  Did find this one which I think must have been done using chicken wire to help mask but could be wrong.

Have the same problem with Mechs.  I have several Battlemechs in 72nd but unless I am doing a specific one (like from the books) trying to come up with a finish really stymies me.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2016, 09:11:08 PM »
I quite like the colour tones of both hull and turret, but I agree that a straight-edge demarcation might be a bit jarring.

I assume that the pic you showed as the inspiration shows a Sandstalker in Mercenary colours, not SDF colours. I once did a Sandstalker-type vehicle in a mottled bluegrey camo scheme, using a dark top and light bottom:

While I am not as happy with the scheme as I used to be back then, I still think that breaking up the demarcation area with smaller blots of the dark top tone might work. Alternatively, you could use the Stuka Snake decals you mentioned earlier to cover up the joint, although that might require adding an underpaint of white, depending on the decal quality.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2016, 09:17:47 PM »
Painting's coming along nicely.

I think the constrast is quite strong now, but once decals and final weathering is applied the two halves will be tied together. Your initial inspiration for the scheme had a green wave on the hull, you may just need something green on the hull of yours (green decal, painting 1-2 elements green, etc).
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2016, 06:32:56 AM »
We will have to wait and see.....

Tony
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 06:25:26 PM by dampfpanzerwagon »

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Scratch Built Ma.K. Hover Tank updated 25.04.16
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2016, 08:18:23 AM »
Firstly, four images of the newly applied transfers - for details of just how difficult they were to apply - please see my Blog.

Then two images of the modified and repaired transfers.

I have also included on the Blog, some comments and images showing that there are others who have decided that a green turret on a brown hull is OK!

Tony
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/mak-hover-tank-part-22.html

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2016, 08:50:47 AM »
Lovely - saving the snake was worth it. The white decals also ties the two halves together.

Offline philp

• Assistant
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2016, 05:51:26 PM »
Looks good but I would still get rid of that shot trap  ;)

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2016, 09:52:29 PM »
Nice Tony! The washed down turret looks better already. I wasn't aware of axis camo colours like that at the end of wwII. Thanks for sharing!

Applying your oil/dust/dirt weathering will really blend them together well.

Cheers
Matt

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Scratch Built Ma.K. Hover Tank updated 26.04.16
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2016, 05:19:40 PM »
Once the decals were sealed, I varnished the whole model with Galleria Matt Varnish, then added weathering by first drybrushing and then applying powdered artists pastels.

As usual, more details on the Blog.

Tony
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/mak-hover-tank-part-23.html
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 07:14:16 PM by dampfpanzerwagon »

Offline philp

• Assistant
Re: Scratch Built Ma.K. Hover Tank updated 26.04.16
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2016, 05:22:17 PM »
Looks good to me.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia