Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:05:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Frostgrave from the North  (Read 51944 times)

Offline Troll Player Fun

• Student
    • Frostgrave Pinterest Board
Re: Frostgrave from the North
« Reply #180 on: March 07, 2021, 06:52:28 AM »
Nice work. Interesting blog.

One piece sheets, I'm not a fan of individual block by block, doesn't look good and must be a total nightmare to do.

Block by block is how our world has been constructed, is civilization a total nightmare ?

On your blog you mentioned you like YouTube.

Check out a channel there called Bard's Craft.

He may or may not change your own opinion of assembling individual foam model buildings block by block, however thousands of his subscribers might disagree with your statement.

This past year was spent examining and collecting photo reference material from other crafters on Pinterest, YouTube, and other hobby related forums.

I am beginning to suspect that many YouTube channel gurus and online Bloggers do the same; then under the guise of producing and posting tutorials deliberately fail to credit others for the techniques and idea concepts they "borrowed" and inappropriately pass off as their own.

Intellectual property is an illusion with the shelf life of a banana.

What does or doesn't look good depends upon personal biased perception.

A total nightmare would be not ever having tried and tested out anything new, nor or attempting to do anything different at all based upon some one else's opinion that has never tried.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 09:58:04 AM by Troll Player Fun »
Frostgrave Pinterest board: https://www.pinterest.com/trollplayerfun/

Offline M.O.T.N

• Librarian
    • Edinburgh Miniature Company
« Reply #181 on: March 07, 2021, 09:38:16 AM »
That looks like an interesting channel.. I do listed to audiobooks or youtube when crafting (but never hobby related stuff).

I've been doing this for over 20 years, I've built block by block many times and never took to it completely. A single sheet of XPS, textured with a real piece of quartz stone, then imprinted with square shapes to give the bricks depth is the most effective method I've landed on. XPS sheets from firedragon actually do some of this for you so it's a massive time saver.

Pretty sure some of my techniques I gleaned from the Lord of the Rings extended edition DVD's circa 2002-3, all the 'making of' production interviews they did with Weta Workshop. The techniques I'm using are close to the ones they built the Minas Tirith models with.

And absolutely yes - most youtubers or bloggers learned the stuff elsewhere... and techniques change and evolve over time, anyone trying to claim ownership for them is a bit silly. Commercially bought terrain and now 3d printing are evolving the landscape of this somewhat.

David Neat is also the source for many advanced modellers methods. Wargaming terrain builders are generally second order when compared to actual model makers, even architectural model makers.

Offline M.O.T.N

• Librarian
« Reply #182 on: March 07, 2021, 09:44:08 AM »
I see you've edited your post since I replied.

I wouldn't compare model making to the rise of civilisation, or building the great wall of china... they don't have sheets of bricks to cut with hot wire and affix with pva glue in the real wold haha.

Offline M.O.T.N

• Librarian
« Reply #183 on: March 07, 2021, 10:09:55 AM »

Block by block is how our world has been constructed, is civilization a total nightmare ?

On your blog you mentioned you like YouTube.

Check out a channel there called Bard's Craft.

He may or may not change your own opinion of assembling individual foam model buildings block by block, however thousands of his subscribers might disagree with your statement.

A total nightmare would be not ever having tried and tested out anything new, nor or attempting to do anything different at all based upon some one else's opinion that has never tried.

Even if millions disagreed, I wouldn't mind  :)

Offline Troll Player Fun

• Student
« Reply #184 on: March 07, 2021, 10:34:23 AM »
I prefer whimsical texture with a sprinkle of disorder in my masonry,  it adds content and character.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 12:35:39 PM by Troll Player Fun »

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #185 on: March 07, 2021, 10:56:28 AM »

Very nice build, I would like to see some photos of the completed buildings in detail if you can.     

In the block by block vs sheet debate I have done both over the years and still use both today.  IMO it is really how much bang do you get for the effort.  Block by block is quite labour intensive when building a model and if that effort is visually lost then it is not worth it. 

Just my two cents.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Troll Player Fun

• Student
« Reply #186 on: March 07, 2021, 11:12:55 AM »

In the block by block vs sheet debate I have done both over the years and still use both today.  IMO it is really how much bang do you get for the effort.  Block by block is quite labour intensive when building a model and if that effort is visually lost then it is not worth it. 

Just my two cents.

I agree that applies to timber framed housing, shops, barracks, etc... However for tumbled stone fortifications built from larger than human sized blocks the intensive titanic effort might appear quite stunning .
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 08:19:03 PM by Troll Player Fun »

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #187 on: March 08, 2021, 12:14:27 AM »
I've used Firedragon games products a number of times with results I am happy with (my BSC entry from last year, for example). I use them for the same reason M.O.T.N. does: looks good and saves time; although I can appreciate the satisfaction of building block-by-block and the end result can be very satisfying.

Offline M.O.T.N

• Librarian
« Reply #188 on: March 08, 2021, 01:44:43 PM »
I've used Firedragon games products a number of times with results I am happy with (my BSC entry from last year, for example). I use them for the same reason M.O.T.N. does: looks good and saves time; although I can appreciate the satisfaction of building block-by-block and the end result can be very satisfying.

Wow looks great, really like that!

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #189 on: March 16, 2021, 10:51:28 PM »
Lovely recent stuff pal, they look great.

Offline M.O.T.N

• Librarian
« Reply #190 on: November 15, 2021, 07:55:25 PM »
I have a feeling Frostgrave is one of these games that I'll play for life and always wheel it out around the winter time...

This thing is from Steamforged games Epic Encounters series, the box set called Halls of the Orc King. It's a snowy/winter themed set of miniatures. They're all way too big, more like games workshop 'heroic' style size. But, they will make good big monster types.

This one here is perfect for some kind of stone troll, which can join my slowly forming Orc warband.

And not to be outdone, I'm going bigger with my next painting session... with a true Mountain King and an Ice Dragon. The Dragon is from the Reaper Bones range. I forget where the giant mini is from, I ordered it off Etsy months ago, super sized.

Online Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #191 on: November 16, 2021, 08:16:50 AM »
Nice additions to your collection - especially the larger beasties. Looking forward to seeing them painted.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #192 on: November 16, 2021, 11:47:29 AM »
looking forward to seeing those big-uns painted.

Offline M.O.T.N

• Librarian
« Reply #193 on: November 19, 2021, 02:16:39 PM »
The phrase 'christmas decorations' was mentioned the other day, my brain equates that to "more Frostgrave terrain".

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #194 on: November 21, 2021, 09:53:36 AM »
wow, great stuff.