Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:00:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: AWI hunting shirt miniatures for the FIW Provincials?  (Read 1870 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
AWI hunting shirt miniatures for the FIW Provincials?
« on: March 05, 2016, 11:58:51 PM »
Wondering if I can use some AWI miniatures in hunting shirts, from Peter Pig, to portray a unit of colony provincials on the British side of the French and Indian War?  Is it too early for such garments? 

Also, with blue and green coated provincials already in place, does it make sense to do the third unit of provincials in a brown theme, in hunting shirts or not?

Thanks for the input.

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
Re: AWI hunting shirt miniatures for the FIW Provincials?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 01:24:29 PM »
First off, let me say I don't want to get into any heated discussions on this one  ::)
but the fancy fringed edged and 'caped' heavy linen hunting shirts used widely during the war of 1812, and probably used a fair bit in the AWI (though opinions among historians vary even on this) was almost certainly yet to be developed at the time of the FIW.
Hunting shirts were around in the FIW but appear to have been a very plain wrap around style worn over shirts and often waistcoats and under a waist belt, or simply the pull-over workman's smock.
I know that there are many about who adhere to the thought that the tufted-fringed caped hunting shirts appeared fully developed rather than evolving from simpler plainer garments, but most of the 'evidence' would seem to be taken from 19th century depictions. Attempts at reverse-engineering historical detail never really works for me, I prefer sound contemporary evidence where available.
I've seen some beautifully painted AWI figures in hunting shirts painted as part of an FIW army, but they still look very AWI.
I would say though, if it pleases you to use them in that way, what the heck, use them.
Your mention of brown coated provincials would be my choice - how about one of the NY units in "drab"? Alternatively, as several of the colonies never actually got their troops into uniform, why not go for using militia as provincials, painting them in a mix of assorted colours but with quite a lot of brown, either as a scattering of uniform items or just a linking colour, after all: "The Yankees do so love a brown coat" is a contemporary quote.

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com  
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 02:00:40 PM by Galloping Major »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 12:33:03 AM »
Yo, Gallop,

No heat from me regarding the FIW - unless I'm modeling up someone getting a roasting!

Actually, that is pretty much what I thought but I am leaning towards doing it as described but not a final decision yet.  My alternative is a New York regiment in drab.  Really depends on what figures I decide to buy.

Thanks for the reply.

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 07:52:38 AM »
You're welcome  :)
I thought you were mulling over the same thing - hence the hesitation.

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com